Khamsin Rear Suspension | FerrariChat

Khamsin Rear Suspension

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 010, Feb 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hello, I am in the middle of a mechanical and body restoration (74 Khamsin). I now need rear suspension but am having a heck of a time finding specifications for the rear Coil-Over shocks/spring setup

I need:
    - the Spring rate (which I understand is how many pounds are required to compress the spring 1 inch)
    - the shock mount to mount (bolt holes) resting length (car parked on flat ground) (compressed springs purely by car body weight). I suspect this is around 14 inches given the original shocks will extend to 17 inches or compress to 11 inches.
    - the desired damping rate to imitate the original setup.
    - ...anything else I should be aware of?...

I am looking into aftermarket for serviceability (perhaps adjustability) and short term expense reduction so I can decide how I want the suspension to be after driving it for a season or so.

I know the likely most right answer is buy original from MIE, etc. For this reason I am not changing anything on the car to work with aftermarket. Just looking for something that will work well for a short while. Any information you can give will be helpful, including alternative parts (Jaguar for example) that are equivalent. Thank you
    Richard

2. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Do a search in the Khamsin thread it has been discussed.
    If not whats you chassis number build number as they changed around that time.

Graeme

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It is noteworthy that the springs are different front and rear of the exle. I posted the wire-diameters in the Khamsin-thread quite a while ago.
    Sorry, cannot assist with accurate measurements at the moment, my car is not fully assembled.

Best,

Jack.

4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Found the link
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/maserati/187217-maserati-khamsin-83.html#post139290534

After rummaging through my pile of info on My Khamsin Restoration I found the information the Maserati factory sent me on the springs.

Stay with me on this one there is a bit of info.
    The first 50 Khamsins had spring part no 76691 4 off position doesn’t matter.

Later cars
    there are two part numbers 120SP84468 this spring goes at the front on both sides.
    its dimensions are
    397mm free length (uninstalled as per you picture) wire dia 10.5 , OD of the coil is 102.5mm
    Dynamic load is 326 KGs at a compressed length of 166 mm static at 238Kgs at 228 mm

the other part number is 120SP84469 this is the rear spring on both sides.
    its dimension is 392mm free length 11 wire dia and coil OD is 103.
    Dynamic load is 383 KGs at a compressed length of 166 mm static at 278Kgs at 228 mm

If I may offer my own experience with Maserati springs is that the steel is very good quality but the heat treatment isn’t. I would advise that the info I have here is given to a spring manufacturer for them to reset and retemper the springs. My car was quite low in the rear and when fueled up almost sat on the ground.
    Graeme

5. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #5 010, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you all. I just noticed that a post I thought I had posted did not make it in.. I likely forgot to hit Post or made some other mistake, so sorry for the very slow response.

Graeme - You asked my chassis number. it's an early beast. 120-010. Thanks again for that detailed explanation above. Very useful

Jack - Thank you. Your shock different front/back statement does tend to hold true for most posts so the confirmation is nice...As mine is an early build I understand they may in fact have the same lengths for me (right or less right).

I just purchased a used set of RIV shocks (basically just like the ones already on it, but repainted). It turns out they are not much better than what I had. Seller is however very happy to un-sell them, so no worries there. I may in the end turn them into a spare set depending on my immediate progress. My measurements have each of the new shocks and springs being the same in every way. The cars original set also appear to be a four way matched set. Other than much less dirt on the replacement set with a repaint, they appear to be the same.

The new shocks have the following stamped onto them
    - RIV
    - Made in Italy
    - 8083010678 (I think perhaps at least two of them have a slightly different number – 808301678 (missing the second zero)
    - two of them have “4K” and the other two have “4M” stamped into them.

(see images)

I have read / found online that some have used KONI suitable replacements, but KONI themselves cannot help (have tried numerous times). Other thoughts?

Anyone have the damper specifications by any chance? This should not be this hard.. but I am new to shock! Thank you,

Richard
    Chassis 120-010 (number 5)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi
    I'd be interested in any progress you make as I too am struggling to get my originals rebuilt here in the uk. Apparently the seal inner diameter is unusual in size. My garage guys are trying a few alternatives but this is now the only main item holding up the full suspension rebuild being completed.

Bal

7. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Greetings Bal, I have not had much luck, although I am continuing down the rabbit hole. Have you contacted McGrath(s) in the UK?

I know Koni has a racing shock with spring that will "fit", but it also is quite pricey (model 8212 aluminum and 8211 steel series). I am working with an eager young man right now looking for the lesser version. Who knows. Maybe I will end up with the racer model just for future proofing my solution. It offers much more adjustability than I imagine I want or need for my weekend cruiser.

I am half tempted to buy two originals just to have them measured on a dyno so I can then have new ones matched/built/imitated. What a load of research. I march on, and will share all I find.. be well.

By the way, have your guys managed to open the shock and were special tools needed?

Richard

8. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Richard,

I will speak to my guys next week and will pose your question.

I haven't trued McGraths as yet as I thought this should have been an easy fix here in the uk.
    So my car is back together minus rear shocks for now. One of my 4 is dead so I do need a balanced solution. The dyno may be a direction to take, though I've not been able to locate old spares here.

Bal

9. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well, I have made some progress on an alternative that fits without modification and allows adjustability. I am looking for feedback before I pull out my wallet.

These coil-over shocks use 2.5 inch springs and have an 11" to 17” range (as per my original shocks)

Ultra Ride Shocks | Coil-Over Shocks | QA1 Suspension
    US502 is the model I suspect would work.

Also page 49, in the lower half of the page
    QA1 2015 Motorsports Catalog
    Do I need 1/2 inch or 5/8 bushings? - My mechanics can tell me this I'm sure.

Not knowing what this car is like to drive, I suspect I will be able to adjust these sufficiently to somewhere between what the car was like originally and what feels right to me. Having those spring specs provided earlier in is thread will be very helpful as I will need to procure springs that fit.

Any thoughts or warnings?
    Richard with thanks.

10. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    A fully adjustable shock should be providing the solution.
    I would go for the later set-up with different springs fore/aft, Maserati did this for a reason

Best,

Jack.

11. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Richard,

Apparently the guys have got the shock apart. They are just awaiting response from seal company to see if they can supply parts. Problem here now is that racing season has kicked off and everyone is busy. Typical.

Bal

12. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    An update... no shocks in hand yet, but now digging deeper into spring matching and determining proper ride height. Turns out my wiper motor likely needs rebuilding too.

JACK. any progress?
    Richard

PS. just uncovered my engine plate. It shows 1001 what does this mean?

13. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Richard,

Progress on what? I am busy at the other end of my Khamsin, can't wait to put back cam-covers and be done with cam-timing and chains...

Best,

Jack.

14. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Sorry Jack. Mixed up my names. Was actually trying to ask Bal about his shocks.

My engine as young as it is, seems to run very well and still starts without fuss. Never been near a rebuild...fingers crossed this stays true for some time.

My horns however seem to need attention now too. Getting closer.
    regards
    Richard

15. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Sorry Richard, nothing to report yet.

Worse thing is we are now at the point where I should be on the road with it. Oh well as they say I have to hurry up and wait.

Bal

16. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks Bal. Well. I have driven my car about 50km now with the old shocks in place...and they are weeping a small amount but work sufficiently enough for the moment. Firm ride with new bushings everywhere. Next stop is the body shop while I resume my shock research. I have not driven this car properly before. .. so it's a unique experience. I'd love to have a ride in a fully sorted one for comparison.

Will post what I find in the shock department.
    Thank you to all to date.
    Richard

17. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Richard...

Sorry for being late on this, but I just found something on Khamsin rear suspension.
    I was going through some technical information I have on K's and came across the information. Some of this information is from Maserati SPA and some came from
    MIE... I think the best thing for me to do, is try and scan it, or take a picture and
    attach it to a post.. The information gives some differences in the two rear springs.

I will try and do this ASAP...

Mike

18. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #18 Mexico074, Mar 28, 2015
    Hello Richard...

Attached are two images of the information I found regarding Khamsin Rear Springs.
    This may be helpful to you. You also may have to detach the images, if possible, and
    increase the size to make them readable...

Interestingly, when looking at the first picture it gives the overall spring dimensions
    for each rear spring. If I read this correctly, the front most spring is 397mm long,
    102.5 mm overall diameter, with each coil being 10.5 mm diameter.. The rear most
    spring, according to this information is 392 mm long, 103 mm overall diameter, with
    each coil being 11 mm in diameter. There appears to be some compression and
    static compression information, but it is hard to make out..

Anyway, hope this is of some use to you... And again, sorry for being late on this..
    There aren't many of us Khamsin owners left in North America!!!

Mike

19. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    #19 khamsin433, Apr 11, 2015
    Hi Richard,
    Shocks have been rebuilt and back on the car. Guys who did the job don't want to take on more of the same as they were afraid things would give whilst dismantling.

I'll let you know how it all feels when I get the car back

Bal

20. gopp

gopp Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Marius Sorteberg
    Hi Richard,

Your car is not number 5, it's the fourth Khamsin made.

Number 002 was made in -72 as the first test mule. This car was destroyed in the crash test and written off. Khamsin 004 was also built in -72. This car differs a lot from the production cars and is now restored to high standards. In March -74 the first production Khamsin was finished and delivered to the owner in Rome. This car has chassis number 008 and body number 006. Chassis #006 was never made, this is confirmed by Cozza and Collina.

Best regards
    Marius (#008)