Part source? Bora front sway bar bushings. | FerrariChat

Part source? Bora front sway bar bushings.

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 71Satisfaction, Jan 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Hi Maseristi,

I'm rebushing the front sway bar and linkages on my Bora. MIE has (4) of the (6) bushing parts required for the job. The (2) I am trying to find are part numbers 9 and 10 on Table 17 of the Bora parts book.
    - Number 9 is the main rubber bushing at the sway bar tube.
    - Number 10 is the steel cover for it.

Does anyone know where to source, or a parts interchange number for these? I am paging thru Steele Rubber Company's catalog as I type.

Thank you,
    - Art

2. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    While you are in there look at the upper aluminum a arms. THey tend to crack at the ball joint and the bushings at the rear. THe ball joint crack can be seen when you take the wheel off. The one in the back you will need a small mirror to inspect them

3. lussoman

lussoman Karting

Sep 7, 2008
    Try Jacques at Maserati Source

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks Eogor, don't ask me how I know... I replaced ball joints and bushings on both fronts a couple years ago and had to buy a new A-arm from MIE for that reason.

BTW - the sway bar's aluminum arms are susceptible to the same weakness.

Lusso, I'll talk to him today. Closest match so far from Steele Rubber Company is a 1940 Packard upper control arm bushing. LOL.
    - Art

5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I phone tagged with Jacques and while he has no such part in stock, he recommended and I have ordered a set of 24mm ID polygraphite bushings for a Porsche 911 front torsion suspension. The shape is right, but the OD is the unknown.
    Either way, I'll share the results after the parts arrive.
    - Art

6. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #6 71Satisfaction, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For future reference,
    The bushing kit for a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo 24mm torsion bar suspension in polyurethane fits perfectly - after you cut off the unnecessary flared end. $26 online w/$3 shipping.
    Cheers,
    - Art
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Villard

Villard Rookie

Nov 19, 2013
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    VILLARD
    Hi All,

Hi Art, you can also use plaster and tape to make a female mold of the old bushing.
    you can also make a makeshift masterbuck with some piece of plastic tube and plastiline.

then wax the plaster "female" mold and pour some polyurethane resin sold for a few bucks in any DIY (bonding system for windwscreen or marine hatch sealant) or composites shop.
    Little bit homemade than sourcing equivalent part : but could be quicker, much cheaper an not so complicated to do
    Hardness of polyurethan sealant / bonding system quite equivalent of the original rubber but much more durable.

Cheers,