Bora with 351 Cleveland in Redondo BeachCA some years ago | FerrariChat

Bora with 351 Cleveland in Redondo BeachCA some years ago

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bitzman, Mar 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I can't remember how many years ago this was. I just remember driving down an alley
    and seeing it and talking to the owner who was part way through a what-do-you-call-it (restomod?) (conversion). I think he wanted $25K
    I was wondering if he got it satisfactorily running on a 351 Cleveland (same engine as in Pantera) or if a later owner restored it to a Maserati V8. I think it was red.

2. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Why would anyone do this?

3. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    More horse power! Easier and cheaper to fix. I'm not sure what year this is referring to, but back in the late '70's and early '80's I knew guys who did this sort of thing..... People would drop a Amercan V8 in anything....more horse = faster! When I got my first Mistral it had a Cleveland in it! I hated it! Ripped it out and literally dropped that engine on the ground......I gave it back to the guy who sold me the car....

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Carol Shelby did this too and we all know what a loser he was ... :rolleyes:

When done these cars were NOT anything close to vaunted pieces of Italian automotive art that many more think they are today.

It also was hard and expensive to get the engines repaired, still is! In many cases it didn't justify the expense. Now add in a lot knowledge about how to tune American V8s and the plentiful availability of cheap speed equipment it's just a no brainer at that time. Iso Rivoltas and Bizzarinis are doing pretty well are they not? So there's nothing inherently bad about a well prepared pushrod V8.

When I bought mine a friend of mine had one as well and he had talked with someone who had heard about someone in the LA area trying to drop a 427 in a Bora. I would think that in cast iron it would be too heavy but an aluminum block might be interesting.

There is also this "tuned" Bora which I think burned up.

iL TRIDENTE Online

5. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Okay. My first Eye-talyan car was a 1967 Intermeccanica Torino. Ford 289 power original factory equipment. Pantera, Iso, etc., I understand all of those.

But if you want a Maserati get a through-and-through Maserati.

If you can't tune it -- and can't pay someone else to tune it -- then you may be a "posatore".