Vignale ready for Monterey | FerrariChat

Vignale ready for Monterey

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by eogorman, Aug 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    #1 eogorman, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    What a beauty.... More photos please :)

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Wow, that's gorgeous.

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Very, very nice ! Look forward checking it out in Monterey.

Ivan

5. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Is that a fan blade I see sticking up through the fan shroud?
    FGM

6. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Absolutely stunning!

7. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Well from the picture it does look like the fan is sticking thru the shroud but it is not. There is a slot in the shroud and you can see the fan thru it. Sorry I am not the best photographer

8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    It is very nice to see a well sorted Vignale Spyder such as yours.

I would like to know more about how it is fitted. i.e. Brakes, disc drums, 4 sp or 5 sp matching numbers etc.

As they rise in price more and more of them will get what I will call - a Pebble restoration - and from there they will end up in a man cave somewhere as an investment vehicle and seldom driven.
    Our community will see them less and less and that's a shame.
    That inline six on webers is a sight and sound to behold, as you well know.
    Having owned a Ghibli Spyder for over 18 years I found it to be - excuse me - but too civilized. The Mistral Spyder I found to be sporty and refined but with a driving position that did not agree with my long legs which made long drives (for me) uncomfortable.
    The Vignale on the other hand has leg room to spare and is in my humble opinion the best of the best when all is considered. With a properly tuned suspension and an engine that has been blueprinted this lovely package will perform to the nines and never leave you wanting for more.

I was out driving my Mitchell L Mitchell 3500 a couple nights ago, I like to take it out between 7PM and 9:30PM. From Mercer Island I drove East on Highway 90 to North Bend in the Mountains.
    Driving these cars is as most of you know is the only way to keep them in good working order. The object is to burn a ¼ tank of gas or more on each outing but the dam thing gets such great gas mileage it is hard to do.
    So on the way back I take the exit to Carnation on onto Duval through the winding country roads. It is here that the 3500 is a pure pleasure. The only thing better would be to have the top come down. You're a lucky man Gene and you were very smart to resist all the offers that I’m sure came your way over the years.

Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to acquire a Vignale Spyder to take on those lovely winding country roads on my evening summer drives.
    I am looking forward to seeing you and your car in Monterey.

Ciao,
    FGM

9. 1Hurthutoy15

1Hurthutoy15 Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    HI Eugene,

She's is a beauty! Can't wait to see it in person at Monterey.
    Jacques

10. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Beautiful car Eugene! I will look for it and say hello.

Looking forward to seeing all the entire range of cars for this 100 year event.

11. ADCraig

ADCraig Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    West Vancouver, BC
    Looking forward to seeing it in a few days!

12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Eugene...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Mike

13. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Frank as you probably remember I have had the car for 32 years and took it to the first Maserati meet at the Quail Lodge. Yes the car is a numbers matching engine and chassis. The 5 speed transmission number does not match the chassis but I believe this is the case with most of the 3500 cars. According to the factory docs it did come with a 5 speed and wire wheels. Most of the parts on the car are stamped with the body number which is 125. Both bumpers and most of the trim have this number. It has drum brakes in rear and discs in the front As you can note from the front the running lights are not the standard 3500 lights. I did not understand this for many years. Fabio did some research on the files for the car and advised the car was returned to the factory in 1966 and fitted with these larger light with Marchal TP6 lamps for rallys. He sent me a copy of the work order for the modification. The car did not come with the hard top but I did get one with the car when I bought it 30+ years ago. Last year I pulled the engine to replace the rear main (sound familiar) and detailed the engine compartment. I did checked all the bearing clearances at the time and had lapped the valves to be sure the seal with the seats were good. As you mentioned driving these cars is the most important part of keeping them running. Due to the paint work it had not been run for 6 months so it certainly needed a little Italian tune up when I got it back together. I think I have correctly restored and replaced the hoses and clamps on the engine, but I would welcome your comments if you see anything that you believe is not correct. The car was repainted 30 years ago in the correct silver and in lacquer.

14. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    That is a really great story.
    I was wondering about those fog lights and you have cleared that up.
    I am not the kind of guy to pick another mans car apart, unless asked.
    Little things do not mean much to me as they can be fixed later.
    The important thing is drivability and reliability. One must always strive to keep the car in drivable, reliable condition. The test is to be able to jump in the car and head off on a 500 or 1000 mile drive with NO problems. Everything else is secondary.

To digress, I now find that I will not be driving my Mitchell car, except to run some fuel through him and to keep it maintained. I have come to realize that if I were to get into an accident it would destroy the value of its originality. Having a never wrecked car with original paint means it can only be that way once and as the caretaker I must be sure it survives my tenure as the currant owner. It is one thing to have accident repairs to one of my other 3500's, It is quite something else for the Mitchell car.
    My compliments once again for a really great Vignale.
    FGM

15. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    Great car, Gene! Love the Vignale.

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Karting

Nov 18, 2012
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    One of the most beautiful cars ever manufactured. Jawdropping to say the least. I know there is at least one in our remote little corner of the world, but I guess I will never see it in person.
    You are one lucky man Eugene.

17. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Fantastic! More Pictures pretty please!

kind regards

Kim

18. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Very, very cool...!

:)

19. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Very nice Eugene, I really do like those "big eyes" on the car. Well done!!!