Maserati Spyder? | FerrariChat

Maserati Spyder?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by jjh122, Oct 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjh122

jjh122 Rookie

May 5, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi All, I've been looking for something to replace my Ferrari 328gts that was sold a while back, and I saw a car on the street that "peaked" my interest that I've never seen before..
    I quickly caught up with it and saw the Maserati script on the back.. The fellow that was driving just happened to turn into the same shopping plaza as I was heading into, so I followed him in.. We struck up a conversation about cars in general, and then I asked about his car.. It was a 2005 model, and he even let me sit in it.. Very nice guy, we talked a little more, and we parted ways..
    When I got home, I proceeded to do some internet searching on the 2003-2005 Spyders.. I can't believe some of the prices I've seen... 15K? 20K? Most seem to be in the low 20's to low 30's.. I'm not complaining, but is there a reason this car is so reasonably priced? Are they un-reliable, maintenance nightmares, uncomfortable, etc...?
    After some research, I'm seriously considering purchasing one, and I just want to make sure that there's nothing that I need to look out for.. Before I bought the Ferrari, I poured over the 308-328 board, and they were very helpful with advice about timing belts, hoses, AC units, etc..
    There's not many topics here about the Spyder though, I wonder if that's a good thing...
    Does anyone have any comments on the Spyder?
    Thanks for your help; John

2. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There is another thread on this same question. Here's a copy of my post. Opinions vary about the Spyders generally and whether to go CC or stick specifically. The 2005 had a slight face lift to the grill, which I think improved the look, making it more aggressive, albeit still quite conservative in appearance. There is a Maserati forum which you might find helpful. Doing it again I might try for a 2005 with a stick shift, if such could be found. FYI, the 4200 motor uses timing chains and is considered bullet-proof by many.
    Jon

"I had a 2004 Spyder GT from 2009 - 2013. I was the 3rd owner. The car was always dealer serviced. The good: It was a fine GT car with a great engine - apparently bullet proof. Very comfortable cockpit and decent sized trunk for weekend drives. HVAC worked extremely well. I drove a CC and decided that a six speed stick was the only way to go. Others will disagree. The spyder shape and looks are conservative to bland which might be a good or bad thing depending on what you want. Power and braking were more than I ever needed. The bad: Even for the '04 with the supposedly stiffened body, there was a noticeable amount of cowl shake, not bad, but not as solid as it could be. The problems that I had with the car were all related to electronics and power assists: CEL lights were a common problem including one that the local dealership were able to turn off but couldn't actually find the source and I had to replace two electric motors in the power top - the 2nd one was NLA through Ferrari-Maserati and hard to find on the net. I never suffered the "heater core" issue which is discussed at length on the Maserati forum but I was alert to it as a potential high cost repair. At the time of my ownership, the problems I encountered all required dealership diagnostics - that might have changed. Although my current Ferrari 328 is primitive in comparison, it is more reliable. less expensive to maintain and more fun."

3. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    John – Some years back I had a Maserati Coupe (4200) – the sister of the Spyder with a fixed roof. It was my daily driver and I did about 60 000 km in four years. It is a very reliable car and I never had issues with this car except changing the clutch at 45 000 km (it was a Cambiocorsa = F1).

Before the Coupe/4200 I had a 3200 as a DD and I was at the shop every 10 000 km or so for an unplanned stop. The Coupe/Spyder is much more reliable and is a much more modern car. But to me the Coupe/Spyder is also a more boring car than a 3200. I sold my 3200 because of the issues I had with this car and bought it back six years later because I missed it and I liked it much more than the 4200.

A Maserati is not a Ferrari and so the resale prices are much lower. I would not hesitate to buy I Spyder if this car pleases you. Maintenance is OK and the engine is chain (and not belt) driven. So there is no engine out service or such. Maintenance is cheaper than on a Ferrari but it still is an Italian car with much higher maintenance costs than a KIA…

Markus

4. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I've been looking at Spyders for a while as a project car to modify. Info isn't easy to come by. Here is what I found:

Designed by Ferrari when Ferrari fully owned Maserati.

Engine based on 430 v-8,same bore/less stroke,no flat-plane crank,390 or 400 hp at 7000,max 7500.

2002-2007 (no 2007 in US).

Chassis flex 2002,better after.

GranSport 2005-2007,all CC.

Heavy GT (about 3800 lbs) not sports car,potential is there,factory made lightweight racing versions called Trofeos.

Formula Dynamics has suspension upgrade and 450-hp package.

Production #s ?,but scarce.

A late-model Ferrari at a bargain price.

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    After 30 years of owning Maserati GT cars, I picked up an 03 Spyder earlier this year. The first thing I will tell you is that this car is not a Maserati. It drives nothing like a Maserati, the GranTurismo is a Maserati.

The 4200 is a Ferrari,(detuned and softened). It drives like a Ferrari not a Maserati. That being said, it is a lot of car for the money. I do find it a bit boring to drive, but then again I am a vintage car guy, I find all modern cars a bit boring and very fast.

6. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    I think These cars have a very nice ratio now between price and value.
    I like the car, we had one shortly in 2005/6. Was quick and easy - and more like the old Maseratis - a bit "Understatement" that is missing in today's range. Go for it!

7. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Agreed. Ferrari or Maserati, it's a heck of a lot of car for the money. If you are careful and buy a well cared for car with known clutch life, it's hard to go wrong.

I will add, though, that you should also consider the GranSport. A sportier version of the 4200, it is more refined (being the last of the 4200s), more rare, and seems to be holding its value better (just avoid the Britex interior). I love mine. Good luck!