Bora side marker lights - Alfa Romeo part? | FerrariChat

Bora side marker lights - Alfa Romeo part?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 71Satisfaction, May 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Good afternoon,
    Looking forward to this summer's driving!
    I understand the Bora's side marker lights - the whole fixture, not just the amber/red lenses - are the same as some Alfa Romeo side markers. Can anyone here confirm and share the Alfa model that these interchange with? I'm needing to replace all four on my Bora, 1975 US spec. I have new lenses, just need the chrome plated plastic housings.
    Thank you,
    - Art

2. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Art,
    Don't know about the Alfa parts but I bought new side marker lights from MIE. Fit like direct replacements.

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think you're thinking of the european ones.

Art, those housings are pretty curved to fit the USA Bora fenders so would they really be likely to not be bespoke?

Nothing is listed in the Bora interchange list I have for that light. I need one too ...

I also didn't see them on the MIE website but they may have them anyway.

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks guys,
    MIE has perfect replacement lenses (albeit without the Carello logo) but not the chrome plated plastic housings. And yes, with that curvature, they sure do look bespoke, but Ivan suggested the Alfa connection and he tends to know what he talks about. I'll contact Emile's out in CA, see if they know of an exchange.

If all else fails, I'll use a custom fabrication shop here in Albany. Employ their 3D digital scanner on the originals, clean up the digital file and have prototypes 3D printed and plated. Run a production batch once we have them perfected. That should be fun.
    - Art

5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That sounds like a great idea! The only thing I'd be concerned about is the cost of plating. I looked into having a set of plastic mirror housings plated a few years ago and it was just plain nuts!

No xref has made it into the Bora interchange list as yet.

Keep us posted.

6. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Emile's is looking for Emile to ask if he knows.
    MIE is looking in their spare parts inventory.

I got this from MIE though: They interchange diagonally, i.e. the front left rotates to fit on the right rear.

Dammit, yes - chrome plating looks to be a dying enterprise. Two places I called recently stopped doing it. Vacuum plating isn't durable enough for exterior use, the former business owner said to look for electroplating.

The plot thickens.
    - Art

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There used to be more Merak parts donor cars :(

You could always go European for the markers ...

8. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    I checked our cars against my '77's lights and nothing we have matches ('69GTV, '74 GTV, '74 Spider, Pantera). Fiat Spiders from 71-78 had similar looking housings and originally had a different one for each corner, but IAP now sells just two types. Some years of Alfetta GTs also have similar lights but I don't know if the dimensions are the same.

We've done some 3D printed parts (e.g. sunvisor mounting brackets for the QPIII) and the surface finish was slightly pebbly even after polishing. Maybe there are suppliers who have finer resolution than the one we used (Shapeways).

9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thank you GLB, very helpful!

Yes, I checked a friend's Pantera last year. It looked closely matched from 20ft away, but as you found, no dice. That's a broad spectrum of Alfa's you searched too.

The existing chrome plating is a little pebbly from the get go, either from manufacturing or from age. So the 3D print grain may be just the right texture, a fortuitous coincidence if true. MIE found me one. I'll update how it matches the existing and how I solve any problems in replacement.

Best,
    - Art