Video of my Maserati Zagato Spyder | FerrariChat

Video of my Maserati Zagato Spyder

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by finlandese, Dec 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finlandese

finlandese Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
  2. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is a great car to cruise around in... You have the leather and the details, the power and its name. It is sufficient ;)

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    thank you for posting.

5. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Beautiful car, thanks for the video!

Should I ever entertain owning a Biturbo, this would be the one. There don't seem to be too many around (after a quick Google search), most for sale seem to be the first or third series cars.

How long have you had yours? Strengths, weaknesses?

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Karting

Nov 18, 2012
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Superb! Not only creative this time, but also very artistic. Wonder if my Shamal would be up for the same task? Well, probably.. guess I'll have to blame the owner

Thanks for letting us ride along

7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    That was great! Good narration, good angles, great color and excellent light! Very nicely done. Thank you for sharing.

Please permit one critical observation - the exposure of your dash against the late evening sky at 1:03 rendered the instruments too dark.. black. It would have been nice to see them lit better.

But an inspirational piece!
    Kippis,
    - Art

8. ADCraig

ADCraig Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    West Vancouver, BC
    Nice video!

Where is that underground parkade/bunker anyways? Cool location!

9. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Yes great job putting this together, the camera work on the driving sequences is amazing.

10. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Very cool vid, liked the way it was shot, liked the music and the narration. Cant quite put my finger on what it reminded me of. Give some back round on where and how u shot it, also what music was that?

11. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Thank you. Shamal would definately require a proper video. It would be intresting to bounce light off those curves. Where about Sweden are you from.. :)

12. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Had to go and check the lighting issue, and you are correct of course. Missed the idea in haste... Constructive critisism is always appriciated as that helps in developing.

Thank you.

13. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    #13 finlandese, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    Happy you liked it, as you are partly at fault for me buying the car in the first place.. :)

I filmed the thing during the late summer here in Helsinki and the surrounding areas. The car park was not anything special, just you run of the mill business car park. But it had these funny lights at the end of it, so I went there during the weekend just before closing and filmed for about a half an hour to get sufficient material.

The still exterior shots were taken in a weekend evening in the parking lot of the Helsinki court house, so no danger of weekend party goers disturbing the shots. :) I wanted urban surroundings with good sky and I got it. The sky could´ve been clearer, though. About an hour of shooting.

The car to car shots were filmed in the bridge that had great light from the setting sun and great logistics of being able to reverse the direction back to the staring point quickly, so we were able to shoot all of them with the same sunset. About an hour of shooting with a friend helping by driving the camera car.

This lead to the ring road shots from a car mounted camera with varying the position and playing with the light. I shot it mostly when returning home from the car to car shoot. This section was extended to provide room for the more detailed voiceover bits.

It was continued when I went to film the secluded country road bit during a super moon. It was pretty dark and this is where the new DriftHd Ghost-S investment really paid off. That and the "let´s try and see what it would look like and keep the camera rolling" approach. For example the shot where the rear rim pops out from complete darkness was a complete lucky shot. The country road driving sequence was shot during couple of nights in order not to upset the people living along that road..

The early evening shots at the end were shot with another friend of mine driving the camera car. These were shot as the first shots of the project, but they did not have the right feeling for me about what the car is to me.

The feel I was looking for was what the car represented to me when I was dreaming about them during the late eighties boom years. I was still at high school and dreaming of escaping the little village where I lived. Due Finnish taxation laws these Maserati´s (the two-litre versions) were one of the few new exotics that we had in Finland. And by Finland I mean Helsinki that had a few of the coupe and sedan versions. I was still stuck in the little village in the eastern Finland and watching Miami Vice.

So I wanted a bit of the urban night feeling of Miami Vice combined with the Finnish surroundings. This may sound silly, but that is how I thought it.

Thank you all for you kind comments. I am not a film maker, I am a pilot and a hobbyist. It´s a bit nerve-wracking to to release one to the pubic, as making an ass out of yourself in YouTube is very easily achievable goal. I do like making these, though...

P.s. The music was free to use music from the Freemusicarchive.org by the Neighborhood Cults, with the exception of the last song that was by the Agrarians. I feel it is very important to get the right music for the right moods, and I spent a quite a bit of time to find these.

P.p.s. I had filmed some car to car/camera mounted on the car track day material too, but even thought track itself was dramatic (and I even had some sideways action), it just didn´t fit in the concept and the light was boring..

14. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Hi,

Is your car registered on Enrico's Shamal Register ?

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Karting

Nov 18, 2012
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    No problem Finlandese.
    I'm based in the Stockholm area btw.

Car is indeed registered there, although by it's former owner.

Merry New Year to everybody!

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Very nice. ENjoyed that.

17. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    So I wanted a bit of the urban night feeling of Miami Vice combined with the Finnish surroundings. This may sound silly, but that is how I thought it.

I was going to comment that the video has that "film noir" feel of Miami vice. You nailed it!

18. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
  19. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Rubbish !

No seriously, very nice video, pity there isn't more. I was left wanting !

Well done !

20. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Very well done film. Are there any competitions for automotive short films? There should be: the Modena Film Festival, perhaps? :)

Personally, I preferred the first version since the "dirty mike" sound matched very well the dreaminess of the film. The narration in the second version is perhaps a bit too clean for a dream. Just my personal opinion. Great music choices!

Your Goodwood piece was also very enjoyable and well done. Thanks for posting. Nice work!

21. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Just realized that you said I was part of the inspiration for you purchasing this vehicle, thats pretty cool. I guess you saw a pic of mine here. Again, very cool video and loved the way it was done...very Miami Vice like. I see you are now shopping for a Mondial, Best of luck...

22. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Nope. You helped me By replying to a PM about the useablility of the rear "seats". That helped me to make the decision to buy one. It was a great decision and I have decided that it´s a keeper..

23. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Very nice Video - and even nicer car. About time the little Zagato gets a it more attention and appreciation!