Mexico tank sender units | FerrariChat

Mexico tank sender units

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Nov 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hello fellow Maserati people,

i am making more and more progress with the Mexico restoration, right now the fuel system is in the making. After the painful process of poking a new fuel line through the right hand sill i am now ready to work my way through the trunk area. I have a couple of Mexico fuel tanks at my disposal (roughly 6), but i have not a single tank sender unit. Does somebody know where i can get a pair of matching or similar/adaptable new sender units for these (dual gas tanks)? I checked out the usual supects (MIE, Maseratisource etc.) to no avail.....

Greetings lbird

2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird...

This one could be tough!!! As you probably know, the QP1 and the Mexico were very
    similar underneath the body. However somethings were very different. I am not sure
    about the tank sending units... From what I read, when you got your car, there were
    no sending units with it, is that correct? Take a look at post #80 in my Ghibli 1928 restoration thread. You will see some pictures of my QP1 tanks and glimpses of the
    sending units that came with it.

What I found was that the Ghibli sending units use about 6 small screws that hold
    the sending units in the tank. Additionally, there is a filter which is housed in the tank.
    As you can see from the QP1 sending units in post #80, there are no screw holes.
    The QP1 tanks use a sending unit that basically goes on and a retaining ring is set on
    top and turned to hold them in place.. Additionally, the QP1 uses an external filter
    between the tank and the pump (again see picture and read the post)...

So the question becomes which of these does your Mexico use? Look at your tanks and
    see if they have screw holes or not.. If you have some of both, I would recommend you
    see which ones fit your car best. This may help determine what you need for sending
    units! Your Mexico is a later model than mine.. If you need me to see what is in mine,
    I can perhaps see what type of sending unit mine uses by removing one of the panels
    and seeing if it's screwed in or has a retaining ring. Also I recommend you check with Paul
    from the Pistonheads site. His is a later Mexico as well I think...

Hope this helps...

Mike

3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi lbird...

I am going to throw this one out there as well.. On one of the QPIII threads, NickyPP (I
    think) was able to make a QPIII sending unit out of a Fiat sending unit, as the QPIII ones were
    very hard to find, if even available at all.. This may be what you will need to do.. I'm
    not sure which QPIII thread it was, but you should be able to find it.. I thought it was rather
    cool what he had done... This is a possibility if your tanks use the screws to hold the
    sending units in place.. I will be considering this for my Ghibli as well, if the original
    ones cannot be restored...

Mike

4. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hello Mike, that is very valuable information. I will check my tank units to look for the screwed on sender units, because i think it will be easier to work with them if i need to find some replacement. But first i have to examine all my fuel tanks. Will post my findings here...

CU lbird

5. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
  6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #6 thecarnut, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The sending units come in two flavors ... screw on and those which are held with a locking plate. A quick look at your tanks will indicate which type you need. The other consideration is the type of gauges ... Veglia or Smith.

This is a Mistral fuel level sending unit for a car with Smith gauges. This sending unit has a Smith part number.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Mike (Mexico074) has guided me to your thread. I've just finished recommissioning Mexico AM 112-462 and as part of the process managed to buy a new-old stock sender.

I therefore have a perfectly usable spare fuel sender unit available FOC if you are still looking for one and if it helps get yours on the road.

Send me a message with a suitable postal address and I'll happily send it on.

Paul

8. ch2056

ch2056 Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    For my 3500 GT I took the unit of a triumph TR6. Maybe maserati still used these at the time of the mexico.

9. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hello Paul,

thank you for your generous offer. Please hold onto your sender unit, i may get back to you when i can not get my stuff working properly. Isn't the Maserati fraternity wonderful? :)
    CU lbird