1975 Maserati Merak (CM) Project | FerrariChat

1975 Maserati Merak (CM) Project

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TuneRS Motorsports, Jul 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TuneRS Motorsports

BANNED

Jul 7, 2015
    Coral Springs, Flori
    #1 TuneRS Motorsports, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey everyone! Just thought we would share with you a 1975 Merak "barn find" we got through our shop that we have just begun to strip down. It sat inside a collapsed garage for about 10 years and was just recently pulled out of the previous owners house and brought to us. Unfortunately it is in a condition that requires it to be redone completely, but the great thing is it is a complete all original car! That being said, we plan to bring it back to life and would like to share the process so far:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    OP: Account banned due to commercial username by a non-sponsor. Please contact [email protected] to either request a username change or inquire about site sponsorship.

3. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    I for one wouldn't mind following their refurbishment of this car. It's not like they were offering the car up or their services, just planning to share the experience. They may have crossed some kinda line here, I dunno------

4. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    I think they just need to change their username, as it is against the rules to have your business name your username, unless you are a sponsor.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

great first post and then whamo...banned. what a joke.

6. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    I understand that there are rules & regs in our world. Some actually would argue that that is a good thing.

However, I think here, again, a bureaucracy has gotten carried away with itself.

By changing their handle into an acronym etc. and casually inserting their shop info into one or more of the shots, they can achieve the same goal, and apparently all will be well!

Non sequitur.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #7 El Wayne, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Exactly this. As one of the perks of sponsorship, sponsors are the only ones allowed to have commercial usernames. This is not a rule for which we can simply make exceptions, or else we will be in breach of our contracts with paying sponsors.

Several times each day, new users fail to read the rules that they then agree to, register here under commercial usernames, and make their first posts. These accounts are always banned immediately and the user is sent a message telling them to contact Rob to request a username change. This is the way things have been done here for over a decade.

In addition to banning the account, we usually deny the initial post showing the commercial username. In this instance, I felt that the post would be of interest to the users, so I chose to approve it. This is the only reason why you're even seeing this thread and why you're aware of this particular ban. So, in return for bending the rules and approving the post so you guys could see this thing, I'm now getting complaints. :)

8. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Once the name change takes place the universe willl be in harmony. Peace Brothers, all is well!!!

I am digging the post! Masochism goes a long way around here. :D

Ciao,
    George

9. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Dang! I hope he comes back... I was wanting to watch this restoration..

Please come back!!

10. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    The op has a thread for this resto in the Vintage Maserati section on the ************ forum. It looks like updates and new photos are being posted over there.

11. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    Oops. Guess I can't mention other forums. Sorry.

12. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Seems a reasonable policy. But like others I would be interested in seeing the restoration progress.

13. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I checked out the "other site"

Wow they are moving fast on this car, already stripped to bare metal, the suspension parts sent of and repainted and debating on painting the car a different color (I wish they would stay with white)

If I wouldn't get in trouble I would post some pics over here.

Our shoot first ask questions later policy might keep the OP from coming back.

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You guys are doing exactly what you should be doing, going there to look at his story.
    Actions have consequences, from both perspectives.

That car is going to require a ton of effort to bring back. I'm surprised they're doing this for a LHM Merak.
    Is this going to be a $120K car when they're done?

15. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I have noticed the price gap between LHM and non LHM Meraks have been shrinking, without debating the qualities of each I guess with a car as rare as the Merak just getting your hands on a nice no stories car is hard enough.

The days are gone of the 14k Bora dashed Merak. Wish I would have bought all the ones I could find.

16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    A 75 USA Merak is probably near the bottom of the desirability list and will only be a $120K car if later Merak SS reach $175K.

- does not have the Bora style interior
    - it is not a SS (although the engine could be a SS you still cannot call it a SS)
    - Citroen brakes and headlight lift
    - complex dual coil ignition
    - has the ugly big hump on the engine lid
    - has the big USA rubber bumpers

In 1978, when the Bora and Khamsin went out of production, the Merak SS became Maserati's flagship sports car model. I find the quality and reliability levels also significantly improved. The very late Merak SS were actually nicely put together.

BTW: these guys seem to be doing a really nice job resurrecting this poor Merak.

Ivan

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Since when? I've posted forum names before...that's awfully silly IMHO.

I'll assume that's a Maser forum? I'm not privvy to what/where - can someone post the thread?

18. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    ************.com

In the Vintage section,

19. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    well I guess it blocked the URL. This is getting a bit silly.

20. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I think you are right, Ivan, that a non-SS 1975 US model ranks very low in the Merak price hierarchy.

However, in the rest of the world (given the same condition) most of the things that you mention are either not relevant or at least much less important. In fact, in the rest of the world, probably any 3.0 liter, LHM, non-SS Merak would most likely fetch more in the local market (again, given the same condition) than even the latest US SS-models - had they been attempted sold (in their original US spec) in that market; which many in fact have been (there has been a steady inflow of US cars into European markets over the last decade or so).

The LHM and Citroën connection are simply not that much of an issue elsewhere. Some even - correctly - see them as the closest to the original idea of the Merak (and the Bora and the Khamsin...)

Gabriel

21. FLY YELLOW

FLY YELLOW Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2008
    Boca Raton,FL
    Full Name:
    John Vag....
    I know the guys at TuneRS extremely well and for a long time. I stopped by their shop yesterday for them to do some work on my Dino and got a chance to see the Merak project up close..... and it is coming along fantastic.

It's a shame they were banned off the FChat board so quickly. I even spoke to them about it and they were not even upset, just slightly frustrated but not losing any sleep because they knew they were not trying to sell or solicit, only wanted to share with other enthusiasts the project. They didn't even get a warning about it, just straight to ban with a message that they could possibly change their username by contacting the admin email (which was done but now they are almost forced into a sponsorship position). He also told me they were not even sent any sponsorship information from the board, only some brief emails from an Admin stating they can't post under their current username even though it was stated from Mike that it was a personal project for him, which Taylor even said to me "yea I realized I messed up using the company name as our user but didn't think it would cause such a commotion.''

I showed them all the responses on this thread and they appreciate the feedback from everyone in regards to the project but unfortunately they cannot respond themselves!

It's a shame really because it's such a big undertaking they are doing to that car and it's quite impressive the level of detail going into it and brings a lot of interest to this board and community. They plan to keep it it's original color of white from what I was told.

Hopefully FChat will let them back on with a different user name! Thanks, John Vag....

22. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Its nice to see someone spending "what it takes" to bring a Merak back to life, I think they are doing a great job and cudos to the owner.