Concorso | FerrariChat

Concorso

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by jippiejake, Aug 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    #1 jippiejake, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #2 Portenos, Aug 18, 2014
  3. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Thanks for the pictures..
    Do you have any others please?
    Julian

4. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #4 Portenos, Aug 18, 2014
    Here are some more. I forgot to mention the 3500 Sebrings which brought the number to 15 if my count is correct which i am not sure of.
    Again really great cars!!
    ThePrototype Vignale spider of Phil White won first place in the Concorso Italiano category followed by Pamela Womack's Beautiful Bora followed by Roland Foss' Shamal, yes the one and only Shamal in the USA was there at the show.
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nice to see the Shamal too! But what possessed him to black out the windows?

Looks like it was foggy?

6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Overcast in the early AM, then beautiful sunshine all day from about 10:30.
    FGM

7. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Shamal is very cool, but maybe a bit too much black going on there? Like Bob said, the windows didn't need to be blacked out. A moderate tint would have worked fine.

Also, I was under the impression that the Vignale prototype was Ivan's car, isn't that the one he documented restoring recently? I recognize the hood "bubble" that continues into the car as part of the instrument cluster. Did he sell it, or am I thinking of another car?

Beuatiful cars, the Sebrings have such graceful lines.

8. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #8 velocetwo, Aug 18, 2014
    Lots of great cars but i found some of the displays poorly done and broken up. I have been going to CI for the past fifteen years only missing one event and the Maserati cars are normally lined up beautifully. This year it looked like they started to line the cars up and then it got away from them. There were six or seven Ghibli's lined up in the center but another six scattered everywhere.

In past years when Frank ran the show there were some impressive center displays that would stop you in your tracks. This year there was little rhyme or reason to the Maserati upper center display and it just looked jumbled up.

I think the new owner really needs to focus on these visual displays because this is how the press and the world view the event.

IMO the Black Horse site is much better than the old Laguna Seca site. The parking and traffic was well organized, there is lots of room, fields are more level, the views are beautiful and there is a nice breeze to keep the heat down. A few people mentioned that they wish the beverage areas were spread out a bit more, all in all it was a very nice event.

9. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    The pictures are fantastic. I understand that there were a couple of Ghibli Spyders at Concorso.
    Did anyone snap a few pictures?

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Concorso was a lot of fun and it was great to see people I had not seen for some time. Sorry I was not able to stay for the post show party but I had another thing to attend.

The problem with Monterey week is that there are way too many things going on at the same time!! I didn't even have time to look at the two Ghibli spyders that were up for auction.

Ivan

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No shortage of nice Ghiblis!

But the derangement of cars, what happened with that?

Ivan I think you probably missed out on a nice post show party. It's turned into quite a tradition.

The secret to doing all of Monterey these days is cloning!

12. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Any Khamsins?

13. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Congratulations to the winners - all of them

When it came to judging the Maseratis at this years Concorso Italiano, thing got a little out of hand.
    It seems the Judging team from the Maserati Club thought it was their duty – and somewhat correctly I might add - to choose the first, second and third place winners from the over 130 beautiful Maseratis in attendance.
    Meanwhile at the same time a team of judges assigned by the Concorso was busy picking their 1st, 2nd. And 3rd place winners as well.
    The first group to the stage wins the awards and in this case it was the cars chosen by the Concorso. When the other cars arrived at the stage they were received with great enthusiasm by the MC, but no award was presented.

So what to do?
    The fair-minded organizers of the show simply announced dual awards and confirmed two first place winners and two 2nd and 3rd place winners.
    Problem solved everyone is happy.
    The winners were

As chosen by CI
    1st Place 1959 Maserati Vignale Prototype owned by Philip White
    2nd Place 1974 Maserati Bora owned by Pamela Womack
    3rd Place 1994 Maserati Shamal owned by Roland Foss

Chosen by the Maserati Club
    1st Place 1974 Ghibli Spyder SS owned by Victor Preisler
    2nd Place 1961 Vignale Spyder owned by Bill LeMasters
    3rd Place 1994 Maserati Shamal owned by Roland Foss
    Ciao,
    FGM

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    :eek:!

100th anniversary celebrated with a trophy CF? :D

Let's look at the bright side, more people won something ... :rolleyes:

15. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    #15 carnutz, Aug 19, 2014
    The Concorso was held on Saturday, which had over 100 Maserati's and on Sunday about 50 went to Laguna Seca racetrack to watch the races. During the lunch break the Maserati's were allowed to do a couple of controlled laps around the course. Here are a couple of photos of the cars staging to go on the track. In the first photo is George Andreini's very nice silver Khamsin followed by my 1967 4.0 liter Mistral followed by Al Lancaster's Ghibli SS and then Colin Craig's 3500GTI.
    I don't think any of us got over 50 miles an hour, but dropping through the 'cork screw' even at reduce speed was very exciting. A good time was had by all.
    Larry

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks Larry.

Did you all fit on the track at one time?

17. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    Bob, there was a limit of 150 Maseratis allowed on the track, but only about 50 showed up. They broke us up into four groups so we had some space to run through the gears. I had the steering wheel in one hand, the camera in the other and and somehow shifting at the same time. The video makes me feel seasick because the camera wasn't stable and if I can find a way to post it I will. Hopefully someone with a roof mounted GoPro will post a better video (Andrew C?).
    Larry

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    "In the first photo is George Andreini's very nice silver Khamsin"

AM120US1172, owned by him for decades, fitted with after market wire wheels, on the cover of VCM many years ago.

Best regards,

MS

19. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    Bob, here is the video of the first lap. I had a hand held camera and it was a juggling act between holding the camera level, steering and shifting. If I had another hand it would've been a lot better. This video was recorded in a red 1967 Mistral coupe.
    After the first lap I put the camera down and drove with both hands. I did a lot better. It was great fun.
    Larry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzw_MunQfZA&feature=youtu.be

20. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I was at Concorso as well with my car and thought it was all in all a great day but I was a little disappointed that with all the talk of the 100th anniversary of Maserati, little was made of it at the event. Even the location of the Maseratis off to one side over a small rise seemed unfortunate given what I had expected to be top billing this year.

Regarding placement of the cars, just after I parked my car I overheard one of the organizers saying that they were missing some plans or something and would be doing the best they could.

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    In 88 there was no way to fit them all on the track so it was just a single pass on the track and off again into the parking area. Man there were a lot of great GT cars there that year. In 2000 I don't know if we all fit on or not? I was driving a friends QPIII ferrying folks around, nothing like a QPIII down the corkscrew ...

A Bora caught on fire and caused some disruption, wasn't mine.

22. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008

Bob, I was there in 1988 and again in 2000. This year we were allowed to go faster, although there was always a pace car nearby that you weren't allowed to pass. No catastrophes that I know of, or stalls. The Bora in 2000 had a carb fire that was quickly put out and I don't think caused too much damage.You should have come out this year.
    Larry

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks Larry. Other things kept us of from attending this time.

24. ADCraig

ADCraig Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    West Vancouver, BC
    My pictures and video are coming!!

I'm just going through them all and processing the GoPro footage from Colin's 3500GTi.

25. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Yes, one of the car ushers mentioned to me on Friday afternoon while placing my Mexico that they were 10 cars short. And then I noticed that Bruce from the Riverside Museum was not there with some cars from his collection, as he had 4 or 5 cars at Desert Concorso.
    Any info on why he was not there, or did I just miss him?