Ghibli owner experiences? | FerrariChat

Ghibli owner experiences?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by [email protected], Jun 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    So I'm looking to replace my current BMW with a new daily driver and took a close look at the new Maserati Ghibli. It's a nice car and not as common as BMW, Audi, Lexus or Mercedes. Any owners here and if so would you recommend the car? I've heard mixed views in terms of reliability with it.

2. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    We like it, considering it's size and value relative other unique alternatives (we came from Audi & MB). Our 2014 now has 17k miles on it. It's been in once for updates and new car issues (brakes, radio). It is a different car. We do not have the sport exhaust but it still sounds awesome when you step on it.
    :)

3. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    With the deals out there you might as well at least go drive one. The '14s had issues with squeaks and rattles but I have heard the 15s addressed most of those issues.

4. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Thanks guys,

I drove the base Ghibli model this week and loved it. Will drive the SQ4 and see if that is worth the extra cost. Interior design is fantastic in line with far more expensive cars.

Coming from a 2006 BMW M3 the performance is decent and better looks and unique factor a major plus since BMW, MB and Audi are so common now in California.

So that would be sweet a nice big home with the Ghibli and Ferrari F430 Scuderia for the weekend track day!

5. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    That would be a very attractive car fleet, a man with the eyes for something special! ;)
    A few weeks ago I had the possibility to drive a Ghibli SQ4 on a race track. I was very positively surprised about its potential, a great car!

6. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I've had an SQ4 for about 6 months and here are some of my observations.
    The car sounds amazing with the sport exhaust, it opens up at around 3500 RPM right up to red line. You can't get that kind of exhilarating sound out of a BMW or Merc.
    The suspension is firm but compliant around corners and handles really predictably around corners at high speed.
    It looks amazing from the front but too much like a Kia from the back. I wish they differentiated it more like a true Italian car.
    However, there are some misses that are simply mind boggeling to me though:
    In a rush when changing gears you will easily miss R and go straight into D. Also when parking there are times when I've intended to shift into P but hit R and the car started to roll back. I still haven't figured out how to put the transmission from Manual mode to Auto mode. It is bar none one of the worst shifters I have ever had. The keyless GO works when it feels like it and I've gone into limp mode inexplicably 3 times to which the dealer couldn't replicated the issue.
    The infotainment system is OK but at $90+ should be able to have a mouse pad like the other brands. And did I mention the volume button is not lit at night?!?!
    If you can get by these silly Italian quirks and the fact that you need to be a slight contortionist to fasten your seatbelt into the clicker, I would do it again.
    That said, the depreciation on these things is staggering so Lease is the only way unless you can get about $15-$20k off MSRP which is pretty common. Good luck.

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Use wrist movement, not arm movement.

Simply push the M button on the center console, it turns on and off the Manual mode.

You don't need a mouse pad, it is like working an IPad. BTW don't need a light there are rocker switches on the back of the steering wheel (right side volume, left side switch station presets)

8. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Test drove an SQ4 a month ago and have to say it sounded quite nice. The performance is not on par with an M or AMG at about the same price. The technology and convenience stuff is a little behind the comparably priced German Sedans. The touchscreen is the same as a Jeep Cherokee.. However, the Ghibli is more unique and rarer to see them the M3, M5, M6, C63, E63, CLS 63. It likely gets a bit more "wow" factor from the General masses due to its looks and it being a Maserati. And should I say again, the sound!

9. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Yes I know about the rocker switches on the back of the steering wheel, but there are on the wrong hand. The volume should be on the left side of the wheel, not on the right, since it would be redundant with the volume switch on the console which also requires the right hand to operate.

10. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Just leased a nice one on Saturday for 5k out the door and $539 a month for 39 months, 10k miles per year. MSRP was $76k. So far so good, its a nice change from the 2007 S550 it replaced althought the interior is rubbish even compared to that 9 year old car. It drives nice, looks sexy and is a good stablemate to my 360

Find a really good lease deal, they are out there right now on 2015's for sure

11. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Yes, its a nice car that didn't go to finishing school.

12. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    S Q4 or the base Ghibli, Robert? Been thinking about one myself.

13. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Not in Chicago, I've seen more Ghibli's than C63's for example. Last year they sold 23,500 Ghiblis worldwide. I believe Mercedes sells under 10k C63s a year.

14. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Give us a break, please. A C63 is a C-class model (a special, if not glorified one for sure), of which there are many. many versions, and which are made in the hundreds of thousands per year.

Please compare apples with apples.

15. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Base - Fiat gave the dealer money to put on a few base models. I thought the Nero / Couio with the upgraded wheels made it look as nice as the 90k ones i saw. They discounted it from 76k to 58.6k....

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

??? huh ???

c-63 is NOT just a c-class. that is not correct and the 63 is quite rare when compared to most in its class.

17. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #17 Merak1974, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    The C63 is a C-class. Period. It's a rare version of the C-class. That's all. Just like the S Q4 is a version of the Ghibli, of which there are other versions as well (but not as many as, for example, a C-class of course...).

Most people would probably not even be able to distinguish a C63 from any other C-class. Just like most people would not care much about whether a Ghibli is the base model, a S model or a S Q4. Or, for that matter, whether it has a diesel or a petrol engine.

My point was simply that comparing to total annual production of the Ghibli range (23K or so) with the production of a single version (the C63; which amounts to 10-15K per year) of a range (the C-class), is comparing apples with something else.

18. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    I rented an SQ4 for a week while in Miami.

I truly enjoyed the ride/handling balance and the engine the most. The automatic was very efficient and the Ghibli can be driven really hard or become a true cruiser in a moment's notice. The Ghibli truly has a dual personality which I enjoyed during my week with the car.

The interior is sensitive to options and trim and needs to be optioned well in order to feel expensive. The most frustrating thing to use was the automatic shifter but I believe it's been adressed on the 2016 and other niggling issues.

My overall impression was very positive. I believe Maserati will keep refining the product where it counts.

19. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    A few days ago I discussed with two colleagues, both Ghibli owners (Diesel and SQ4), about the reliability of their cars. Both have driven more than 35 km per year with their cars. Conclusion: both had absolute no problems with the cars, the Ghibli technology is very reliable. Only one colleague had a slight rattle noise coming from the dashboard, the garage was able to fix it.

After more than one year of ownership both are very proud about their Ghibli's; they own mature technology beautifully packaged very pleasant and sporty to drive.

Funny: both told me that they are very surprised by the number of positive feedback about their Maseratis.

20. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Merak I didn't make the original comparison. If you notice the quoted text I was responding to, Ghibili's being rarer than specific AMG and M models, that has not been the case for me.

I do, however, see far more C-classes than I do Ghiblis of course.

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #21 El Wayne, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Reliability: I've had my 2015 for about five months now and no speaker rattles or other 2014 model defects so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Shifter: Shifting between park/reverse/etc took a couple of days to get used to. Not the big PRNDL shifter of most autos, but a little thing that only requires a flick of the wrist as opposed the full motion of one's arm.

Interior: The basic interior suffers from too much plastic. (The standard "Dark Mirror" trim is just grey platsic, after all.) Upgrades aren't cheap ($1400-1800 for wood, $2850 for CF), but are really mandatory in my opinion. So is the $950 Extended Leather option. These things make an enormous difference, so settle for less, and you'll probably regret it later. I chose the black extended leather with contrasting grey stitching and Radica wood trim. I'm not a fan of two-tone dashboards, CF, or glossy wood, so this was the best option for me.

Volume knob: It's true; the volume knob is not illuminated. While odd (like, really odd, if you think about it), it's something that doesn't matter much to me because I use the volume control on the back of the steering wheel - in exactly the same spot as it is in our Fiat 500.

Driving experience: Great for the money. Power is more than adequate - some turbo lag off the line, but plenty of passing power once you're on the go. Steering/handling/braking feel great and the sound is probably the best you're going to get in a sedan at this price range. I go straight to Manual/Sport modes every time I start the car, and can't for the life of me understand why there isn't a way to make these the default setting.

Appearance: I like the way the car looks, but the right colors really can help. The styling's more subtle than most people would want or expect from a Maserati, so pairing it with the usual black/white/grey/silver is a good way to blend in with the crowd. The lines seem to 'pop' better in blue or red. Loved the car in Rosso Energia, but let the Mrs talk me into going with Blu Passione. I chose the 20" wheels and red brake calipers to help it to stand out a bit more - and because, why not?

Recommendation: Yes, I would recommend it. Option the car out the way you want it instead of settling for something in dealer inventory. They're all sitting on a ton of basically-equipped, black and white cars, but you shouldn't have a problem getting a dealer to locate exactly what you want.

22. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    good post El Wayne, interesting to read.

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I don't understand what you mean when you say that the controls are on the wrong side of the wheel. Station selection is on the left, volume on the right. I don't see how having them reversed would make any difference.

As far as being redundant, well, I drive in manual mode (using the paddles), so my hands are on the wheel most of the time. It's convenient to be able to switch between station presets and control the volume without reaching away from the wheel and looking away from the road, which are really the reasons for wheel-mounted controls in the first place.

24. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    For me it makes a lot more sense to have the volume (which is used more often than presets)to be on the left side of the steering column. Typically, the right hand is either on the steering wheel or on the arm rest, or near the entertainment screen where it can easily reach for the volume button. Just makes a lot more sense to me to place it on the side where the hand is most often on the steering wheel. My Subaru STi has it on the left and it's so much more convenient especially since it is a manual. Years ago, I had an S550 with the right side setup and it made no sense either, since the right hand could also control the volume with the mouse in the center or directly on the stereo.

25. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    That is true, but you need to hit the button twice, if you only hit the M button once while in manual mode the system puts you in manual mode not realizing that it is currently in manual mode.