Access to filler plug gearbox 3500GT ? | FerrariChat

Access to filler plug gearbox 3500GT ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lavaux, Apr 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    I would like to change the oil in the ZF S5-20 Gearbox. How do I get access to the filler plug? I understand that it is at the left side. Do I need to remove the tunnel?
    Wilfried

2. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Mine is on the forward, right side. I was able to attach a rubber hose to the end of a long ATF funnel, and fill it from under the hood.
    RF.

3. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    On my 3500 Vignale Spyder I need to remove the tunnel to access the filler plug. I am sure most 3500's had the S5/17 or early cars had the S4. Are you sure you have a S5/20? That gearbox was usually used in later Sebrings Mistrals and early Indys

4. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    Hi eogorman,
    No, I am not sure it is S5-20. The car is from 1961, has disks front and 5 speed.
    Is removing the tunnel a big job?
    Wilfried

5. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    Redfred,
    After asking Eogorman how difficult it is to remove the tunnel, I had a look in the picture parts list. According to the picture parts list for the 5 speed box, the fillerplug is on the right side, as on your car, just after the bell housing.
    Thanks for your help!
    Wilfried

6. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Removing the tunnel would give you a great view to inspect everything, and school one on how everything is arranged. Tunnel removal is pretty straight forward; remove BOTH front seats (by sliding the seat all the way forward to access the rear mounting bolts in the rails, then by sliding the seat all the way back to expose the front bolts). There is an array of screws that afix the tunnel to the floor pan. I think you need to remove the shift knob also.
    Be prepared for a filthy, dripping, gooey mess from under the tunnel though, and be careful not to soil the rest of your interior when removing the big awkward tunnel. Take care in not damaging the ash trays during tunnel handling & storage.
    RF.

7. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    Thank you Redfred!
    I have just now been looking through many restoration pictures, hoping to see the plug.
    It's funny, most pictures of the gearbox are taken from the left side, so no sight of the plug. Some pictures show a round carpet cover, obviously where the plug sits underneath. But on my car there is no such round cover.....
    Wilfried

8. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    I have found the plug on the right side. Was able to remove it with some difficulties. The old oil was rather dark and had some shiny bronce-color reflections. Replenishing was not too difficult with a 0.5L seringe and a 1m long tube.
    Thanks for your help!
    Wilfried