This auction should prove interesting ... | FerrariChat

This auction should prove interesting ...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by staatsof, Dec 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Russo and Steele

I'm not exactly sure how he got it in but the disclaimers would seem to indicate that it's not entirely legal at this point???

Shamals and Ghibli Cup cars can be brought in under show & display (already approved) but this is not a cup car so ...

No reserve.

Mitchell? :D

2. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    See below. It's likely to be legal - just with restrictions like limited annual mileage and travel between home and show location only.

Below is a useful link to the NHTSA import regs. Look down about 12 hyperlinks for "How to Import a car for Show & Display". Not a draconian reg, but note the caveat that EPA approval is a separate process…

Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements

So, yes - This Ghibli appears to have been given the NHTSA exemption that restricts its use to "show & display". This is different from the temporary NHTSA exemptions given to race cars which bars them from staying here long or being sold here..

Cheers,
    - Art

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    this is a possibility. good road car. I need to ask about the motors on ebay from Georgia. do you know that they are four cam motors?

4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #4 staatsof, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    No

Maserati Ghibli Cup 1996-1997
    Maserati MC 12 2004-2005
    Maserati Shamal 1991

Cup not Ghibli and no, that's not a race car. The Open Cup is the factory race car.

While I certainly wouldn't quibble with it being any less qualified from a technical or safety/emissions viewpoint than a Cup version it is none the less a completely different model and not nearly as rare. I think you might have to re-qualify it.

Mitchell, get a document authorizing it's status. From the NHTSA not the auction house.

Yes all the Ghibli II cars have 4 valve motors. There are 4 valve motors here from time to time (Japan) and he bought one, completely rebuilt it and then stuck it in his Biturbo spider. His handle is Relegzte - Mike.

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    being a 2.8 I was curious

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    In factory tune the 2L reached the highest horsepower but the 2.8L had more torque. The held the record for highest hp/liter in a regular production automobile until recently when Mercedes came out with their 2L four cylinder as used in the A45AMG.

Mercedes-AMG English: Power Creation 20l4c

The 2.8 is probably a better real world car to drive with that extra torque. I've only drive the the 2L version (road going Cup car) for about 15 minutes a few years ago when a guy from Canada brought his down to Le Belle Macchine.

Is your 430 an automatic or a manual?

7. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Bob. 1990 2.8. same engine or the 24V version

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    they got $100. now they will ask about the papers

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mitchel when the valve covers look like this (from the auction) it's a 24V if they look like the ones in your 430 then it's a 18V.

See if they'l disclose when the chains were replaced, valves adjusted and of course the timing belt & all related tenshining related hardware. On the replacement engine!

IMHO it's a much bigger job on the 24V cars because timing the engine is that much more difficult and you either remove the engine or slide it forward which is almost as much work as removing it. This motor has chains at the back of the heads instead of using four cog drive wheels at the front like a Ferrari.

You could always send the motor to these guys for a nice bump in power:

Autohaus Ebersoldt GmbH - Ghibli MPP 3 V6 2.8 355 PS Automatik

I think that's the most the auto can handle? It would scoot!

This car does have ABS but no traction control or dynamic chassis handling just some settings for the shocks. Caution IS required.

That one is one of the more reasonable upgrades some are about $30K! :eek:

10. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    will an automatic trans. motor fit a 5 speed transmission. or are the blocks different?

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't know the answer to that. You need to know the model and year year of transmission, motor and then probably Bill McGrath would know or David Askew but I don't know if the chap who's handling David's business can answer questions like that.

If you're an MIE member and you certainly should be then you could ask them. Probably a new flywheel and all that goes with a clutch. Later Biturbos used Getrag 6 speeds, 5 speeds before that and the old ZF 5 speed before that. The later 6 speeds use a pull type clutch.

Mitchel you're asking all of these questions on the wrong forum.

It will be a lot quicker to just tell people what you're trying to accomplish and then someone who's done it the UK, Europe or even over here will speak up on that forum.

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    you are correct. this just seemed an easy access. thank all for allowing me to do this

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's a guy discussing exactly this topic on that forum right now. He's concerned about the compatibility of his ECUs. I think he's already done the auto to manual mechanical swap.

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I will take a look. On my next purchase I really would perfer the Open Cup. As I am not a modifier. There are just to few cars left to butcher

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  16. ebersoldt

ebersoldt Rookie

Nov 27, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian Ebersoldt
    It is possible to change the gearboxes between the V6 engines. The blocks are the same.

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So the link still works but the day of the auction this car did not show up when searched.

Did you do anything or find out anything more Mitchell?

18. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Well thought I had. I ask your questions. Auction found out it and no street use and pulled it. Seller wanted north of $130,000. Really? Is that possible. If so I need to forget

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's an absurd price. It also says quite a bit about the auction company that they even initially listed it. He must have snuck the car in from Canada or it was really still there?

20. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I didn't know palms grew like that in Canada. ;)

Yes, that price is just ludicrous. Might as well find overseas and certify / petition for exemption.