Owning an exotic in a big city? Need advice. Maserati GT | FerrariChat

Owning an exotic in a big city? Need advice. Maserati GT

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mobiledev22, Feb 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    Hello all,

Tomorrow Saturday I'll be buying a White Maserati GT (my dream car) and I couldn't be anymore excited! However I have some worries. I live in Chicago, currently 22yo, and plan to use it as my daily driver. There is an upscale garage where I live so I don't have to worrying about parking around my home... However here are my questions. It would be greatly appreciated if you could share your knowledge!

- when going out to restaurants, where do you park your exotic?
    - what about coffee or regular everyday errands?
    - do you allow valet to drive it?
    - if street parking is the only absolute option, do you do it?
    - any other day-to-day tips??

I can't wait for tomorrow!!

Thanks!

2. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Congrats! Get a cheap beater for any situation you might worry about. Then there will be less wear on your good car and less wear on your nerves!

3. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    Thanks! However I plan to use it as a daily driver... until I decide otherwise anyway. Do you have any tips tho? Mostly concerning parking.

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Congratulations on your achievement! Must feel great.
    Your worry is totally natural; how to keep "your baby" safe. The tendency may be to think it'll be a magnet for trouble? Unless your previous daily driver was subjected to abuse by the public at large, I think your GT will be treated no worse than any other car on the street. To many passers-by it's just another (nice) car.

If it totally sticks out you may have an issue, but then you would be in the wrong neighborhood, and you would know it in your gut, right?

The Capital District here has some fairly rough areas, but I've driven the Bora to pick up parts from machine shops in the industrial districts on week days. Never had an issue.

Weekends and nights; I don't use valet parking, so there's that. But I use parking garages. If I'm downtown with only on-the-street parking I try to choose an area that's not overcrowded with drunk people. Except a couple times when I had no choice. But still. I've never experienced that my classic cars attract abusive behavior, been mistreated or other such humiliations.

But prepare yourself anyway: One day she will get a ding or a scratch. That's just part of life.

Cheers,
    - Art

PS - Don't forget to post pics!

5. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    #5 mobiledev22, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    THanks!! It does feel amazing! I will be picking it up this Tuesday. I keep daydreaming about it and looking at pictures! I'll probably be driving in my free time lol.

As far as the attention it may receive.. well, I never see a Maserati around here. So I don't know. I guess I will find out soon enough though!

Here are some pics of the inside!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Personally, I never valet. They might be insured, but why risk the hassle? The only exceptions have been when they let me leave the car up front (tip well) and at the Maserati Centennial event in Chicago last December.

I prefer parallel parking over parking spaces since you can avoid door dings that way. Just mind the curb! Parking in lots, I park away from the crowd, park way over in end spots whenever possible, and generally avoid the fray. Be prepared to walk.

She's gorgeous, love the color combo, enjoy!!

7. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    Nice Car!
    There's another white GT in Chicago, I saw a woman driving it on Dearborn at Madison a few months back.
    Have you tried posting in the Midwest forum? You might run across some Chicago folks there.

8. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    Good advice. You have a great point. Why worry about the hassle? I think I will most likely be parking it myself, or direct the valet people to tell me where to drive. Interesting that you prefer parallel parking...

Thanks!! I can't wait for tomorrow.. it's gonna be a long drive (3hrs there, 3hrs back.. to indianapolis) but totally worth it! It almost feels surreal. I literally keep day dreaming about it!

I'll make sure to post more pics Wednesday!

I'll also be attending Continental's event on March 21st in Hinsdale, IL. Looking forward to it!

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Here in the Uk there's a much bigger issue with vandalism of nice cars, and I know exactly where you are coming from. I make sure I know where the safe parking is wherever I go, and if it's in doubt, I don't take the Ferrari, I take the Mercedes or X5, not worth the risk. Even if nothing happens, I would have been sitting there stressing about whether the car was okay.

Maserati won't get quite the same recognition I'm guessing, as while it's beautiful and special (and I've owned at least ten of them), you may get away with it a bit more than a F would, much like Aston, and in the US, success isn't a dirty word like here, but just consider trips carefully and I'm sure you will be fine

10. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    +1 - key point

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    if you are going to worry about the car, do not take it out of the garage. I drive a Maserati/Ferrari every day. except on ice and snow(they will not move), I have had grill badges ripped out, ash tray lids stolen maker badges pried off. paint keyed so many times I cannot remember. dings and serious smacks. where. Starbucks parking lot in the best area in town. I just accept everything as part of my daily bs and pay no mind. adjusted to reality. I will not let anyone drive my car. money solves that issue when a valet or motel/hotel is involved.

12. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    IMO I find the results of daily driving an exotic unacceptable. This is why I drive a beater Honda when I need to park it. Not worth the stress IMO.

13. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    "success isn't a dirty word like here" Why is that? WTH? Don't the Brits appreciate hard work and determination?

14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Class society vs Meritocracy? The US isn't devoid of the perception either, but it's a tangent that can devolve this thread.

15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    In London, maybe they do, but a lot of Brits seem hell bent on aggro where ferraris are concerned. I've had threats, cars damaged when left in presumed safe locations, and apathy from security when it happens. Ferraris are targeted as playboy cars, whereas astons/ bentleys tend to get good reactions. That said, Porsches and masers don't get away scot free.

I've almost ended up in prison on a few occasions rectifying situations with morons here, it's never worth it, but some seem destined to test us

16. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Perhaps it simply boils down to Astons and Bentleys being regarded as British, the others not... Not necessarily a matter of whether or not they are (being perceived as) playboys' cars.

17. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Apropos London: I see Ferraris and Maseratis parked (overnight) on the streets regularly (and hordes of Bentleys, Aston Martins and Porsches, of course...), even in this time of the year, which frankly surprises me a bit.

18. Charles456

Charles456 Karting

Oct 8, 2012
    Georgia, USA
    Full Name:
    Charles Johnson
    The Maserati GT is more subtle than a Ferrari 456GT or 599, in my specific experience. The general public may stare or peek into the window, where people tend become unglued around a Ferrari, here anyway.
    My strategy: Park near the entrance with high visibility to avoid tampering. Park in the back away from traffic and movement, if the back lot looks safe. Never valet the car; tell the valet it's a special car and tip him a $20 or $50 to park right next to the booth in space #1. Never park next to minivans or construction vehicles. Park next to other highline cars; there is a mutual understanding.

19. Charles456

Charles456 Karting

Oct 8, 2012
    Georgia, USA
    Full Name:
    Charles Johnson
    Also, I like the white with red interior.
    Sporting colors.
    Have you ever watched Speed Racer?
    I still love those shows; it's interesting how detailed the show was for a cartoon.