Bora - clutch/engine vibration | FerrariChat

Bora - clutch/engine vibration

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jul 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    My Bora has a significant amount of engine vibration when accelerating in first gear from a stationary position. I've experience this same problem with other Boras in the past so I know it is not unique to this car.

Has someone in the collective also had this problem and hopefully solved it? Was the problem within the clutch itself (clutch chatter) or a problem with the engine or transaxle mounts?

Ivan

2. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Ivan,

I have not noticed that in my car. I will pay closer attention to that this weekend and check back in later.

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    If you have not noticed anything then it is not doing it. It is really obvious as the engine shakes.

Ivan

4. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Ivan...

Could it be the bushings or motor mounts, or similar, that attach the engine to the
    engine subframe?? Perhaps these are shot....

Mike

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Ivan,

Is this the same Bora you had clutch-problems with earlier?
    Normally this is associated with shot mounts, but more likely your clutch is contaminated with oil.
    The latter can sometimes be cured by spraying some degreaser on the plate (long thin tube, clutch dis-engaged), but if you have a source for the contamination, this will cure it only temporarilly, and it is a little 'shade-tree mechanic-ish " :) Don't over-do it, you don't want to wash the grease off the splines.
    Of course the right way to do it is confirm the integrity of engine and gearbox mounts, and if OK, take the clutch out.

Best,

Jack.

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #6 staatsof, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    I've never heard of this as you describe it.

So it only does this as you let out the clutch?

Or it happens after you let out the clutch gently in 1st and then accelerate hard?

The engine mounts are those big Vibrachoc spring units up front and the rear is that rubber piece involving the short metal cross bar.

Ivan it's been a long time since I touched the Vibrachoc units on my Bora but I recently had to refurbish smaller ones used for exhaust mounting on my Espada and those were adjustable in tension.

If you run the Bora sans cover you can observe the engine bobbing (no pun intended) around a bit. Maybe yours is too loose up front or something?

You could remove #40 in this diagram and see if the rubber has deteriorated. Mine got used a fair amount in hot environs and I've never experienced what you're talking about.

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/117/Large/117_016.gif

CV boots intact?

7. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    While we are at it, does anyone have a source for new #40's as many of them are certainly getting on in years.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I haven't ever looked into that but once the proper material is figured out I think a mold certainly could be made and a small run of these could be fabricated. That sort of thing is being done all the time now. It would be great to find an NOS version and check the durometer reading of the material.

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  10. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    Have you checked to make sure the carbs are synchronized properly. This will cause the engine to accelerate roughly from idle. Hows the timing? My Bora runs smoothly never had this problem.

11. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    I don't have this problem in my Bora, but I've had a similar problem in two other cars with this type of CV joint. I'm assuming that you don't have the vibration at the same engine speed and/or throttle position in other gears.
    In cars with high mileage (or less if the CV joints have dried-out grease - more likely with a Bora) and not much drive shaft angularity, the six driving balls begin to wear a groove in their races because they always run in the same place. Under hard acceleration, the car squats and the torque applied to the half shafts is greater due to the multiplication of the low first gear. That causes the half shaft to snap back and forth as the balls are forced out of the worn groove. I had this problem in both a VW Camper and a Porsche. The VW was definitely not high performance, but it had been driven lots of miles. It became so severe that the shaft would slam into the hub and differential output flange. If the half shafts are the same length (they are in a Bora), a quick fix is to swap them side to side. That moves the wear point to the other side of the ball race, which has been used only in reverse.

Unlikely, but it fits the symptoms and it has happened on other cars.

12. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
  13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Good suggestion about cleaning the clutch. I suspect the problem is with the clutch itself although I will also look at the mounts.

Ivan

14. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Took my Bora out today to checkout a local F-456 for an out of state F-chatter. I had this thread on my mind the whole time. I did not notice any unusual vibration other the the normal engine bobble Bob described. The again, I just replaced every bit of clutch mechanism there is.

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Shssssh, don't tempt fate and no there's more you haven't replaced.

16. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Staatsof, nice find on the enginemounts!

Kind regards

Kim

17. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Good morning Ivan, et al.
    Looking and re-reading this thread for the Nth time, I believe this problem occurs on mine. I'd describe it as excessive drivetrain "shudder" or "jounce" upon launch from a standstill, which goes away once the clutch is fully engaged and the car is underway.

My observations are;
    - I can affect the amount of 'shudder' by modulation of clutch pressure.
    - I can eliminate the 'shudder' my increasing engine RPM just a tad during launch.
    - Aggressive launches do not suffer the 'shuddering' problem.

As a potential insight; I had the same "launch shudder" problem in a 1985 Honda Prelude where the cause was found to be out-of-spec vibration dampening springs within an aftermarket clutch plate which created a harmonic vibration when engaging the clutch. Replacing the aftermarket clutch plate with an OEM Honda part solved the problem in that case.

- My position is if the "shudder" always stops once the clutch is fully engaged, the engine/tranny mounts are NOT the likely problem.
    - Aggressive launches compress the clutch dampening springs completely and deprive them the ability to set up harmonic vibrations.

What are The Forum's collective thoughts on the above?

Do you have records of a previous clutch replacement?
    Are there known visual distinctions between an OEM Bora/ZF clutch plate vs an aftermarket replacement clutch plate?
    Any idea what mileage a clutch plate typically endures before replacement?

I'm curious what the status of your effort is.
    Best,
    - Art

18. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Dean, where did you or your shop source the clutch plate from? Are there by chance any photos of it?
    Cheers,
    - Art

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Back in the day ... it was a Jag V12 clutch. I verified this at the Maserati & Jag dealer parts counter one day in SF.

I think the PP is the same as some Chevy V8 too?

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I believe the pressure plate and throw out bearing are the same as a Jag V12 e-type but the disc has metric splines on the Maserati and not on the Jag. At least this is what I seem to recall.

Ivan

21. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    A friend stuck a Jag plate in an Indy a couple of years ago. Perfect fit.

Best to look at part-numbers on the centre of the disk and the pressure plate.

For my Jags I used to get the disks re-manufactured and the pressure-plates surface-cleaned and re-shimmed to spec. Never had a problem.

Best,

Jack.

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #22 staatsof, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Art,

All the new clutch parts I installed came from MIE (maseratinet.com). You can buy individually or as a full kit.

24. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean