How often do you see the new Maserati Ghibli in your city? | FerrariChat

How often do you see the new Maserati Ghibli in your city?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TeamF1Jr, Apr 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I split time between Vegas and Cleveland. In Cleveland (nicer suburbs outside the city) the new Ghibli is virtually never seen. I'd say I see one a month if that. In Vegas it's more popular, but even there it's not a daily occurrence. Curious how often do you see one in your city.

2. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    All the time. Maserati is popular here in South Florida.

3. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    One example in my small village in France ! A real estate agent.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've seen about half dozen out and about the Dallas area, but I don't commute & drive mostly on weekends….T

5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Northen California I see one at least once a week.

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I drive a Ghibli, and so I'm possibly more aware of others on the road. Here in West Los Angeles, I generally see at least one other Ghibli daily, and often more than one.

7. Argento360

Argento360 Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    CA,AZ,NV
    Full Name:
    John
    Here in SoCal I see 2 or 3 or more every time I go out. Since last summer, a dealer around here has been advertising them for a $600/mo lease, $0 down for 39 months. I recall at the time hearing the dealers had an oversupply of inventory. They're still running the ad so I'm guessing they've sold a lot of them and still have more to go.

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I know several dealers here. The cars are moving quickly, but as with almost all new cars, the more you sell, the more you're allocated. They are neither sitting on dealers showrooms, nor are they in short supply. PLENTY of black, white, gray, and silver cars out there. Some of the other colors might be difficult to find in combination with specific equipment/packages.

The $600/mo lease is a loss-leader - only one car at that payment. And of course the payment is $600 + tax, and "$0 down payment" doesn't mean no money out of pocket (1st payment, security deposit, license fee, doc fee, and acq fee come to around $3000 total out of pocket).

9. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    In Newport they are everywhere.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Chicago - I see them once a week. Maybe more now that the weather is getting better.

11. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    I live in Chicago as well and am now starting to see 3-4 daily.

12. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Here in San Francisco, and the Bay Area Penninsula (high end suburbs ) I see about 3 a week, and one Grand Tourismo a week. I used to see lots of QPs, but not anymore. 9 out of 10 are driven by Chinese here.
    I'm still wondering if the Ghiblis AWD are just a rebadged Chrysler ?
    RF.

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #13 El Wayne, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    The AWD system is shared with the QP, but not with any other FIAT/Chrysler product that I'm aware of. The rest of the car is made up as follows:

Maserati chassis: Shortened QP chassis. Will be shared with future FIAT/Alfa/Chrysler products.

Ferrari engine: Ferrari-designed and built in Maranello. Block cast in U.S. Chrysler foundry per Ferrari specifications then sent to Maranello to be built-up. (EU-only optional Diesel engine is supplied by VM Motori and shared with the Jeep Grand Cherokee.)

ZF transmission: ZF 8HP 8-speed automatic transmission.

Maserati brakes (Brembo), steering, and suspension: All borrowed from/shared with the QP and GranTurismo.

Chrysler and Maserati switchgear: The infotainment display, Garmin navigation, window switches, and some of the other interior controls are just dressed-up Chrysler stuff. The rest of it is borrowed directly from the QP.

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Maserati does claim to have their own engineering department and a bespoke engineer who is said to have designed these. I'll try and find the guy's name. But do they get to share a lot of Ferrari's engineering? Of course.

Best thing that ever happened to Ferrari streets car engines is that development of the Maserati V8 for 2002 MY. That finally got Ferrari away from the horrendous maintenance of cam belts and mechanical valve lash adjustment on their most popular cars. Both companies got dragged kicking and screaming :D into 1990s technology just a bit late.

What is kind of ironic is that they are now producing Detomaso Maseratis once again.

A full line of Biturbos!

Same basic concepts here, compact engines, Twin turbo, luxury saloons with a bit of a sporty attitude at more reasonable pricing with Italian luxury and elegance.

Much better executed of course.

15. 121Designer

121Designer Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    Cross pollination of Ferrari engineering and Maserati styling sounds like a fusion worth experiencing, I'm waiting for a LaMaserati hypercar to show on the scene in LA. I imagine Maserati styling married to the performance of the hybrid Fararri flagship would turn some heads.

16. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well they did do the MC12 after the Enzo but it's a substantially different engine (gear driven cams) and then they went racing with it to build up the brand.

I doubt Maserati will be doing that again anytime soon, they wouldn't be allowed.

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Were you able to find this information? I can find no source that states that Maserati designed the engine in-house.

18. 121Designer

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    Top Gear did a cool tribute to the M12 and it's Enzo pedigree. Not a small car, but sure was cool. It's worth a watch....they liked it as expected.

19. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    That was mentioned in various places when the new engine range was introduced, e.g.: 2014 Maserati Quattroporte S Q4 drive review | Autoweek

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  21. 121Designer

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    That was a good read. How do you like the ZF transmission and the feel of the change from 50/50 power to all rear drive. Is there any manual control over how the power is applied to front/rear under various conditions like race, rain and the like? Thanks

22. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    A guy in my town has one. He may be new to town. Our town is real small and I'm def not the mayor but I don't know anybody who knows him

23. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    Last week was the first time I've seen one in the New Orleans area.

24. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I see a white one in Lynnfield from time to time. Maybe the same one??

25. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I dislike automatic transmissions in general, but this one is tolerable in automatic+sport mode (shifts quickly, holds in lower gears longer, actually downshifts upon deceleration), and pretty good in manual+sport mode. Of course, I would have preferred either a true manual or at least an F1-type auto-manual.

I did't purchase the Q4 model, so no AWD for me. I'm fairly certain, however, that the Q4 has no manual control for front/rear torque split. I believe that the system defaults to RWD and then automatically transfers torque to the front wheels when any of several sensors detect slip or otherwise deem it necessary.