2014 Pebble Beach Motoring Classic | FerrariChat

2014 Pebble Beach Motoring Classic

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jul 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #1 thecarnut, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Ghibli was shipped a few days ago to Kirkland, Washington and I will meet up with it this weekend. My wife and I will be participating in the Pebble Beach Motoring Classic which starts in Kirkland and ends in Monterey over a 9 day period. It is a 1,500 mile tour so, as you can imagine, the tour will not be taking the shortest route.

This is the 10th year of the Motoring Classic and I was told it is the first time a Maserati will be participating. In fact there will also be a 1968 Mistral spyder so the Ghibli will have good company.

This is a link to the Motoring Classic webpage in case you want to read more about it.
    Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance : Events

Hope to see some of you in Monterey.

I will try to post photos during the tour. A Ghibli spyder and many miles of scenic roads in front of you .... life is good.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #2 thecarnut, Aug 6, 2014
    Yesterday was the first day of driving. We left Kirkland, Washington and last night stayed at a hotel close to the Columbia River Gorge. Today we drive the gorge and climb to Mt Hood.

Had a scare when the car lost power after we stopped for lunch. This happened as we were approaching Mt St Helens and it would have been impossible to climb it. Had all the symptoms of fuel starvation. After 30 minutes of searching, found a crimped fuel line next to the fuel pumps. Luckily I had extra fuel hoses with me and problem solved. I sure did not want to be the guy to finish the tour in a rental car :)

The Ghibli did not have problems climbing up Mt Rainer and Mt St Helens. Webers were happy at the higher elevations. Coolant temperature went up to 95 degrees during the steep inclines but quickly returned to 75 degrees coming down the mountain.

There are 21 cars in the tour, including 2 Bentleys from Germany and a Delage and Sinclair from Australia. I will post more about the other cars later.

Photo of the Ghibli with Mt St Helens in the background. This is the volcano that blew up in 1980.

Ivan

3. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    Hi Ivan, the Ghibli looks great and so does the Oregon back drop. Do you know your itinerary? If you are stopping somewhere in the Rogue valley, I'll come by and say hello. I'm leaving for Monterey on Wednesday 8/13.
    Regards,
    Larry

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Wonderful Ivan,

This brings back memories, remember Maser Miglia 2000? Driving the silver Ghibli spyder you had then for a whole afternoon in the Nevada desert was unforgettable, thanks again:)

I know I don't need to write have fun but I will anyway:)

MS

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Surely the controlled explosions in your dry-sump V-8 are much more pleasurable than the un-controlled one that took place at Mt St Helens.

Sounds like a great trip with a good destination to boot!

Enjoy!

Jack.

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Larry,

This Friday the group will be having lunch at Crater Lake Lodge and that afternoon we arrive at the Lodge at Riverside, Grants Pass. Not sure if any of these places are close to you but if they are come and check out some of the neat cars on the drive.

Ivan

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Mark,

Great memories of that trip!! Who would have thought that a Nevada desert would be so hot in the middle of August :)

This trip is more miles but over a longer time period ... and it s not 110 degrees.

Ivan

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #8 thecarnut, Aug 7, 2014
  9. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Great Stuff Ivan!
    A few years ago, Carlos from Costa Rica drove his original Paint 3500 GT on this rally, then showed the car on the Green on Sunday. Afterwards, he drove the car to the East coast for storage there when he visits his daughter in college there.
    Have fun, and we'll see you at the finish line next week!
    RF.

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #10 thecarnut, Aug 8, 2014
    There is a 1928 and a 1929 Bentley that were shipped from Germany. Here they are on top of McKenzie pass Oregon next to a 1955 Ferrari 250GT Europa. It is like a lunar landscape on top of this pass ... very weird.

Ghibli still doing well and eating up the miles.

Ivan

11. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Looks like a nice trip. Is there anyone who's posting more photos of the trip?

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #12 thecarnut, Aug 9, 2014
    This is the 1968 Mistral spyder following the Ferrari 250 Europa.

This Mistral has a very late serial number yet has a 3.7 liter engine. More interesting is that is has drum brakes in the rear. I had never heard of a Mistral with drum brakes. The owner tells me the car had covers over the two front discs to make them looks like drums. I guess the original owner preferred the look of drum brakes.

Ivan

13. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Greetings, Ivan...
    I happened to see you and your group when you stopped at "The Hatchery", in the Columbia Gorge, where I was windsurfing. It's also amusing that you took the classic Mt. Hood picture on Hwy 35 about a mile from my ranch.
    Next year I'll try to remember when this Tour is around to make a rendezvous.
    Have a great trip!
    Gary

14. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    #14 carnutz, Aug 9, 2014
    Roberto Puerto,you want photos? Here's more photos. These were taken in Grants Pass, Oregon on Sunday. Unfortunately the owners were on a jet boat ride while I was there, so the security guard and I were the only ones at the cars. There were two Maseratis, Ivan Ghibli spyder and a Mistral spyder, but they have already been shown. The only Ferrari was a Europa from the late 50's I guess.
    Larry

15. Italian Stampede

Jul 10, 2014
    Great photos, please keep them coming!

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I wonder if they will go through the eel river area of Humboldt? Fantastic drive.

17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #17 thecarnut, Aug 10, 2014
  18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #18 thecarnut, Aug 10, 2014
    Today we started in Eureka, CA and then took mostly back roads to the Avenue of the Giants (trees). Really nice drive through the giant redwood forest. Later in the day we took Hyw 1 which is a nice winding road over the mountains. We are now just south of Mendocino, CA.

1,270 miles traveled since we left Kirkland, WA and two driving days to go. Ghibli (knock on wood) still going strong.

First photo is another of my favorite cars in the tour, a 1931 Delage D8S also shipped from Australia. Photo was taken in front of the Carson Mansion in Eureka. Second photo is the Ghibli amongst the giant trees. It is hard to capture with a camera just how big these trees are.

Ivan

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Enjoying the pictures .. Keep them coming!

Mike

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #20 thecarnut, Aug 10, 2014
    Gary,

Small world! The stop at The Hatchery was not in the tour book. We saw all the windsurfers and decided to check it out. All I can say is you are a very brave man to do that! The wind was whipping and the water had white caps everywhere ... not to mention the current.

Since most of my replacement body parts are NLA think I will skip that sport :)

Ivan

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Excellent Larry.

Any more ? ;)

It's just that these days it's more typical to see a flood of photos and with the prestige of this event I thought a pro might be covering it?

22. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    Bob, sorry no more photos. I'm sure more will pop up along the journey. Only two of the cars will be on the lawn at Pebble, but all the cars will be on the Pebble tour which stops in Carmel for us peons to see.
    Larry

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Me be a peon also. Thanks for posting!

24. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Great Stuff Ivan! Welcome to California!
    How is the Cord doing? I have one, and am very interested. They are strong & torquey, and if supercharged, quite the hot rod.
    Gotta love those Redwoods!
    Thanks, RF.

25. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #25 thecarnut, Aug 11, 2014
    The Cords are doing well. Apparently their cooling system can be a bit marginal and they need to be careful on the long inclines. I am normally not into pre-war American cars but a Cord is something I would not mind trying out. I really like the styling, especially the supercharged ones with the side pipes.

Today we went down the coast on Hyw 1. By 10:30am the fog had lifted providing spectacular ocean views. After about 90 miles we turned inland and had lunch at a winery.

There is a really nice light green Kaiser Darrin. This is the nicest Darrin I've seen.

Ivan