1992 424v | FerrariChat

1992 424v

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bundas, Dec 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    just purchased two hours ago, shows 30,000 km. looks new. some small number of rust bubbles. car has been sitting for 6 yr. in Ireland. I will be the third owner. wish me luck. used car dealer, 1/2 way around the world. did I hear someone say warranty

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Is it legal to bring in?

3. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Mitchell may not register it for a few years anyway ;)

You can bring in for show or race.

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hey Mitch. Congrats. But yeah, you won't be able to really bring that thing into the states until 2017. (has to be 25 years old). The Display and Show exemption is a pain in the ass unless you buy a car that's already on the D&S list. It'll likely be denied since it's not really historically significant, etc.

Or do you already have a plan? :)

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    for museum

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    were right. I have to forget this one trying to buy a cup car. it is already here

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Assuming you're serious, are you trying to buy a Ghibli Cup or Ghibli Open Cup car?

Both are entirely possible to bring over here now, legally.

But what is your purpose in doing so?

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    open cup. I can bring it in but it cannot be licensed for the road. old geezer wants one. chemo. failed to kill cancer. so need a moral boost

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you just want to look at it, museum style that's fine. Bookout's might be the thing for you.

If you're intending to operate it I think I'd suggest another first series car instead. That would be a lot less of a problem to operate though honestly you wouldn't fit without a different seat. They expect the driver to small tight butts, that's not us ... ;) It's easy enough to do. I added a second seat to mine.

The first series cars don't have all the rubber removed from the suspension and use a lot more stock Maserati Ghibli II parts in the suspension and braking system (the big changes on the EVO). That would make the occasional street excursion survivable as long as you're not caught! :D

The other thing with an Open Cup is the roll cage. It's not like getting in and out of a regular car plus when I'm strapped in with suit, harness and Hans device in place the helmet has almost zero clearance to the roll cage. I had to put the proper padding on it. These days you also need a much better seat with restraints for your head and arms.

Then there's the getting to and from the track.

You'd have to have someone to help out to do just about anything with the car.

A streetable Ghibli Cup would honestly be a whole lot easier.

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hope that helps Mitchell?

I had a friend go through what you are over the last 2 years. :(

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #11 bundas, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    for the guidance. you have helped. as to cancer. I am a tough old geezer. since I have seen you I have lost a lot of weight 37 waist cancer had nothing to do with the weight loss