Any Meraks in the San Diego Area? | FerrariChat

Any Meraks in the San Diego Area?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by kcentanni, Oct 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcentanni

kcentanni Rookie

May 2, 2014
    Hello. I own a 1975 Merak (AM122US2118. It's been transplanted with a Chevy 350 Small Block.) I've owned this car for about 6 months. I live in New Orleans. I don't know of any other Meraks in the area. I'm going to be in San Diego next week (and again in December.) I'd like to know if there's any Merak owners who would be willing to show me their cars. I need to sort out my LHM system.

Thanks!

-kpc

2. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    You may want to try the Merak Group.

I heard through the grapevine they are a difficult lot to deal with, still worth a try.

Just Sayin! :)

Ciao,
    George

3. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I believe he already posted with the Merak group as I noticed a thread started similar to this one the other day..

Now onto the LHM, what problems are you having...? I would be more than happy to help you in anyway as I have rebuilt my 75 system and am in the process of rebuilding a system in a 78. Its really pretty simple and straightforward.

Cheers,
    Jason

4. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Yep! The post was for humor's sake, just to be semi-amusing.

Ciao,
    George

5. kcentanni

kcentanni Rookie

May 2, 2014
    Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your offer to help me sort out the hydraulics issues.

When I first bought the car, things *seemed* to be working properly... but, since I have nothing to compare it to, I'm not 100% sure if everything was in order. I was able to use the clutch to shift gears, although I did suspect something was amiss with it. Also, my hydraulic pump ran very often. Every time I stepped on the brake, the pump ran for at least a few seconds. I was never able to raise or lower my headlights with the engine off. Although, I did try a few times to turn the engine off while rolling... and was able to stop. (I was only going about 20 mph during these tests.)

Now, when pressed, my clutch pedal just drops all the way to the floor. I am unable to get the car into gear at all.

I've definitely got some other issues to sort out with my car. The rat's nest of wiring up under the dash is rather frightening. And, most of my dash is inoperable anyway... so, I do plan to do some serious re-wiring this winter.

There are many photos of the car - and the hydraulics - at the following two links:
    Maserati
    Merak Photo Tour

Feel free to check out the photos to get a better sense of the state of my vehicle.

This is a project that I plan to begin to really address starting next month. I'm not really sure where to begin. Any and all help is appreciated!

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #6 staatsof, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    You have the classic symptoms of accumulators that are no longer functioning thus every time you need hydraulic pressure the pump cycles.

Stop driving the car until they are fixed.

There is a thread on here in the Maserati section about LHM so try searching for that.

I'm not familiar with the LHM clutch circuit but Jason and others on here are.

You can probably get the spheres rebuilt/recharged and I suspect that will fix most of your issues.

But stop driving the car because if you stall the engine you'll have no brakes. You've run way past the fail safe point. Your brakes have actually already failed at this point. There should be a "brake failure" light on the dash? Sounds like the clutch has as well.

You should find a circuit diagram for the lHM system for your car and then verify that who ever did this conversion has everything connected properly. It looks like they've moved a few things a round so becoming very familiar with the system may end up up saving your life.

Bob S.

7. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Gotcha, sorry I misunderstood :)

8. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

Bob is correct, remove your accumulators and send them in for repair. I have the number at home to a guy who will replace/repair them for about $300.00 total. re-install them and cycle the system and if you dont have any leaks you will notice a huge difference.

I can email you a pfd of the LHM system on your car (other than the modifications made for the 350) I had to trace through the system and replace a few lines that were leaking but it was truly a simple job.

Headlights might be the switch which can also be rebuilt however once you have new accumulators I would bet everything will work fine. PM me your email address and I will send the pdf and contact information.

piece of cake :)

9. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Jason, if you would be so kind. Please email me that pdf and I will post it on the website.

Thanks in advance.

Ciao,
    George

10. kcentanni

kcentanni Rookie

May 2, 2014
    Thanks for the valuable information. I am currently unable to drive the car at all because I cannot use the clutch to get it into gear. When pressed, the clutch pedal just falls to the floor. None of the warning lights work on the dash... so I never get the "brake fail" light.

I bought one new main accumulator from MIE.

I'm on my way to San Diego now. When I get back home to New Orleans next week, I plan to start on this issue.

Thanks to all of you for the help so far!