GranTurismo S - Clutch or Auto? | FerrariChat

GranTurismo S - Clutch or Auto?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Geflackt, Jan 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Geflackt

Geflackt Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    Eastern PA.
    First, what's the opinion on the GT-S F1 vs Automatic?
    One of the cars I'm looking at is the '09 GT-S. I do like the idea of the F1 box, but as I look at cars, I'm finding most have clutch wear already at ~50%. Is there a positive or negative with going with a torque converter automatic over a clutch with these cars?

Second, what _would_ be acceptable clutch wear?
    Is 50% OK? I would be putting 8k miles per year on the car as a mostly-DD throughout the good weather months here in PA.

I'm also looking at the Aston V8V's and DB9's, so there are a range of cars still to check out. It's time to move on from a Boxster S.

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I've got one of the few 09 GT-S with the F1, and for me, it was the only option worth considering. The driving experience with the 4.7 is perfectly suited to match the 599 F1. The automatic didn't provide the same feeling. Turning the MC SHIFT mode on completely transforms the charistics of the car.

Like most things, these enhancements come at a price. MC Shift cars typically sell for a premium, and clutch maintenance certainly adds to the overall ownership costs. I think you'll find that even with 50% clutch life, you still have a few years left before a change is needed.

Another benefit vs the AM V8 and DB9 is the very usable back seat of the GT. I've got two booster seats in the back of mine for the kids. :)

3. Bludiablordstr

Bludiablordstr Karting

Sep 15, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #3 Bludiablordstr, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The '09 GT-S with the F-1 transmission is a BLAST! Perfect alternative to taking a Lambo out, more of a private "event" rather than a social event. The sound (incredible!!) and performance! Clutch--?? When it needs a new one it will get it, it is that much fun, totally love the car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #4 raider1968, Feb 2, 2016
  5. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #5 raider1968, Feb 2, 2016
  6. stuckinkuwait

stuckinkuwait Formula Junior

Jul 25, 2004
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Lenny S
    is he using the two bucket method to wash your car?? :)

7. Geflackt

Geflackt Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    Eastern PA.
    Or "knock the dirt off by tapping on the driveway"....

8. Bludiablordstr

Bludiablordstr Karting

Sep 15, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Next question, I still want an '05 Anniv spyder in blue, after the '09 GT S , will it let me down

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    What are owner's answers on the question of clutch wear with the GT?

I have a GS. 56,000 miles now. I bought at 24,000. I think the clutch is original. Last measured it was 34 percent worn. Great car. GT is obviously newer (and bigger).

Philip

10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    No, have a pressure washer built into garage - use that first on the cars, then wash and then rinse with pressure washer