Monterey Auction Results Posted Here | FerrariChat

Monterey Auction Results Posted Here

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Portenos, Aug 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    If any of you know of any results please post them here.
    FGM

2. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Gooding Pebble Beach
    Estamate $950K - $1,250K

PROVENANCE
    Richard L. “Dick” Cicurel, Paris, France (acquired new in August 1956 via Garage Mirabeau)
    Officine Alferi Maserati S.p.A., Modena, Italy (repurchased from the above in January 1957)
    Francesco Tenerelli, Milan, Italy (acquired from the above in January 1957)
    Commendatore Amedeo Delle Molo, Italy (acquired from the above in April 1957)
    John H. Boyd, Glendale, California (circa 1976)
    Oliver Kuttner, Charlottesville, Virginia
    Peter Kaus, Aschafenburg, Germany (acquired from the above in September 1988)
    Evert Louwman, The Hague, Netherlands (acquired from the above in 2004)
    Current Owner (acquired from the above in December 2006)

EXHIBITED
    International Maserati Club Concours d’Elegance, Modena, Italy, July 2009 (Best of Show)
    Schloss Dyck Classic Days, Juchen, Germany, August 2010 (First in Class 5E)
    Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este, Villa Erba, Italy, May 2012 (Shown in Class E)

THIS CAR
    Maserati launched the A6G/2000 in 1954, a successor to the 1.5-liter A6G and one of the greatest postwar grand touring automobiles. Also known as the A6G/54 Gran Turismo, its triple-carbureted two-liter DOHC six delivered fierce performance and benefited from the many lessons learned in competition with its A6GCS sports racers and A6GCM Formula 2 monopostos. From 1956, several private Italian owners wrung them out on hill climbs, long-distance road races, and racing circuits. The model competed effectively through the early 1960s. Just 60 were built from 1954 through 1957, with handsome and luxurious bodies by Allemano, Frua, and Zagato.

All A6G/2000s were highly individualized in character to meet the specific demands of Maserati’s elite clientele; However, none were as specialized as this example, originally numbered 2144 and subsequently switched to 2147 by Maserati.

The history of this special AG6/2000 was compiled with the assistance of Ermanno Cozza, the historian of Maserati, and it is confirmed as the sole example to leave the factory as a rally car.

It was special-ordered new by Richard L. “Dick” Cicurel, an American businessman in Europe who was an enthusiastic sports car racer during the early 1950s. Accordingly, Cicurel demanded approximately 50 items and upgrades to his car, all carefully selected with the obvious intention of creating a car fit for serious open-road rally competition.

Among the many unique features specified from new are Marchal Fantastique recessed fog lamps, special reversing lights, a shorter rear-end ratio, larger bumpers, and an increased-capacity fuel tank with a racing-style filler cap. The interior was also specially equipped with extra instruments, a Halda Speedpilot, passenger-side map light, Becker radio, and a Jaeger-LeCoultre chronograph taken from Cicurel’s Bugatti. He also requested a special two-tone color scheme of Rosso Alfa Romeo over black, with the interior trimmed in black leather with red piping and carpets.

Extensive documentation between Cicurel, Maserati, and Carrozzeria Allemano accompanies the sale of the car and demonstrates the truly impressive scope and scale of its factory-original specifications and the clarity of Cicurel’s vision for this car. According to Ermanno Cozza, this specially-ordered A6G/2000 was among the most expensive Maserati road cars built, due to its extraordinary list of bespoke features.

After placing his order with Maserati agent Franco Cornacchia, the famed Italian racing driver, Cicurel faced several delays but eventually took delivery of the special Maserati in Paris. He raced the car in several rallies, but after it was involved in an accident, Cicurel sold the car back to Maserati after having kept it for several months. Maserati repaired the A6G/2000 and, as documented by factory paperwork, changed the chassis number from 2144 to 2147, which it bears today. The company also photographed the car, which displayed the handsome two-tone livery, for use on Maserati advertisements and brochures.

Next, two owners in Italy took turns keeping the car, and then it migrated to the US. By the end of the 1980s, this Maserati was acquired by owners in Europe: first by Peter Kaus of Germany’s Rosso Bianco collection; then by the collection of Evert Louwman of The Hague, Netherlands; and, finally, in December 2006, by the current owner, also of The Netherlands.

The current owner had the Maserati restored by well-known marque experts in Europe: Carrozzeria AutoSport (Bachelli e Villa) in Modena for bare-metal body repairs and refinishing; Officina Candini, also in Modena, for mechanical work; and Stefano Maieli of Roverbella for the interior, which included specially woven, original-specification carpets. A great effort was made to restore this unique Maserati to its original purpose-built specification as delivered to Richard Cicurel in 1956.

Post-restoration, the Maserati earned Best of Show at the July 2009 Maserati Club Concours d’Elegance and First in Class at Schloss Dyck in 2010, and it was invited to, and displayed at, the world-renowned Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este in 2012. In addition to its many fascinating features, intrinsic beauty, and engineering excellence, this spectacular automobile is accompanied at auction with an incredible dossier of historical paperwork covering its early life, including detailed correspondence between Maserati and Carrozzerria Allemano, Auto Club d’Italia papers, restoration and post-restoration images, concours entries, and its FIVA identity papers that were issued in 2012.

One of the most fascinating coachbuilt Maseratis, this singular A6G/2000 Allemano Coupe will be welcomed at a veritable multitude of top concours and classic rallies including the Mille Miglia should the new owner choose to enter.

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    This is what I have. I was not in Monterey and did not get to see the cars (although I few I know).

RM

$990,000 1968 Ghibli spyder prototype (yellow). I know this car well. It will need a restoration but this is a very significant car that should have sold for much more.

$341,000 1972 Ghibli SS coupe #2492

No sale 1962 Vignale spyder Estimate was $750K - $900K. Another car I know well. I am not surprise it did not sell.

Gooding

$198,000 1967 Ghibli coupe

$374,000 1972 Ghibli SS coupe #2112. black/black wire wheels. I've owned this car several times. A very good driver quality car which runs great.

Bonhams

$242,000 1971 Ghibli SS coupe (Euro). Seems like this was a good buy.

$176,000 1973 Bora

$286,000 Ghibli SS coupe #2490 automatic

$126,000 1967 Mexico

$143,000 1967 Mistral coupe 4.0 liter

Ivan

4. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Does anyone know what the Vignale Spy bid up to, and what is it about this car that kept the price down?
    FGM

5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Frank: The 3500 Vignale Spider at RM was a No Sale at $690,000 bid.

6. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    Frank, there were two Vignale spyders at the auctions.
    The red one at RM which was bid up to $695K with a low estimate of $750K. I didn't see this one but I've been told that it was not that nice. Paint issues,carpets,no documentation, etc.
    The other one, dark green at Gooding was very nice and well documented. It was estimated to be in the $850K-$1M range. It was a no sale at $750K.
    I guess the 3500 spyder buyers were not at Monterey this year.
    On the other hand, a so-called Mistral 'barn find' at Bonhams that hasn't been run since 1985 and needs everything, sold for $143K with a high estimate of $80K.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22792/lot/88/

Why were you a 'no show' at Concorso?
    Larry

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    After a close look at the red Spyder I'm thinking the bumpers are wrong and the interior has been done incorrectly. Check out the door panels, no map pockets and no chrome trim.
    Also check out the arm rest on the doors and no doubt the leather was improper and not period correct. Steering wheel incorrect and it goes on and on.
    Now I can see why someone would factor in the work to be done when bidding.

It remains very difficult to get these cars "right" and along with that comes, the expense.

As a side note I just imported from Italy 5 hides of beautiful period correct leather for 101.2818 along with the special 4.5mil beading and the difficult to find period correct textile cloth used to line the map pockets in the door panels and seat backs. Most restorers fail to line the map pockets and it is a pity to see how they go down to the 10 yard line, and simply roll over.

The price bid for this Vignale is most likely market correct, perhaps IMHO a little too much.
    Ciao,
    FGM

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    That red Vignale spyder belonged for many years to a friend in Atlanta. The car was missing many parts and during the restoration he fitted whatever he could make work. You have to remember that these cars were not worth much back then. As you noted, the bumpers are wrong, so are the gauges, interior trims, rocker trims, license plate lights, steering wheel, converted to Webers ...... the list goes on and on. Twice I've had the opportunity to privately buy it and both times I have walked away.

Ivan

9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    If I'm not mistaken this was an automatic converted to 5 speed.

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's interesting to note how there's suddenly such a strive for utter perfection in the choice in materials etc when many of these cars have been worked on and sold by the those same folks over the years ...

IMHO I it think it's all gotten a bit silly but that's how it's going now.

I was asked to help judge for Lamborghini at Concourso and NONE of the cars I looked at were anywhere close to meeting such stringent standards. There were of course a couple of freshly restored cars but I didn't judge those. The ones I looked at were actually used by their owners. One was even at Pebble a year or two ago. That one didn't receive first place.
    I'm not sure what the circumstances were for it's appearance their but is wasn't completely original or in spectacular condition.

It's just nice to see "normal" cars that actually get used still appearing and competing. My wife and I even rode in one of them the day before for over an hour going up and down a very long and winding steep road on our way to lunch.

Cars that actually work! Who knew? :)

11. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I think you need to resign yourself to the fact that there are a couple categories of cars -maybe more - those being cars that are driven and used and repaired without the strict attention to the details of originality.
    I find this category perfectly fine and can even accept their modifications to a point. For me, I draw the line at modifications that can be extremely difficult to return to original. For example the use of a non original power brake booster can be easily changed back to the original one.

Power window switches can be easily returned to original unless the leather on the door panel has been altered requiring a new door panel which morphs into a complete interior redo. Yikes!!
    However the owner of the car can do what ever he wants, after all "it is his car."

The second category is the car and the owner who strive to have a very correct car.
    We all know what this means.

The rub comes when it is time to sell.
    If you expect to receive top dollar, (in the case of the red Vignale) the buyer should expect to receive a car that is "correct" otherwise the seller should be prepared to offer a discount which would be proportionate to the cost to return the car to original.
    For example a great 3500 with a Chevrolet small block installed and in your example a "Car that actually worked!" Would take a discount of approximately what it would cost to refit an original type engine over the "correct" comparable condition car.

Anyway I am sure you get the point, you just prefer cars that are normal drivers that work and I am guessing all that attention to the details are just not that important to you, which is perfectly ok with me. :)

As for me, I like them correct, AND working well, but NOT trailer queens.
    Remember I drove my totally original Mitchell L Mitchell 3500GT 1,000 miles on the NW rally a couple years ago with no hit, runs, or errors.
    When 101.916 is finished with its new racing engine I plan to rally it, and use it.

Ciao,
    FGM

12. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    Did anyone see the Mistral Coupe? Given the current aking prices in Europe and auction results from earlier this year, the 143k sold price seems low to me. Was it a project?

13. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008

I already posted that it hadn't been run since 1985 and needed everything. Otherwise,it was a very nice Mistral. Bonham's high estimate was only $80K and it sold for $143K. Here is the listing:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22792/lot/88/

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Nice to see you and wife. I stayed through Sat. Night. Saw all the cars. I sure hope we will be sround next year. Long trip for me.

15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm a realist Frank.

For the most part the cars we see don't qualify as uber original. Frankly, no pun intended, if you want them to run well and look good for any extended period of time then you do have to deviate from factory original. I would like a bit more consideration for those who seek to drive them in that manner. They're not all idiots or dolts. I happen to believe that they're the biggest enthusiasts. Without enthusiasm what's left?

I wish I could honestly say the same of some uber collector types.

Sometimes it is just all about the money and hype. :)

16. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    OK 3 cheers for the biggest enthusiasts, with the most enthusiasm.

In the case of the red Vignale Spyder I have to agree with your last sentence, in that it looks to be about the "money and hype."
    Just not enough hype, to get enough $$$. :)
    FGM

17. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Both Vignale Spyder were poorly restored , the red more unrestored, and both would need to be restored again to be concours. The green car cannot be fixed the body has some permanent flaws on gaps and alignments although color combo attractive from 10 feet!
    So people did their due diligence. I had made notes when I saw the cars that those cars may not sell. And I don't think high bids were genuine. Owners will have to bite the bullet if they want to sell.
    And people notice superlative restored cars, yes I noticed the blue GTE was very nicely restored ,,not sure though it makes it an 800k car...but in our time of instant gratification people are paying premium for superb restoration immediately available. But not for a so so car.