Indy 4900, high pressure brakes | FerrariChat

Indy 4900, high pressure brakes

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by jarnved, May 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    #1 jarnved, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi
    How do i check the oil level on my ZF gearbox/transmission? There is nothing about it in the service book!
    It seems to be easy on the earlier model while the service book says it can be checked from the engine compartment in the left side!
    My car has number AM116/491988
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    The gearbox is of the constant mesh type; there are five forward synchromesh gears plus
    reverse gear. The gear shift lever is fitted directly on the centre of the gearbox.

The oil level in the gearbox can be checked by a dipstick which is found at the left side of the bonnet.

This dipstick has the sole function of indicating the presence of oil and therefore there are
    no level mark on it.

3. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    Hi Mamamia
    Thanks for quick answer but do you or others have a pics where it shows it because i have looked and i cant find it, sorry.

4. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    #4 mamamia, May 13, 2015
    Does this help ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Your car most likely has the Khamsin style gearbox. I do not recall if that gearbox has the dipstick. Look at the Khamsin user guide (available on my website) for the answer.

Ivan

6. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    AFAIK the Indy 4.9 with LHM has a Khamsin type gearbox, which has no dipstick.

Your oil-level is checked with the filler plug, located on the left side, a few centimetres forward of the rectangular cover.

Best,

Jack.

7. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    Hi all, thanks for all tha answers, and my Indy has the Khamsin type gearbox therefore no dipstick.

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I heard years ago that Maserati prototyped all of the LHM stuff on the Indy before they built a Khamsin and that the car used for this was referred to by Bertocchi as the "little chicken". It may have included the IRS as well. But Marc Sconnery who's done enormous research on all of this can find not such a lead?

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Bob,

It makes sense that they would have used an Indy as a mule, and an Indy with the IRS would be pretty nice. I can't see how they would have incorporated the Khamsin steering though!

These days I think it is a legal requirement that these mules are destroyed, but back in the days it was rather different. Think, for instance, that Australia ended up with a few Mk2 Jags with 4.2 engines, and Ferrari's with experimental engines in them. Wouldn't it be cool to have that Indy, if it exists?

Best,

Jack.

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes the steering would have been impossible and the Indy is not a dry sump is it?

So how much would have been learned from it? Just the IRS?

11. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Indy is wet sump, so in that case, yes 'just' the IRS, brakes and clutch, headlight-pods, drivers seat height adjustment. The Indy 4.9 also received the Starburst (?) rims, which are 15", whereas all other Indy's have 14" rims IIRC. Also from memory, I think the 4.9 Indy also had a different dashboard?

I'm confusing matters now, with the 'mule' and 4.9 Indy production models.

Best,

Jack.

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've never seen a LHM equipped Indy though Joe Alphabet tried to sell me one once. Do they have the silly seat adjustment via hydraulics like the Bora & Khamsin? What about headlamps?

13. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    #13 jarnved, May 21, 2015
  14. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Beautiful car!
    IRS = independent rear suspension. The Khamsin has a wonderful double-wishbone rear suspension.

Best,

Jack.

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No Indy was delivered with IRS that I've ever heard tale of. We were speaking of a mythical test mule car for the development of the Khamnsin.

Thanks for the info on your car!

So your clutch is not LHM assisted?

16. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    No it's not assisted by LHM but has its own fluid cannister placed in the left side of the engine room, very difficult to fill, and has a slave clutch cylinder.

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Fluids on a LHM Indy are confusing, brake fluid, LHM and ATF not to be confused!
    A little odd though that the Indy did not get the assisted clutch, it's a fantastic thing to have in town and on twisty mountain roads. It sets the Khamsin apart from anything else, and your left leg is grateful for it.

Best,

Jack.

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    +1. The Bora would have also benefited with the assisted clutch.

Ivan

19. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    We don´t have mountains in Denmark therefore my left legs are not hurting:)))))

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A worthy project!

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

Bob who is "Sconnery";-)?

The very first car to get LHM was the company car that Malleret used, an Indy. I have never heard of it being modified with IRS and it does not really make sense.

They later spent a lot of time working with the first Khamsin prototype AM120.002 which was a modified Ghibli chassis with the initial Khamsin body though not in definitive version, you could tell the design was based on the Lamborghini Urraco adjusted to front engined configuration (as Gandini confirmed to me) and it had a longer tail and very different interior too. It had IRS and all LHM. That car was destroyed in the December 1973 crash test.

Best regards,

Marc

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    He's your Scottish half brother from another mother ... :D

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ