Ghibli cooling fans question | FerrariChat

Ghibli cooling fans question

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by fgsavoia, Jul 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fgsavoia

fgsavoia Karting

Jul 2, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Francesco
    #1 fgsavoia, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All,

these are the fans installed on my '67 Ghibli.
    If I ain't wrong, the left one is for the air conditioning and the other one for the engine cooling. Is it correct?
    By the way, do they look original?

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fgsavoia

fgsavoia Karting

Jul 2, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Francesco
    #2 fgsavoia, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The early Ghibli had Lucas fans. The one on the left appears to be an original.

These fans were very inefficient and if you intend to drive the car I would recommend installing modern fans that mounts flush against the radiator and move more air.

Some radiators have one sending unit and some have two. I wire the relays so that both fans come on when either temperature sending unit triggers.

Ivan

4. fgsavoia

fgsavoia Karting

Jul 2, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Francesco
    Thanks Ivan,

indeed after a try we realized that the blowing power of these fans (especially of the little one) is very limited.
    The car has two sending units. My only doubt is that one of the two fans (the smaller I suppose) is dedicated to the air conditioning so, in case of replacing those fans with two modern units, I should anyway consider that one of the two should start when the air conditioning is switched on, right?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I wire the fan relays so that both fans start if the AC is turned on. If it is hot enough to turn on the AC then it is hot enough that you want both radiator fans to run.

One of the problems with the original fans on the early Ghiblis is that they are too far from the radiator. Not only they do not push much air but part of that air bounces from the face of the radiator and never goes though the fins. You want the fans to be flush with the radiator. A puller fan is more efficient than a pusher fan but in your car you may want to go with pusher fans as they would be well hidden and the car would look original.

Later Ghiblis had Bosch puller fans and those were fine.

Ivan

6. fgsavoia

fgsavoia Karting

Jul 2, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Francesco
    Thanks Ivan, I'll definitely go for a couple of Kenlowe's.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk