Anyone ship a car from Europe to USA? | FerrariChat

Anyone ship a car from Europe to USA?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by luvcoupes, Jun 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    I'm in the process of purchasing a 1971 Aston Martin from NL. I wanted to find a shipper and was hoping to hear from others for recommendations and advice on the process.
    Thanks

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Feb. a year ago I brought over a QP1. paid $10,000 to put in a special container. door to door service

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'd look beyond the Maserati sub forum for an answer.

4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There is a company called CARS that I've used. Assume approximately 8% all in with shipping, taxes, insurance, etc. If you need their contact info, PM me.

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I also used CARS three years ago to import a Fiat Dino from Italy. They were very good but probably not the least expensive. CARS is based in the UK and also have offices in the USA.

International Car Shipping & UK and European Car Transportation

I currently have a Lancia Fulvia Zagato on a container from Italy but for this car I am using a Miami based imported that routinely brings cars from Italy.

Ivan

6. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Will the shipping company handle ALL of the paperwork AND get it through customs?

7. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    I just spoke to CARS and they will handle everything, as they are brokers.
    I'm waiting for a quote.
    Thanks everyone for your input!

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Next door to you.........

Martin Button 55 New Montgomery St # 400, San Francisco, CA 94105

(415) 777-1141

Tell him James from Lopez Island says Hi!

9. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Any suggestions about excahnge rates? Wondering if there are cheaper ways to buy euros to purchase the car than through my Bank of America. They want something like $106,000 for 90,000 euros.

10. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    $106k for 90,000 euro is crazy. Don't do it!!! Current exchange rate is about $1.1166 per euro (might be lower on Monday in light of the Greek news). You should be able to find somebody to do it at about a percentage point higher. I do it trough my TD Ameritrade account and that is about what I get. B of A is quoting you 1.1777 which is highway robbery geared toward people who want a couple hundred euro because they'll be traveling to Europe. All retail bank seem to be the same way, I had the same experience with JPM Chase...

11. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    +1 on cosdel as well. Brought in an Alfa earlier this year. Painless.

12. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Make sure you understand the California laws, and the car you are intending to import meets Ca. requirements. Unless you are intending to register it out of state. For example a 1971 car still needs to meet Ca smog laws even though it is pre 1975.

13. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    #13 luvcoupes, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Yes, you're right, only 1967 and older get a free pass. This car was originally shipped from CA to Germany in 1992, so it was a US legal car here.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interesting Gene, my Espada is a 71 MY built on 9/11/70 and it was imported by Bob Estes in LA. I have a feeling that even though it was sold there in 71 it would be illegal there now? It has zero smog control equipment. It doesn't even have the rear side marker lights. Yet I bought it in California where it was registered within the last 10 years. It is for all intent and purposes identical to a European car from that time.

15. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Bob, since your car was in Ca for awhile it could most likely come back with out a problem if you have a paper trail to prove it. The pre 1975 cars are certainly a grey area. Some people have not had a problem while others have not been able to get their cars registered. From the several stories I have heard it appears to be related to who you get at the DMV office.

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Why is this grey area? Isn't it spelled out in the law?

17. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    One set of laws exempt 1975 and earlier cars from smog. But another law relating to importing cars requires cars from 1967 to 1975 to meet the smog laws that existed at the time for that year. I am not an expert in this area but I believe imported cars 1967-1975 must also meet the safety and lighting requirements. To the best of my knowledge pre 1967 are exempt.

18. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Pre 1968. 1967 and older are exempt.

19. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thank you for your suggestion. I did find a currency exchange firm and the deal is done...got it for 1% above: paid 1.113

20. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    What year is your Alfa? If 1968, or newer, please describe any customs issues, and it's registered in CA?

thanks