AC when rebuilding #854 - What do i do? | FerrariChat

AC when rebuilding #854 - What do i do?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hello,

during the process of restoring Mexico #854 i will face the task of dealing with the AC which my car was factory equipped with. When my information is right these cars were equipped with York AC compressors, which were not that reliable in the old days and are very difficult to rebuilt (if you happen to get any parts for them).
    Since i am not a fanatic regarding the originality of a car and prefer practicability where possible, i am thinking about replacing the old stuff with modern AC components.
    Does anybody have first hand experiences with that or can give me ideas what to do best with the AC? The last option would always be to leave the AC original but non-functional (which will be the case on most cars with York compressors now, i guess). This would not be a big deal because it doesn't get that hot in Germany normally in summertime, but a working AC is definitely a plus...

Any ideas or hints? Help is appreciated big time.

CU lbird

2. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    Will face the same problem so curious to hear thoughts and ideas
    Best
    Dirk

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You seem to have a lot of strange notions about York compressors.

If originality is not that important then go with a modern compressor as it will have a much smoother engagement and will be far more efficient. There are outfits that specialize in this sort of stuff here. Try looking up Vintage Air. They could probably help you transform that old system into a good functioning system but probably not terribly original looking. I don't know if they'd be willing to work with an old York or Tecumseh style compressor but it doesn't hurt to ask. They're mostly focused on Hot Rod stuff.

I have seen guys rework the AC systems on some of the older Maserati's and keep them rather original looking. I think Keith Dooley did that on a very nice green Sebring. I'm probably going to be seeing him in a couple weeks and that car so I can ask if you like?

Over here York compressors are quite common and not that hard to find. You may have to do a slight substitution of the model though. I haven't rebuilt one in years so I don't know about doing one now. They're still used in trucks and reliability is not an issue.
    The Italians designed terrible automotive AC systems. The Americans knew what they were doing.

Bob S.

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Putting a modern AC compressor on a Sebring is much easier than on one of the V8 models where the compressor is mounted on the water pump. Any substitution would need to have the exact dimensions in order for the cable that pulls the water pump to work properly. Perhaps someone is making a rotary compressor using the old York housing ... I would be interested if someone is doing it.

My biggest complaint of the York compressor is that they can vibrate too much. You feel it inside the car when the AC compressor kicks on. Also, I have seen water pump brackets crack because of these vibrations. Maserati later added extra reinforcement to the water pump brackets.

Ivan

5. Falta125

Falta125 Karting

Mar 11, 2012
    The problem is not with the compressor, york compressors are used on everything from Porsche's to Freightliner trucks, it's the fact that a Mexico doesn't use a fan shroud, i just fabricated a 2 piece shroud and installed a set of Spal fans in Mexico 068. At the same time i converted it over to 134. Blows cold now! The only thing left would be to improve the interior fan blower to provide improved flow(higher speed).

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    A tip for increasing the air flow is to add a relay to the circuit. As a test, temporarily connect the fan directly to the starter or battery using a 12 gauge wire. You will probably see at least a 20% improvement.

With the factory design, current must flow from the battery, through the fuse, through the amp gauge, through the fan switch and perhaps several connectors. In all of these connections you some some amperage. Run a 12 gauge wire from the starter or battery, with an inline fuse to a relay. Use the existing wiring to trigger the relay. Do not cut or modify any of the original wires.

Ivan

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I understand but don't get me started on the idiocy of that very peculiar design.
    Perhaps I misspoke on the Mexico, does it use it as well? If so my condolences to all of you.

Hiding a modern compressor inside the body of a York/Tecumseh style unit would be pretty damn neat!

I think you can fix or find a York for way less money than that would be.

Let us not forget, they're old cars.

+1 on the airflow.

The Bora needs a much bigger recirculation inlet which I've been told is not that hard to do.

And voltage drop is a potential everywhere in these cars from the fuel pumps to the interior blower fan and the radiator fans.

I just bought a factory upgrade harness for my Biturbo that solves this issue for the radiator fans.

8. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I was thinking about such a solution. Keep the appearance original, but use modern tech. I will contact the company which is currently rebuilding my radiator about it, they also specialize in AC...

CU lbird

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The Mexico has the AC compressor mounted on the water pump.

The AC blower on the Bora suffers from lack of air supply. Air comes into the cavity where the blower motor is located through the small hole in the air vent between the windshield and the hood. The blower simply does not have enough air to push. One solution is to put spacers on the carpeted cover so that the blower motor can also use the air inside the trunk.

Ivan

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No I'm talking about the internal circulation within the cabin. There really shouldn't be any air flow through the trunk unless the seal around that radiator exit vent is poor and you don't want any of that air.

Remove the screws holding that panel in the trunk, turn on the fan full speed and try and pull the panel off. You're right it's starved for air. Recirculating the air within the cabin and more of it is what you want. A friend of mine made this modification and helped a lot. He also added another outlet in the horizontal strip beneath the glove box.
    It looks fine but it's probably not something most people would do now.

Unwanted air also enters the car via the radiator & shift linkage tunnel especially at very high speeds.

11. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
  12. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Everyone seems to have missed the point that the compressor is in fact a very rare model 206R R referring to a right hand rotation or the opposite of all the others.
    Yes, from the outside they look like a common York compressor, but not so fast, upon closer investigation you will notice they are quite different.
    I highly encourage you or anyone else to make your best effort to keep your car as original as possible. Do not cobble it up with a bunch of after market ad on Pep Boys stuff.

We/you owe it to the heritage of the marque to keep it as original as possible.
    You could perhaps get it rebuilt and to solve the problem that Ivan mentions get it balanced to the "nats ass." Although I have not personally experienced many cars with out of balance compressors, I suppose there are some and in some cases the out of balance could be found in the pulley and other rotating parts connected to the compressor.
    There it is, buffet style, take what you want and leave the rest.
    Ciao,
    FGM

13. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    #13 ghibliman, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
  15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm going to guess that the compressor runs a different direction on the early front engined V8s because of that screwy water pump drive?

Still, a rebuilder or parts shouldn't be terribly hard to find over here.

Keep all the old parts if you put a Sanden in it. That might be harder than just having it rebuilt though.