1989 biTurbo spyder | FerrariChat

1989 biTurbo spyder

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bundas, Feb 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I really cannot help myself. mom was right, 'u need to see someone'. have a 430 and I am impressed. so this was a natural. I will let all know how many dollars this $6,000 purchase will set me back. I will have it Wed. Calif. eBay car. 50,000 miles. seller says, all works. I have already ordered a timing belt kit.the clock was missing. bought one on ebay today. top a zero. found a new one. Open Cup is next. trying to fit it in my bank account. restoring ten cars at a time and building a ridiculous garage is taking a toll

2. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Mitchell,

What's the inventory up to now? I lost track!

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #3 bundas, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    running. I have to think. almost running, some. and I am not sure about this spyder until it gets in the shop. weather has lost a week of shop time. the 430 and qp3 both have new HVAC units put in and neither have heat. they worked for a few days and then stopped. then it got really cold. -15 here, 30 miles away -36. a record nation wide for that day. hopefully Monday will be a work day. one 400 is down to a turn signal stalk repair. that will take until the end of march to get back. another 400 needs the power switch for the top or a wire replaced. it blows a fuse. my 550 needs a nice dry day as does the Allante.my 1976 365gt4 2 2 restore is finished and weather allowing will be here next Thursday. one Merak SS is now waiting a new interior. the second one will go back to Canada for mechanical and a new interior. of the three qp 1's a lot of dollars will be required so they will sit this year out. four biturbo convertibles, and three biturbo sedans will be scrapped along with a LaForza that I have robbed parts from. a 2000 Aston Martin, hit hard in the right front will also be scrapped. a true shame. car has less than 2,000 miles. but their value make it not viable. a running, nice LaForza needs some wiring fixed. it is last on my list. a 2002 Maserati spyder that would not start for an unknown reason. looks like mice got in the wiring. so the total needs correction. only 26. I must have forgotten a few. or thought I had more. 13 will be scrapped shortly

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Spyder arrived tomorrow. carrier called today. 365gt4 2 2 arrives Thursday/Friday

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I can't imagine what it is like having that many cars and trying to keep track of them all.

Still it saddens me to read that some may be scrapped in the near future.

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    getting them all running has been more than a challenge. my first real setback came in 2004 with two shops that did terrible things to three cars that cost a lot of dollars. plus one dealer that was a thief. I parked the cars. in 2007 business dropped more than 50% in one month. led to the now known recession. in 2012 I sold assets and paid the bank. sold some cars and gave away a few, Indy's and a Merak SS. health issues played a part. but I was really discouraged by past experience. finally have some money I sent six cars off to be put right. those six ended up at a shop that was not capable. took me way to long and six figures to pull them. now slowly each car is making progress. being retired and recovered from health issues this is now a full time job. with my income stream stopped there is a serious concern that I may not do all that I want. but 10 cars are almost finished. little things left to do but they are all road worthy and reliable. watch the post in Rosa, 'new garage'

7. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi Mitchell,

looking forward to seeing some pics.

Is this the series 2 (rounded/integrated front air dam, fog lights, regular headlights) or the series 3 (one square and one small round headlamp, similar to the Ghibli II, Shamal and other later Biturbo based cars)?

Either way, good catch!

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    so. Calif. car, series two. very nice except for top. got lucky. antifreeze good to zero.

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #9 bundas, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    They delivered it so clean!

11. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    I like it that someone rescues old Biturbos :)

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    that's me. why, I have no clue. no clue may be the problem

13. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    You don't need a clue. I think it's great that you're saving these old cars. I might be inspired to do the same myself, if I could find something interesting.

A series 2 spyder (1989-1990) would definitely be interesting.

I'll bet it's a great little car once you dust the "patina" off and address the hood and seats. Or just fold the hood up and drive her during sunny days only :). Always neat to see BMW/Porsche/Audi pilots flummoxed when the little Biturbo takes off like it's on fire!

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    the little boy in little boys

15. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    My best friend in high school, bought one new in 89. He was 16 and it was his second car. His parental units had too much money. It lasted 3months and he traded it in for a 944 turbo.

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    the old spyders are the same. I have four. some very nice. saving money. I need that robbed the alternator. another saving. good think I have not scrapped any.