Doug | FerrariChat

Doug

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ursa Major, Feb 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    I am so sad to hear about the passing of Doug Magnon. I was introduced to Doug through Gene on this forum and only met him twice, but he was a true enthusiast, including and curious on getting to know other people and fellow enthusiasts from other parts of the world. Our deepest condolences to the family from myself and the Norwegian Maserati Club.

2. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    ....this is shocking news. A great enthusiast of Maserati cars and history, and a very decent man.

What are the details of this? I'm stunned.

The best to him and his family.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I am stunned and hope this is some misunderstanding.

I tried calling his restaurant half an hour ago but that was close to midnight California time and they dine early there so no response...
    I spent several weeks in April 2013 as a guest of his and his girlfriend Evonne in Riverside and Palm Springs, arranged for Jay Leno to test drive his Khamsin with him. Doug: a truly nice person enthusiast and clever entrepreneur with an amazing museum filled with Maserati GT cars and excellent restaurant.
    He also has a motorcycle dealership...anyone on the west coast could you please find out? Thank you...

Marc

4. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    Hi both,
    I found out through the Facebook pae of the Riverside Museum, and it is also being confirmed on the Facebook wall of Doug's profile from a lot of his friends.

Edit:

Here is the text from the Riverside Museum:

"It is with deep regret that we must report today the passing of our patron Doug Magnon after a short but brave battle with cancer."

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes sadly it is true, here is the link you mention:

Welcome to the Riverside International Automotive Museum

This is a terrible loss a good man who was very helpful and considerate of others, who worked very long hard days when he did not have to at all.
    He was the number one supporter and flag carrier of Maserati history and heritage in the USA which is a big loss to all of us...

We exchanged emails just prior to the Maserati 100th events in Italy last September but I did not go so did not see him then.

I remember him dropping me off at LAX airport 2 years ago in his Cinquecento Abarth and could never have believed it would be the last time I would see him...

My condoleances to Evonne his family friends and staff...

Rest in peace Doug...

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    WOW. How very sad. He was so young and had what looked to many to be such an incredible life.

It's just unfathomable.

It's been a few years since I saw him last when he brought 6 special vintage Maseratis all the way east to the Pocono event and he brought his MC12 to run around the track and offer rides. He shared so very well.

Ciao - Doug.

7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    It is with great sadness that we at The Maserati Club (TMC) hear of the passing of Doug Magnon. Doug was President of our California Chapter, one of our largest. He was a very
    dynamic individual, one of the few who possessed the resources, skill, and desire to
    start and operate an automotive museum, and lead the California chapter.

I will remember attending Pismo with him about 10 years ago and the thrill he had when
    he took possession of his MC-12 at the factory in Italy, also about 10 years ago.

The Maserati community has lost someone very special!

May the winds, for which many of our cars are name for, be at your back Doug!!

Michael A. Demyanovich

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Beautifully put Mike!

I think there should be an annual prize or award for the fostering of Maserati passion particularly for the historic ones named after Doug, it is well deserved. I can't realize particularly after a hectic day at Retromobile that Doug is really gone it has not sunk in at all.

He will be with us in spirit.

MS

9. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    The last time I saw Doug and Evonne was in Piazza San Carlos in Turin on the occasion of the Maserati 100 Concorso held in the Piazza. He and Evonne were, as always, inseparable and enjoying the festivities. They told us that they were getting ready to turn in their rented Ghibli and go off to explore more of Italy. It was a happy time with kisses, hugs and photos and the ever present rumbling of Maserati as they drove by.
    To those of us who knew Doug he collected and owned the cars for the right reason.
    He was proud of his Italian heritage and loved Italy.
    He enjoyed good food, good wine and indeed the good life, a true “bon vivant”

Janet and I will forever cherish our time spent together trying to keep up with Doug and Evonne in their Alfa 8C Competizione as we raced through the Santa Barbra wine country stopping at some of Dougs favorite wineries on route to the Pismo Ralley. Those were good fun times.
    He will be deeply missed by those of us who knew him. I am sure that where he is now, the parts will arrive on time, with no back orders, and the mechanic will always have good news for him on the progress of his rebuild.
    That great Paddock in the sky, will be getting a great guy.
    Doug Magnon, I miss you my friend. RIP
    FGM

10. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    I was shocked this morning when I heard the sad news about Doug. In fact,many hours later it still seems unbelievable. Doug and I have been friends for about 20 years and when I first met him he had only the 3500GTI, which he cherished so much. His love for many things and especially Maserati cars led him to amass a magnificent collection of Italian cars with most of them Maseratis.
    He was a consummate enthusiast and when you look up 'Maserati enthusiast' in the dictionary, you should see his photo.
    I have been on many rallys with Doug and if anything went wrong with anyone's car, Doug was always the first one to abandon the rally and offer assistance to the owner of the disabled vehicle until it was fixed or towed to safety.
    I am proud to have called him a friend and hope he is in a better place. With my deepest sympathy to his family and close friends.
    Larry Ruben

11. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    We are stunned of this sudden loss. Doug was the first Maserati guy I met when I nievely brought my barn fresh, and just running 3500 GT to the '09 Dolce Vita in Monterey. My car was fresh meat to every one, and I was a newby. Doug & Evonne spent 3 entire hours with me then: all the while schooling me on all the ins & puts of the car. Evonne was ever patient with us, and truely welcoming. Doug and kept in touch, as he welcomed me into the fold with his personal number.
    Ever the Maserati enthusiast, Doug managed get as many 3500s together as possible for the mid-California run. We met at Hearst Castle, where it promptly snowed upon our arrival! Doug's own 3500 wasn't quite ready yet (neither of them), so he opted to tear about on his QPIII, using the car very spiritedly as a camera platform the entire run!
    I am so glad that Mary & I got the chance to eat & drink with him and Evonne, and that we got to help with his entry at Pebble Beach last year. It qreat to them so happy on the lawn with his proud mark.
    Thanks for coaching us along Doug! Our thoughts are with you & yours,
    Fred & Mary

12. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    I met Doug a number of times over the last few years. A truly nice guy and a true enthusiast I will sorely miss him. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Doug was as good as they come. I last saw him at the lawn at Pebble where he was fiddling with an interior light bulb and was laughing as to how Maserati electricals decide to fail at the worse possible time. A few weeks later saw him and Evonne in Italy for the Centennial celebrations. As always they were great to be around.

The Maserati community lost a great beacon that single handed brought a lot positive attention to our favorite cars. He will be greatly missed.

Ivan

14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Doug was true gentleman and a good friend, may he rest in peace.

Here is a link to Doug on Jay Leno's Garage discussing his Khamsin.

► 16:51
    1975 Maserati Khamsin - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=en0vS29sUF8[/ame]

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #15 Nembo1777, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a photo taken in Modena in May 2006 at the Panini museum and dinner when the US Maserati club visited.

Left to right Doug with his them girlfriend, Mike "Mistralovitch" Demyanovich, the legendary Ermanno Cozza himself, Ivan Ruiz and yours truly.

The second photo shows my gold Khamsin in August 2007 right after Monterey in Doug's collection next to his MC12, at the time I had no choice but to sell it and after Christie's miserable attempt at their Monterey auction he kindly accepted to truck the car down with the MC12, and found me a wonderful couple who are now since then good stewards for the car...so he really was hugely helpful with that, typical of Doug.
    During the several weeks I spent with them in April 2013 in Riverside and Palm Springs we had wonderful times fantastic wines and meals, a genuine bon vivant.

I hope the wine cellar in the sky is up to his taste.

MS
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    #16 Ursa Major, Feb 6, 2015
    Here's two memories I have of him;

When visiting Gene on our way from SF to LA he told me I ought to call Doug in advance, as he was a great guy and probably wanted to meet us. So I did, and was instantly asked to join him for lunch at his restaurant, after which we went over to the Riverside Museum.
    Even though we were strangers to him, none the less from the other side of the world, he spent five hours with us that day. I would guess he was a busy man, but still found time to us.

Two days later I met him again at the Fontana raceway for the Indy finals, as he was part of the show. The other historic cars drove nicely around the track, but one car drove faster, loader and as in a race, and that was Doug.

I was hoping to see him again in June when I am over, but sadly that is now not possible. Even though I never knew him well, I know he was a really great guy and I feel very sad about his passing.

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    did anyone know he had cancer? I was there in Nov. and all seemed OK. sad. very nice person

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So sorry to hear this. I met him on several occasions over the years, including couple of time at his collection. First time, when I needed some technical reference assistance on a Maserati prototype I was working on at the time, I was given Dougs number by a friend who told me about his impressive Maserati (and Gurney-Eagle) collection here in Riverside (!?!). Last time I saw him and Evonne was at the starting grid of Pebble Beach Tour last August and they both seemed genuinely thrilled to be a part of it. R.I.P.

19. cwcmaser

cwcmaser Karting

Nov 8, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Full Name:
    Colin W. Craig
    #19 cwcmaser, Feb 6, 2015
    We last saw Doug (and Evette) at the San Martino Del Lago circuit on Sept. 19/14 for the Maserati Centennial race track event near Cremona. I pulled in my newly acquired 3200 GT and Doug and Evette parked just in front of us. We shared some pleasant conversation and went our ways. Here are a couple of pictures from that time. Doug lived his passions and was generous of his time and concern for others - may we all be so inclined.
    Regards,
    Colin

20. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    May he rest in peace.

Ciao,
    George

21. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #21 Portenos, Feb 6, 2015
  22. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Well it is really great to see so many messages about Doug. I have know Doug for 20 plus years so he certainly is a great loss to me as well. As all of you had expressed he was always ready to help anyone with anything. He has set up the Pismo event every year since Joe Martin left us several years ago. I too had seen Doug and Evonne in Italy on several occasions in September and at that time he knew nothing was wrong. As I understand the details he just found out about two months ago so this has been a major surprise to him as well. Evonne was a major positive in his life and I am glad they had a very happy few years together. Certainly his passion for Maserati was the best and we all enjoyed his passion for wines and foods as well when we were with him.

23. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    From this very important tribute. I have bee fighting cancer(bone) for five years now. I would have died lay June but went where the Dr. knew what to do. Still battling but looks as if I will be around a little while longer. Mine was slower. Thank G-d

24. fossey

fossey Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Roland Foss
    I last saw Doug in October at the 100th anniversary celebrations in L.A. I wasn't just stunned at his passing; I was stunned to learn he was 55 years old. He seemed youthful and healthy even then.

Doug must have written several books in his head, and could have written many with his hand, as his encyclopaedic knowledge together with his experiences and great stories would have captivated so many readers, as they had those who met him along the way.

West-Coast Maserati enthusiasts pointed me to Doug in 2011 when I was gathering information on my Show or Display application packet for my '91 Shamal. I talked to him and received encouragement, practical advice, and Maserati history and context. I was excited to finally meet him in 2013--as excited as he was to see the car here. I ran into him a few more times in the next couple of years. He was so very friendly and welcoming, even welcoming me into his house after one of the local events. As someone new to the world of car events and shows, this openness was greatly appreciated and helped keep me engaged and enthusiastic. Thank you--and we will miss but never forget you.
    Roland

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery