Maserati Biturbo | FerrariChat

Maserati Biturbo

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by pete_red60, Jun 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pete_red60

pete_red60 Rookie

Apr 2, 2007
    Hey Guys, First time on this thread. Would like to know if anyone owns a biturbo, would like some feedback looking to purchase one. (late 80's spyder automatic) just sold 86 ferrari mondial cab, Thanks guys for your time!

2. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Welcome Pete,
    While I don't own one and can't offer advice, I will say you came to the right place. There are some here who are dedicated BiTurbo adherents. I bet they'll chime in soon.
    Cheers and best wishes,
    - Art

3. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf
    There is a thread in this forum with the title below. Nobody has posted it to it since December 2014, so I would suggest putting your post at the end of the thread below to 'bump' it back to life!

"OFFICIAL" MASERATI BI-TURBO ERA ENTHUSIAST THREAD

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Hi. I have nine cars. Along with a lot of other Maserati models. What would like to know. Number one they are cheap. Number two. There is a reason

6. pete_red60

pete_red60 Rookie

Apr 2, 2007
    Thanks will do that!

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I could almost be temped but I already have a nice one and I KNOW what will have to be done to that car to make it run really well and reliably. I have no space for it.

A great candidate for anyone who wants one though.

DON'T DRIVE IT AT ALL WO GOING THROUGH ALL THE CRITICAL THINGS FIRST.

I bet it needs new head gaskets so plan on that and the valve adjustment, belt & tensioner and oiling system mods in the heads at the same time.

Convert it to WC turbos too.

Put a centerforce upgraded 9 1/2" clutch in.

The interior looks very good.

I hope it gets the right home with someone who has they're eyes wide open before deciding. This cannot be done successfully on the cheap.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I almost bought one of these back in the 1980's. What made that not happen were the looks. It drove and handled pretty nice but the coupe top made it look almost like an economy car. It really did not stand out like most Maserati's do. The interior was also nice, but more luxury that sport. Overall a nice idea that was not executed very well due to factory funds/time ect. If they had done a fastback version it might have looked better.

10. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    You are picky picky😉. It's a Maserati. That makes it special

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    This was just before the Maserati/Chrysler TC era. Not all 1980's-1990's Maserati's are that special!!

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's funny, the reaction from people to mine now is much different than it was say during the last 15 years. My neighbors drool over the looks of it and it now gets as lot of looks on the road. It was never supposed to be the sort of uber sporty looking GT car that the Ghibli, Bora and Khamsin were. But then I always found the 3500 dowdy looking and old fashioned/truck like to drive, still do and are. But today they're through the roof compared to back in the late 1980's.

Yeah DeTomaso screwed the pooch with the execution and launch here in the USA. The later cars over in Europe were much better and I have one of those as well but they still never were BMW, Audi or MBZ quality. Not even close. Just a lot of fun and they did do somethings better than those cars, comfort being one thing. No Italian cars during that time frame were either.

13. finlandese

finlandese Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
  14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    430 fixed and home. I just cannot get the AC to handle the 90+ temp. with 134. anyone having a better result. the same shop now has my 89 spyder. needs. belt job and a general go through. I still have 7 biturbo sitting. newest 1987. they will scrap by year end unless someone wants to pay money.

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Why not post some photos of each car inside, outside, engine compartment. Put them up here and over on Biturbozentrum. If you'd prefer to see them saved and also get some money in the process you're going to have to temp some of us loonatics! :D

16. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Bundas, we hear a lot about your Maseratis, but hardly ever see images of them posted on these pages.

We'd love to see some of them !!!

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    that requested. so far, a waste of time.

18. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Fair enough !!

19. D-F

D-F Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    I saw one for sale not long ago, 1988 model, very cheap but in horrible condition. Amazing that it's not very old and has low mileage but can be in so bad shape. If you thought DeLorean has horrifying quality you may change your mind after seeing some Biturbos.

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Most of them are left unattended outside for long periods of time mostly because the repairs were too high. That ruins any car. We can find you examples of Ferraris, Maseratis and Lamborghinis etc. that look horrible after being left outdoors.

21. D-F

D-F Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    This one had been in a barn more than 10 years, rust was not too bad for an Italian (would have been if it was a 68 Volvo though). The problem seemed more like things falling apart, parts kept coming off and cracking and so on. Some years ago I bought a -64 Volvo P220 that had been stored outdoors for around 10 years and not used, the clutch was stuck but easy fix, the car started and ran flawlessly and was approved for registration after 3 days, emission control included. Even the headlight reflectors were good, the month after we took it for an almost 3000km long trip and it stayed in daily use for years as an original unrestored classic. Now blame me for thinking an -88 stored indoors should be in better shape?

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Go buy a Volvo then. vroom vroom

I've had my Biturbo for 30 years it's still a very nice car which I thoroughly enjoy.

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix 2015 - Photos, Results, Report

But there's a very specific thread for your posts.

You will enjoy the anecdotal arguments with others there.

Try here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/maserati/421047-official-maserati-bi-turbo-era-haters-thread.html?highlight=official

23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Nice article on a very pretty red Biturbo Spyder in the Nov 2015 issue of Hemmings Sport & Exotic Car magazine. Just received my copy in the mail today. :)

24. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Porsche shop should finish the belt job any tomorrow. Clutch will be in from MIE tomorrow am. I gave them R12 so the AC will blow cold. Merak went to another shop. Radiator sprung a leak.