QP 008 | FerrariChat

QP 008

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by randall977, May 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randall977

randall977 Rookie

Apr 30, 2015
    #1 randall977, May 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good to finally find a place where there are classic Maserati enthusiasts.

I've been on the look out for a RHD QP1 project for quite while, eventually I bought one before Christmas. Probably a bit more work required than I really wanted, but I like a challenge... The car is chassis 008, never been restored and it's complete. The bonnet and boot lids are alloy, the car has been off the road since 1981, but fortunately dry stored, still it's been in the UK so is rusty - particularly around the sills.

Since getting the car to its new home I've sent off the radiator, lower and upper engine, interior, bumpers , air con and brakes to be redone, re-cored, repaired etc. I've started on the body but not really got into it yet as I have a few other things on at the moment - I plan to within the next few weeks.

Below are a few photos - are attachments the only way to show photos in a thread?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. randall977

randall977 Rookie

Apr 30, 2015
    #2 randall977, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of areas of the car I'm working on right now is the air con and cooling. In 1965 a/c was very unusual in the UK, fortunately it's a fairly standard system and parts are readily available. I was going to rebuild the York 206 compressor etc but after some research decided to give the whole system over to Fen Air who have some experience with Maserati a/c. The original system would never work with modern refrigerant as it would permeate the rubber pipes and seals.

While the car is completely stripped down it's the ideal time to sort out the a/c, it would frustrate me for it not to be working (I guess it doesn't work in many classic cars). I'm having a few subtle upgrades as well - quieter internal fan and better control overall but it will look identical externally.

I'm also rebuilding the water pump, which, as most of you will know is driven via a whip cable attached to the compressor. Lots written about this - I'm sticking with the original unbroken cable but have ordered a new one as a backup. If it does break it will still work but noisily! One of the photos show the two types of water pump setup - one for a/c and the other with a pulley in the place of the compressor (both off a QP1).

Another photo shows the thermostat with original bellows type thermostat, I’ve never actually seen one work so tried it in boiling water. It works very well and about 10x faster than a modern thermostat – so it’s staying.

3. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Congratulations on your car! You will have plenty of work ahead of you, but it will be worth it. I've had my Qp-1 for 3.5 years now and I love it. I have two friends who live nearby with QP-1 as well so we sometimes have a little gathering. Not many places where you have 3 cars in the same area.

4. randall977

randall977 Rookie

Apr 30, 2015
    Thanks Freddie, I'm really pleased to have one of these. There were so few RHD QP's, I think only 3 exist in the UK. Also, like the AM Lagonda Rapide I had until last year, an incredibly undervalued super exclusive 1960's super saloon. I believe mine is the oldest QP in existence...depending on how you look at it!