New Ghibli | FerrariChat

New Ghibli

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Dohangs, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Hi there,
    My wife and I were driving yesterday when a new Ghibli passed us. I wasn't a big fan of it at first but this one was in black and looked really nice. No we are thinking of taking a closer look at it as my wife's daily driver. She currently has a Panamera which she loves. I would like to ask Anyone out ther who has bought a new Ghibli on their thoughts. Do you like it, love it or hate it and why?
    Thanks,

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the panamera seems to me quite a bite "more: car and the interior is stellar!

the ghibli to me...is too much Chrysler 300 :(

3. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    What he said...Haven't sat in one but the Ghibli looks like a 3 series sized vehicle for 7 series money. BUT I did see something just the other day that one dealership is advertising $10k off sticker.

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wow that's pretty tough.

I haven't compared the two but is there shared switchgear?

The chassis and drivetrain share zip.

But to me it does look like an Infiniti so no it doesn't stand out like the GT does or the QPV.

I have friend who's had a Maseratis for many years, an Indy in Europe when he was in the AF. He bought one last year and loves it. I got one ride in it but with 4 people so I can say all that much.

I have as yet to see it in person in anything other than black or silver. I would hope than some great colors would bring out the design a bit better?

5. ferraripete

let me be clear. I have been told reliably that the parts bin overflow for the Chrysler has founds its way quite substantively on the Ghibli. this was further discussed in a consumer reports luxury car test/review. they specifically discussed the shared Chrysler parts and shunned the car summarily due to the premium pricing and the down market chassis parts.

I am happy to be proven wrong as I have owned a merak ss, a bora, and a QP III....I loved them all and would be happy to be convinced that the ghibli is the real deal.

6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    The Ghibli is a completely new car, it's what Maserati should have been producing years ago. Are there items thay can improve on, sure, but that goes for pretty much every car made.

It's a quality car, good performance, fit and finish is better than Maserati has put out before. Reliability from my side of the desk has been postiive, with annual services being performed weekly now ( cars sold in 2014 have been coming in )

The Q4 , with a special color, with Carbon Fiber interior, paddle shifters, and upgraded stereo is the way to go!

Maserati is still the Boutique car , that you buy when you want to stand out, and have something that not everyone has.

I'd suggest going with your wife, test driving a base Ghibli and see what she thinks / feels. Then , upgrade from there. For example is she wants more power... better stereo, all wheel drive ,etc.

Go drive it... you will either like it right away or not... :-D

Interesting perspective, though comparing the QP to the Panamera would be more apples to apples.

Ghibli is more along the lines of a 5 Series in sizing.
    You should consider dropping in a Dealership , you may find that your opinion may change some.

S

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK. I'll point someone I know to this thread so he can address your points. He has very good factory connections and is now running a new dealership. My understanding is that this is a Maserati designed chassis and drivetrain. Of course it's not like Ferrari/Maserati switchgear with it's "sticky" reputation in the past is anything to crow about. Their audio & nav choices have been panned in the past too.

I think they should loan each of us one for a week so that we end this controversy! ;)

Harry Metcalf who is on here liked it in his review.

I have a couple of neighbors who have been driving them for about 9 months now and we are getting real winter now. So it will be interesting to see what they think. They are normally Benz/BMW/Audi buyers and not exotic car folks.

8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    You should , make time to go test drive one.

I think you will be pleasently suprised, while your statements are correct, you'll find the finished product is nicely packaged.

S

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I wish you were here, I could make that happen!
    ( Get you a car to drive for a few days )

S

10. ferraripete

thank you to all of you for the very fair and respectful push back. I do freely admit to not having directly experienced the car...though I need to! I will try to make time to drive before spring.

11. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Having driven both the Ghibli and the Q I must say the Ghibli is more fun to drive. However it felt a bit gimmicky. Ended up buying a Audi S6 instead of a Maserati.

Matt

12. lambotom

lambotom Karting

Apr 12, 2011
    I saw the Ghibli already and I think Maserati (Ferrari) really is taking a big gamble. Taste can vary but to me the new Ghibli is no more special as your average Jaguar, Lexus, or German sedan. Sure it will sell but 20 years from now I am afraid it will be just like the second generation Ghibli tried to capitalise on the first Ghibli's name and fame. And now they are doing it again! Where the QP still manages to capcarry ture that little Maserati secret andcapture the imagination by providing a link with the DNA of the classic cars, the new car is nothing special at al in my view. Bit then as owner of a 3500GTI, Sebring II, Mistral, Ghibli, Ghibli spider conversion, Khamsin and Bora I might be biased...
    Tom, Belgium

13. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thank you for your first hand reports. I have read all the reviews and do realize that the fit and finish may not compare directly with the Panamera. There are a few components that may be shared with the Dodge Dart ( info system) that make it less appealing. We are looking for something different than the Porsche but not necessarily mainstream like a BMW or Audi or Benz. We will take a test drive and see how it feels.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm no more qualified than you, just what I've heard from a few people I know.

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's the market they were aiming for so ... They cannot survive selling just $150K + automobiles. Their new customer base probably doesn't care much about all the old stuff.

Forward I suppose ...

Nice set of cars!

16. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I drove a S Q4 version of the Ghibli and really liked it. I liked it better than similarly priced options in a BMW or Mercedes. It was interesting, entertaining, handled nice, made fun engine noises, and was 'engaging'. Yes they could've done better with some of the switchgear but I liked it because the driving experience was unique whereas the BMW's and MB have started feeling generic.

That said I did not like it as much as the 2004-2012 QP's which remains my favorite Maserati sedan, even over the new QP's.

Anyway, it's certainly worth a test drive.

17. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I don't think the few Chrysler-sourced parts matter that much here in Europe; (i) Chryslers are not that commonplace here, so they would not be identified as such anyway, (ii) it is quite customary to use similar parts across different model ranges within the same corporation, and (iii) apart perhaps for super-luxury cars such as Rolls-Royce, I think what counts most for European customers is that things work, not that they are bespoke.

18. ljdamore

ljdamore Rookie

Sep 12, 2008
    Wilton, NH
    #18 ljdamore, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had not seen one in the flesh until last week. Someone wrote that he had only seen them in black or silver. I was walking to work in Boston and saw this one parked. I like the color and it certainly stands out in the street scene. No confusion in my mind with an infinity or lexus....

Regarding the direction this car and the Alfieri will take Maserati, I think it is what they must and should do to survive as a car manufacturer today. Let's face it - the days of hand built cars are over - unless you are a able to approach Ferrari and ask them to build you a one off like Eric Clapton did. I for one could never afford that....but I hope to be a able to drive an Alfieri some day!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    That is a Granturismo not a Ghibli. That car definitely stands out from the crowd. The Ghibli not as much. Can anyone post a picture of a new Ghibli on the street?

20. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    Here is my 2015. It's now my new daily driver and I do love the functionality of this car. A good performer in all categories and IMO looks the part! My car's spec is Grigio Maratea with black red interior. I had my detailer do a special (MC 12 style) stealth wrap job on mine to finish off it's look.

Maserati Ghibli car wrap in XPEL Stealth paint protection

21. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My wife daily drives a '14 SQ, it has 12k miles on it.

She likes the car a lot, it performs, looks good and gets compliments which she loves. Considering her last car was an S8 I think that speaks well for the car. No major issues, a couple minor annoyances that the dealer has addressed quickly.
    The car is very roomy and comfortable, more cushy than tight. The info screen is nice and large and works fine regardless of it's lineage. Ours is moderately optioned, we paid around 83 last year. We choose it instead of an E63 or S7.
    When i drive it I can't believe how peppy and fast it is. Ours does not have the sport exhaust option having driven a loaner with that option maybe I would consider getting it if we get another since the Ferrari-like sound is always intoxicating.

22. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Al, thanks for the review . Good to know your wife is enjoying her Ghibli.

23. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Anyone else have a new Ghibli?

24. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    I'd also like to add that I have a Grantourismo MC and compared to it, the new Ghibli is much easier to drive and live with as a daily. The ride is a good balance between dampening and sportiness and the ride height is perfect unless you are parking and the curb happens to be extraordinarily high. Being 4 doors, I find it is much easier to get in and out as your doors are not as long as the GT and you won't have to worry about smacking into the car next to you as much. On other cars, I often open to door as much as I can when getting in or out and worry that the door will swing just a tad more to it's preset "notched" position. The fact that the doors on the Ghibli do not have a preset notch/position is genius IMO! After getting out of the GT, I then realize how different the driving position is on the Ghibli. It's built for long distance and long term usage. I feel like I can drive cross country with no issues!
    The backseats are not huge, but for kids and average sized adults it will be just fine. There's plenty of power from the SQ4 model and the all wheel drive is great for bad weather. Although, in cold and bad weather, the Summer tires combined with the LSD will cause the car to feel like it is slipping or stuttering at very very low speeds when you have near full steering wheel lock. The remedy for this is to put on Winter tires when the temps drop below 50deg or so - or just keep winter tires on all year round as I plan to do when the Summer tires eventually wear out. All in all, it's a great car that is fun to drive and has tons of Maserati charm.

25. lineaTesoro

lineaTesoro Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Omar Fernandez