Bora: Driving lights (Marchal?) | FerrariChat

Bora: Driving lights (Marchal?)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by highwaybora, Feb 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Has anyone a picture of Marchal driving lights on a Bora? Other brands?
    How does that seem?
    NE

2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    #2 boralogist, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Nicely done. I was a bit surprised also. Showing is secondary to driving, and driving needs lights at night. I cannot tell if yours are fog, driving, or both (covered). However, my stock lights are not enough for night driving these days (if ever). Considering leaving them down and just adding on.

Yours looks good. What considerations/trade-offs? Mounting issues?
    Yours is a 1973 I suppose (eg, no hood-slots giveaway?), but is it originally Euro' (as assumed) or convert? IF US originally, then what issues /set-up/parts removal or modification?

Mine is original 4.9US and has the 1973 stainless bumpers (mitt titts). Better than some, but likely requiring some mod's too if changing around, adding driving beams, etc. Hard to know where to start/stop, and what others have previously tried (other than obvious pure Euro' exact look) and what they had to modify. I'm not 'wedded to' stock look, but in-character and restrained look (of the day) is necessary. Euro' grille substitution possible, but not yet certain.

Also, please discuss the spoiler (Merak based?) and your judgments/advice on that from using it? Sourcing? I'll try a search on that topic separately. I gather opinions vary.
    Ned.

4. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Not to sure about your lights but you have a good looking Bora.
    Greg

5. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005

Hello Ned---

Pure driving lights; on the high beam circuit.
    When you switch the high beams on, the Cibies are also lit.
    Straightforward install.

Mine is a 1972 Factory 4.7 Euro Bora.
    With me since September, 1987.
    Purchased from original owner in Virginia.

Yes. Merak based. Got it from MIE, a few years back. Talk to Stuart.
    Largely cures the front end lift and the disconcerting wandering at speed.

If you are serious about driving your Bora both these are absolute no-brainers.

Regards,

B.

6. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Thanks.

B.

7. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Perfect--

I've covered long distances occasionally at night very comfortably, but always lucky to not quite actually have to have serious lighting--just WANTing it. Well, ok, overdriving my actual vision (but mostly clear moonlit nights, etc.). Is the lower supplemental lighting too low to the road or in any sense difficult to adjust for same properly?

If highbeam circuit only for the driving lights, must I actually use/raise the stock headlight buckets at all? Likely possible to wire around that. Besides, the lightbuckets kind of jounce a bit.

Did you replace/enhance the alternator&regulator? If so, with what exactly?

As to the airdam/spoiler, does it look best in body color or dark as the side-rockers?
    Yours looks good in photos shared, but no actual full side-view. Mine is Silver/red with black rocker panels (slimming the side-view).
    NE

8. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    1. No issues here.

2. I had already switched to a 100++ amp Bosch unit with integrated regulator way back when I had installed a custom made Evans racing radiator with the awesome Spal setup.
    If I had not, I would have upgraded the alternator for the Cibies.

3. Simply black.
    NEVER body color!

Regards,

B.

9. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    I appreciate your knowledge and shared answers.
    Working on these thoughts.

Also, re how to keep within 'thread' boundaries.
    Best,
    NE