Need advice on using radial tires with spokes | FerrariChat

Need advice on using radial tires with spokes

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by luvcoupes, Jul 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    I want to replace my very old 40+ year tires with radials. Any advice on what the options are to use a radial tire with the spoked rims, assuming that a tube is not an option? I heard that silicone on the spokes is an option, but that sounds dubious.
    Thanks

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    If your rims were not made to run tubeless, don't try and make them. The problem is not leakage at the spoke-nipples, the problem is the tire-bed.

Tubeless rims have an H2 marking, and have small himps/ridges on the tire-bed to keep the tires seated against the rim-edge, and tube-type rims don't have these.

If you run a tubeless tire on a flat rim at low pressure, the tire-heel can move away from the adge of the rim with all sorts of nasty consequences.

Best,

Jack.

3. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    These are the Borrani wires that came on the 1967 Mexico, so I guess these were never made to run tubeless.
    Thanks

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    run a rubber inner liner, I have seen 3" wide black industrial tape used in lieu of the rubber liner too, then use a tubes

5. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Are you suggesting using a tube with a radial tire?

6. abarth69

abarth69 Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes you can buy a tube for radial tire

Cheers

Mark

7. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Ok, so what are you guys with Boranni wheels using for tires?...radials with tubes?

But what about what f308jack said:

"If your rims were not made to run tubeless, don't try and make them. The problem is not leakage at the spoke-nipples, the problem is the tire-bed.

Tubeless rims have an H2 marking, and have small himps/ridges on the tire-bed to keep the tires seated against the rim-edge, and tube-type rims don't have these.

If you run a tubeless tire on a flat rim at low pressure, the tire-heel can move away from the adge of the rim with all sorts of nasty consequences".

8. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    Wire wheels (Borani or other) MUST be run with a tube. If the tire is radial or not does not matter.
    The spoke nipples MUST be covered. They are usually covered with a rubber ribbon. They are covered in order to protect the tube from mecanical rubbing.

In Europe, all Jaguars, MG, TR, Maserati etc. run this way with wire wheels, tube, rubber ribbon and RADIALS.

Wilfried

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Jack is saying not to run a tire without a tube on a wire wheel unless the wheel was designed for it, which I agree. On the other hand you can safely run a radial tire on a wire wheel with a tube. Maserati has been shipping their cars with Borrani wires with tubes and radials since the early 60's. As was mentioned here, make sure you have a rubber liner or tape to protect the tube. Buy the best tube you can find. I just replaced the tires on a Mistral and bought racing tubes from Lucas Classic Tires.

Lucas Classic Tires

Ivan

10. SteviePPS

SteviePPS Karting

May 11, 2013
    EU
    Full Name:
    Steve Warson
    Sponsor Classic Tires | Longstone has every classic radial and tube in stock that you could need.

I think 205VR15 Pirelli Cinturato is what you need for the Mexico, but I'm sure Dougal will be able to help you. They're also Borrani dealer so can tell you what you can and can't do.

It may sound like I'm working there, but I'm just a very happy customer wanting these guys to be successful.

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Lucas Classic Tires is the USA distributor for Longstone products. I contacted Longstone and they prefer to channel USA sales through Lucas. Lucas prices are essentially the same as Longstone once you do the currency conversion.

I put Pirelli Cinturato 205VR15 CN72 on the Mistral and they look MUCH better than the 215/70x15 P4000 it use to have.

Ivan

12. SteviePPS

SteviePPS Karting

May 11, 2013
    EU
    Full Name:
    Steve Warson

Cool!

Would you perhaps have a pic of the Mistral wearing the new CN72? The Avon Turbosteel currently fitted to a Mistral here as a stopgap solution while Cinturatos were unavailable look to skinny and drive like a truck tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thanks for all of the replies. I won't be purchasing the $500 Pirelli Cinturato 205VR15 CN72, this time around, but the better tubes make sense.
    Cheers

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #14 thecarnut, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The first two photos is the Mistral with Pirelli P4000 215/70x15. I never liked the sidewall lettering and the tire thread just did not look period correct.

The next two photos are with the Cinturatos CN72 205x15. Notice that these tires fill the wheel wells better.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Yes as stated they make tubes for this

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

Is that side marker correct?

17. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Love that car Ivan...
    Will you adopt me soon?

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #18 thecarnut, Jul 16, 2014
    I think so. The other Mistral spyder (#049) has the same side markers. I did a Google search and most Mistrals have these side markers. Do you have something different?

Ivan

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    What I meant was the side markers position. To my eye the marker looks too close the the bumper I did a search too and looking at older original pictures they look like they were mounted in a few different positions, but most seem to have some type of gap between marker and bumper.

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #20 thecarnut, Jul 16, 2014
    All I can say is this is where they put the side lamps on this car. About 8 years ago the car was taken to bare metal. I checked my photos of the naked car and as you can see there was no other hole for the side lamp.

Compared to other deviations I've seen on cars I would consider this one very minor :)

Ivan