Craigslist Find: 1962 3500 GT AM-101-1806 | FerrariChat

Craigslist Find: 1962 3500 GT AM-101-1806

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 3500 GT, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #1 3500 GT, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Gorgeous!

3. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    Except the wrong color !

Ciao

Andrea

4. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Define "wrong"...

5. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    I really struggle to understand why, many 3500 GT owners persist in repainting their cars in an unlikely and wrong, racing or china red.

This color wasn't at all available at the origin in the factory's range standard colours .
    It's obvious that Maserati and Touring were in agreement on the fact that the racing red wasn't at all suitable for such an elegant car.

So Maserati offered a dark red or a metallic ruby red on the coupè, and offered the racing red only on the Vignale spyder.

Ciao

Andrea

6. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Got it.

Thank you.

7. ch2056

ch2056 Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Colours are personal . Probably there was a need for a red 3500 Touring in those days. My car 101-442 was resprayed red (same colour as 101-1806) within a year after the purchase and it still is today. This means the car was grey metallic for only a few months and is red for already more than 55 years now. I am not going to change it because I like this colour ;-)

Marcel

8. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    I perfectly know that colors are personal so everybody can paint his own car as he want.
    I've just said that racing red on a 3500 GT coupè is a wrong colour and, historically speaking, this is an incontestable truth.

Ciao

Andrea

9. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Would a repaint in the correct white bring a higher or lower price?
    ... Personally, I think it looks fantastic :) ...

10. graemewy

graemewy Rookie

Dec 17, 2010
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Tim
    While I am not going to argue the "historical" correctness of certain colours, I would like to point out several things.

Roland Selby, whose car this once was, spent 18 years restoring 1806, beginning with the car's purchase, in Seattle in 1980. As we all know the next two decades were not particularly kind to Maserati. Many 3500s disappeared over that period due to neglect and the fact that there was not the market there, that we have only seen recently. If it wasn't for people like, Roland, Frank, and Kyle Flemming, many of the cars we see today would not exist. The fact that Roland spent the time to "recreate" the car should be celebrated. He never intended the car to compete, other than at local events. He loved the colour and this made the car special to him.

To reinforce my point I have included a link to the picture record Roland kept on the car. Please take a minute to have a look at the 400 plus pictures he took of the restoration. The password is " milhouse". I hope you enjoy the history.

http://www.3500gtam1011806.shutterfly.com/

11. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.

I have given my opinion on the proper historicity of the restoration job.
    So I say, once more, that the racing red is not a correct paint.
    If I were judge in a concourse of elegance, I would certainly negatively point out this aspect .

Moreover,in my personal taste, a white body with a red interior is very elegant, while a red body with a red interior is not the same.
    In case of purchase, for me, this issue would have a significant effect on the deal.

Ciao

Andrea

12. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I fully agree with you on the correctness of the restoration done on that car. However, my question is actually sincere; how would a repaint to the original white affect the value of the car on the market?

I think that particular car looks great as it is, and it will probably be easy to sell in today's market.

However, given the recent appreciation of the 3500, that model is now getting beyond the enthusiast segment and has moved firmly into the collectors segment, in which I believe originality is much more important. If so, a repaint could pay off.

Best,
    Gabriel

13. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    It is my careful opinion that the color combination of a classic car such as a 3500 can make a big difference in the price, and how fast the car will sell.
    There is no doubt that the 3500GT shows extremely well in certain color combinations as apposed to others. Think about it. What would you prefer?
    For me I prefer elegance and understated over flashy and loud.
    Just saying.
    Ciao,
    FGM

14. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    I fully agree with You.

Ciao

Andrea

15. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #15 3500 GT, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I tend to agree with FGM,........except let's not forget,..........Maserati likes Rosso...........click on the enclosed attachment at bottom of the page for your color match! 1961 factory brochure,.....looks very "China Red/Racing" to my eyes,..............just sayin'.

By the way,......the subject RED car in question is a very, very nice example.

An aside note: The 7/1961 brochure also shows us the correct "mill finish" or "silver/natural steel finish" of the factory exhaust system. In case the Concorso judges are reading..... ***Thanks to Ivan for the brochure PDF***
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.

The red remained just on that car showed in the brochure.
    As said, it was never offered to customers in the standard colour range.

Ciao

Andrea

17. graemewy

graemewy Rookie

Dec 17, 2010
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I guess Maserati must have sold the "red car" to someone.

18. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Records show that the brochure was printed on Nov. 12th 1959.
    On Dec 18th the car was sold via factory bill of sale to a customer in Palermo who sent it immediately back to the factory on Jan 5th and had it repainted silver.
    The paint was ordered from Modena Housea of a Colore on invoice #101916 dated Jan 18th. 1960.
    We know this because you are reading it here on the internet.
    Raise your hand if you believe this? Just kidding its a joke. :)

I actually owned a late 3500GTI. it was my very first Maserati - which started a company and a club when I could not find parts to repair it - and yes, it was painted red from the factory with black leather wire wheels and charcoal carpets.
    Many of you know the car. Personally I like the car in red, it is simply not my favorite (at the moment)

The car on offer in Vancouver is in fact, having seen it several times, a very well done car that should do well in this market.
    It is also my careful opinion that due to the car not having its original matching number engine it should sell for approximately 15% less than a comparable car in comparable condition.
    I am interested in what YOU think the difference should be, if any, in a matching number car vs a non matching number car given comparable condition?

This is all offered Buffett style, i.e. take what you want, and leave the rest. :)

Ciao,
    FGM

19. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    This is the point. We have collectively come to understand that anything is possible from the factory, including non-standard colours. I believe FGM made this point when considering a repaint of one of his 3500GTs (correct me if I'm wrong). The customer got what the customer wanted….and was willing to pay for, whether it was cherry red paint on a 3500GT or Webers on a Mistral or brown shag carpeting on a 5000GT. What then is the benchmark for historical correctness? Is it correct for a judge to deduct points for a non-standard colour? Gentlemen, bring out your build sheets! (are they even all accurate? I don't know, I'm asking)

Then there is period correct rather than factory correct. If we know of an example of a racing red 3500 from the factory, then doesn't that make any 3500 period correct in that same paint? I guess this is Trev's point.

20. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    +1
    FGM

21. lambotom

lambotom Karting

Apr 12, 2011
    Both my Maserati 3500 GT’s were originally silver, and I opted to keep them that way. But my Sebring was grey, I had it painted it the most gorgeous BMW X6 bordeaux and it trasnsformed the car. My Ghibli spider was originally a coupé and “volpe”, a color akin to the color of the water in your sink when you did a lot of dishes. It is now just fabulous in black and my favorite car; my other ghibli is verde gemma, and it makes your knees go weak just looking at it.
    I bought my Miura red, it was originally white, just horrible, exactly the same situation (red after white) for my Islero S. I presume the Miura is still yellow, as I had it repainted, unless the new owner valued “originality” (= resale money?) over taste. The Islero is now gorgeous in jaguar e-type gunmetal grey.
    My Bora was born yellow, it is now red, maybe I will give it back its original color soon. My Khamsin was repainted in the original dark blue, as it suits the car perfectly.

All this to say that you guys probably will still like your wife when she wears a dress of a different color…

It reminds me of a discussion on the vintage Lamborghini forum about which black would be correct for the handbrake on the Miura…The answer is “any black”, meaning the one Luigi or Alfredo could get at the paint store within 30 minutes to allow bertone to build the cars as fast as Ferruccio Lamborghini could sell them…

Main thing is we like our cars and drive them, and enjoy doing it!

Cheers,

Tom, Belgium

22. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Resale red is proven to work but red on red ? i recall a Billy Tracy restoration of a seven litre Grifo that was red on red and it took Bill years to sell that car. Off white or silver even a two tone would be nice, but not red on red.