Ghibli conversion from LHD to RHD | FerrariChat

Ghibli conversion from LHD to RHD

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by hiltsuk, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Hi
    Has anyone had any experience of converting a Ghibli Mk1 to RHD or vice versa? If so apart from the interior dash and trim what are the main mechanical hurdles?

Is such a conversion likely to have a detrimental impact on the cars provenance?
    I ask because I have bought a LHD car which I intend to use in the UK (RHD
    cars are a significant premium and beyond my price level).

Any thoughts, opinions or insights appreciated.

2. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Just an observation not insight as such, many of Australia's Ghibli population started off as LHD cars and were converted in the seventies when it was virtually impossible to drive a LHD car in this country.
    At least 2 of the Melbourne cars are RHD conversions.
    My car is LHD but I will keep it that way- cost and originality are my reasons and I can drive it here with no real issues these days

Julian

3. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Thanks Julian. I guess it will be a lot harder to convert these days given lack of parts

4. dougieboxer

dougieboxer Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #4 dougieboxer, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Keep the car original - it will make no difference to your enjoyment of the car and will simply devalue it. Where's yours being restored? I get the feeling our Ghiblis are within touching distance of each other!

Here's mine a few weeks ago, in the middle of the build up stage - I'm aiming for completion in spring next year, once I've sold a kidney to pay for the engine rebuild!

Doug
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Its in Farnham. Hoping for MOT today and with any luck on the road in 2 weeks. Like the colour of yours. Mine has had full engine rebuild which cost around £25k but that was agreed as part of the deal I agreed. Whats the background on your car, it a UK RHD?

6. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Dougieboxer.
    I would be interested to get an idea of your engine rebuild cost.
    I am currently rebuilding my Bora 4.7 engine and i think i may have to dispense with 2 kidneys. My estimation now is around $A35k
    Greg

7. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    fantastic color!

8. dougieboxer

dougieboxer Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Mine's one of the few original RHD SS's and was the 1970 London Motor show car. It was stored in a lock up in East London since 1977! after a minor front end prang with a police car (that's a great story in itself!) and the owner left to work abroad, so it was left in suspended animation for over 30 years until I got hold of it. Luckily it was in a very good storage environment and the body was still in excellent shape, so once the front end was repaired it was a relatively straightforward job (if there is such a term in Maserati restorations!) It's currently down near Bournemouth on the South Coast, but I'm actually based about 15 mins from Farnham so we should meet up sometime and compare empty wallets!!

9. dougieboxer

dougieboxer Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks! I got as close to the original Rame metallic as possible, and it looks spectacular in direct sunlight - can't wait to see it with all the shiny chrome work back on the car!

10. dougieboxer

dougieboxer Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I've loosely budgeted about £20k, so it looks like we're all in the same ball park. Mine's being done at Jim Stokes' workshop who have a fantastic reputation in the U.K - in fact it's on the engine assembly line with a Bora engine - it's not yours is it?! If you need more specific parts costs just PM me and I'll check. Regards, Doug

11. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    My engine was rebuilt by Formhalls in Hampshire.

12. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    My Mistral was originally Rame Metallizzato with Senape leather, but is currently black on black. I might repaint it in the not too distant future but have not been excited about the copper colour......until now. It looks fantastic, but perhaps it is more suited to the Ghibli's lines? What colour is your interior? I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures as the reassembly continues. (sorry hiltsuk, I don't mean to hijack)