Interesting visit to my favorite salvage yard... | FerrariChat

Interesting visit to my favorite salvage yard...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 71Satisfaction, Nov 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #1 71Satisfaction, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took the Bora out for one more "last drive this year" and paid a visit to my favorite local salvage yard.
    I've known the owner for over a decade, he saves everything he gets in, crushes only when stripped of useful parts. Keeps me supplied from his stash of "good stuff" (i.e.Mopars) he keeps in pole barns. Plus 10acres of 50's and 60's era stuff, muscle, Thunderbirds, Mustangs, 'Maro's, AMX's. etc.

Anyway - we stood & chatted about everything under the sun, I showed him the Bora, and he said "I've got a Maserati out back."

So we went and took a look.... 1977 QP. He recalls it came in because of unspecified engine trouble. We couldn't pop the hood to see it's condition. Judging by the stance the engine appeared to be gone (?). It's an automatic. Rusted underneath, and through parts of the roof and hood. Trunk was wet, no spare tire and jack was toast.

Rims looked solid. I didn't check tire size. Do they fit a Bora (even though they don't have the hubcap tabs)?

Cheers, - Art
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    gosh thats sad, unfortunately so many QP's are in this same condition. I had a 1982 99% rust free, ran and drove and literally couldn't give it away unfortunately.

Finally reluctantly sold it to a guy who pulled the engine for a kit car and scrapped the almost perfect body.

There will probably come a day we will see pics like this and wish we would have saved the QPIII because with so many destroyed there will only be a few nice examples left.

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    a good one is worth $$$. Jason, what happened to your car?

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Series 3 QPs are 5 bolt wheels, Boras are 4.

5. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I advertised it here on fchat, craigslist, and spread the word, a lot of talk, no buyers. The ONLY reason I needed to sell it as its a large car and simply took up too much space in my smallish garage. I didn't dare leave it outside. I had other projects that excited me more.

I came down to 2k and a promise to keep it together from another fchatter but he never came through, finally sold it to a local with plans to pull the engine and scrap the car, he didn't even want the title. It made me sick but the market speaks.

6. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    It would be nice to know the chassis number.

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    An ignominious death ... :(

While there's some interest in these now they were for the longest time just scrap and not even parts cars.

This is the path most Maseratis took including the QPII, Indy, Ghibli, Bora, Merak ...

Biturbos BIG TIME.

It's why it's still hard to find nice examples of most of those cars.

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Art...

I hate seeing this! Perhaps the QPIII has been out of favor for a bit, but the
    car still has some intrinsic value in some of its parts!

There might be a couple of parts I would be interested in getting my hands on..
    Any chance the salvage yard operator might be willing to assist in checking, selling,
    and shipping?

Mike

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wow, that is interesting

10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Yeah, Bob - I thought for sure it would be a BiTurbo when he described it from ancient memory as "kinda boxy". And I was floored to see the QP sitting there. The guy recalls it had engine problems and the seller had begun dismantling but gave up on it.

What are y'all's opinion of the car's stance in front? Could the engine be in there? I looked through the passenger side wheel well to catch a glimpse of the engine bay though a maintenance cutout. But on the "engine side" of that cutout was what appeared to be a cardboard box wrapped in shipping wrap which blocked any further view.. very strange, but perhaps consistent with partial engine dismantling and leaving the parts in a wrapped box...

We could get the hood to unlatch, and it came free on the front driver's side corner, but was stuck on the passenger side corner.

Mexico074 -
    Yes, you can talk about buying parts from the guy.... but the logistics surrounding any deal will be difficult.

..The guy doesn't pull the parts, he doesn't package them up or ship them. He sells only to walk-in customers who do all the work to remove the parts themselves. He's not on line. He takes cash only. For instance, if you want the rims, you bring the jack, or stands, tools, all the stuff you need to get the job done. And you'll take the tires with you unless you somehow remove them yourself on-site..

The best most realistic solution is to call the guy and talk prices first, then plan a vacation to NY and get the parts....

But...

He's not shall we say entirely forthcoming about anything up front. There has been a tendency for him to recall details of conversations one way, and the buyer a different way. In those circumstances, he doesn't give a @&%$# and you still won't have the parts. If you cause damage to other parts while removing yours, it's at your cost. If you break the part while removing it, you still own it.

I've gotten used to him over the years, and fortunately I don't need his parts as much as I just like dropping by to visit, chat and see what he has lying around... like the QPIII.

I'd consider other sources for parts first and use this place as a last resort.
    PM me if you want his phone number.
    He is located about 20 miles east of Saratoga Springs, NY.

Cheers,
    - Art

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    sad, really. I should have followed up

12. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    #12 GLB, Nov 14, 2014
    It is sad. There are two like that in our local Italian junk yard. I bought mine mainly to save it from that fate.

I can't tell if the car has an engine or not from the ride height. The US cars are a bit up in the air. The specs show different springs for this market. I can't get a new picture of mine because it's back in a corner of the shop, but I did find this shot that shows the front end peeking in.

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #13 staatsof, Nov 14, 2014
  14. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I think it probably costs more to restore the interior than the body, many competent body shops can weld up the rusted bits. Getting the leather matched, sewn and installed is a big job.

It looks like the front seats at least are in pretty good shape, as is the center console and door panels. All difficult things to get a hold of elsewhere. The rear tail lights look good, many crack with age, spares are always welcome. Along with the steering wheel, electrics, etc.

It is a shame that these have been neglected like this. I guess for whatever reason Aston Martin has done a better job of marketing their brand, as the hideously ugly (even from a QP3 perspective) Lagonda has quadrupled in price the last few years, and the car never really made it beyond the prototype stage, and never really worked. Is it just because Bond drove a DB5?

Jason, I don't know when your car was up for sale, but it sounds like it deserved a better home. Too bad it was sacrificed for the engine, especially when there are a gazillion Chevy & GM units floating around for anyone wanting to build a kit.

I would like to encourage anyone owning or coming across a QP3 to take a picture or two, note the VIN and add it to the QP3 registry. It would be good if we could get an idea as to how many cars remain out there in the wild. My best guess so far is that there are under 1000 cars still around of the slightly more than 2000 built.

William did a great job of setting up the site. Now we need to add cars and more content.

Maserati Quattroporte III Registry » Everything about the Quattroporte III

Of notable absence in these discussions is the QP3 Royale. I've only seen one for sale ever, a few months ago. I wonder where those 55 (or 53) examples ended up...?

At any rate, the car in your friends field looks like a good parts car. Someone should offer him a big bill or so to take it off his hands, and put it in dry storage. Just a thought.

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    a Royal. trying to decide what to do. a Mid East version. will take $10-20,000 to do right I am just now finishing the on I have. it cost $15,000 to put right. I am not sure I want to spend more on another one not unless some one will buy mine for $20,000. wishful thinking.

16. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    W T F. What were they thinking? that white car (thing) is horrendous...

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I owed a Qporte 3. Its stock exhaust V8 firing up and weber carbs sounded much better than a 360 with tubi. This was the Italian hotrod. I have not heard that good a V8 since. I loved that car.