Water pump drive on early V8s | FerrariChat

Water pump drive on early V8s

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Nov 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hello,

in the process of dismantling my Mexico engine i stumbled upon the strange water pump mechanism. There is this small steel cable, which is apparently driving the water pump. Can somebody explain in detail how this works? Is there something special to look out for when rebuilding the engine? And even more interesting: This solution does not look very reliable. Are there alternatives to replace that cable drive somehow?

Cu lbird

2. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
  3. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    The cable drive is very cleaver as it doesnt put any load on the waterpump bearings.
    This set up has a fail safe pin, for want of a better word that goes through a hole on what I term the blade drive. The cable was originally riveted to the blade drive. it can be bolted in place but use a button head screw and shallow nut.
    These cables break because they get disturbed and not empathetically reassembled so as not to twist them.
    You mentioned in the Mexico thread that you like mods for usability.
    A number of early cars have been fitted with Davis craig electric waterpumps.
    Electric Water Pumps

No thermostate needed and remove the impellor and drive, the controllers also control the fans. These things also prevent post shut down boiling by running the pump and fans after the engine is stopped. The only thing the belts drive is the aircon pump. An aluminium radiator and an electric pump cure overheating.