New Production Michelin XWX | FerrariChat

New Production Michelin XWX

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 2NA, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I'm looking for recent experience with the re-production Michelin XWX tires that Coker sells. I was warned off by my local tire shop guy that has heard of quality issues with them. I need tires for a client's Ghibli that not only look good but can be driven on as well. Not much for sale anymore in that size (215/70R 15). I'd prefer not to buy minivan tires. :)

2. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    I have heard similar concerns about XWX's and that they are very low cost tyres to produce but with a high mark up to the end user.
    I have spoken to the Blockley tyre company and the owner wanted the best tyres to race with, so he started marking tyres for himself and selling them to make it more cost effective- hence they are good quality tyres with a really nice tread pattern and the correct look. The size I need for my Maserati are due to be released shortly.
    Blockley Tyre - Vintage and Classic Car Tyres

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#3 dm_n_stuff, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    I had their XWX on my Dino years ago, and had ZERO issues with them. Can check with UroTrash to see how they held up, and what he's replaced them with.

I would think most modern compound tires would be superior to what was available, "Back in the day."

Don't their tires come with a warranty?

D

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#4 dm_n_stuff, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Otherwise you're stuck with BF Goodrich Radial T/A I think.

Which from a tread pattern POV, isn't a bad match for the XWX, maybe a little more modern looking, but I bet the T/A is speed rated as high or higher than the original rubber on the car was. Can you mount them white walls in?

D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    Yes, you can mount them with the white letters inboard. There are lots of QPIIIS out there with that set-up. There is still the big "Radial TA" on the back in all black, so you won't get that really plain sidewall that the XWX has. IIRC, the speed rating is slightly lower than the XWX, but is still safe for any speed you would probably reach in a Ghibli.

6. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Coker does not manufacture the tires, Michelin does. Coker owns the distribution rights in the US. Like any commodity, Coker places a large order when their supply gets low.

7. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Tire Rack shows 33 tires in 215/70-15 and 13 in 225/70-15 (QPIII). None of them, including the T/As, are performance tires. The highest speed rating is T, 118mph.

Avon makes the CR6ZZ in the 215/70-15 size. It's a DOT marked track day tire rated at 150mph, but it isn't cheap at $360. One Daytona owner claimed 8-10k miles, though maybe age would take them before mileage on these cars.

The Blockley plan to make this size sounds interesting. Their pre-war tires are DOT rated to 130mph (H).

8. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I have four cars that these tires are used on, I drive them all and have never had any problem. I think they look period correct and the cars perform as if they were designed for them. They are expensive, on the other hand they are available and probably wouldn't be if Coker charged less.Malcolm

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    longstone tires

10. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    The XWX was the first very high performance tire Michelin made and it was safe at 186 mph despite having a "V" rating. I seriously doubt that Michelin would put their name on anything that is unsafe and I bet that the modern manufactured XWX tire is still safe up to 186 even with the "V" rating which is good for 149 mph sustained. The only problem is that they are very expensive due to the fact that they are made infrequently and only when there is sufficient demand for Michelin to make them and they are done as a sop to the vintage community which used them including the Ferrari Daytona.

11. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'm running a fresh set on my 75 Gt4 Dino- Certainly they look and perform period-correct. But, if you're used to modern rubber on your car you are in for a bit of a surprise- quite a bit "greasier" on the fast twisties than modern stuff.

But not in a bad way.

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When I had them on my Bora, a very long time ago, they he rode very hard and when pushes would break loose rather suddenly WO warning. That was the rap of them back then. I quickly moved on to more modern tires like gatorbacks and XGTs, never looked back.
    A friend of mine ran the Silver State race with me. We had both just purchased Q45s and he was looking for a slightly larger diameter tire to gain some top end. Plus he wanted great straight line stability. As Eliot says the tire was safe for way more than the current meaning of a V rating. Back then that was the highest there was. Actual speed limitations were determined by the vehicle & tire manufacturer jointly in the case of extreme high performance cars like a Testarossa. My friend contacted Michelin engineers and was given assurances that it was good for 200mph. That's what I was told anyway. Well he also, unbeknownst to me, got the speed limiter (161 mph) turned off in his car by an outfit called Wolf Performance or Engineering? Sneaky SOB :D Even so he took a long time getting it up to about 167 mph and I, running stock, still averaged 147 mph which was one more MPH than him! Younger and bigger balls I suppose ... :D

He liked the performance of the tires for that run.

I do wonder if the current version of the tire is any better in the turns?

I also remember that back in the day there was an extra $15 mounting charge for XWXs because they were so GD stiff that it made them a real job to mount.

Most of the cars that get these tires now won't experience conditions anything like that. How many go over 100 mph for much more than a short burst? It's impossible where I live unless you're completely crazy and want a whole lot of trouble.

In the USA there are no safety czars that require you to have the proper speed rating so IMHO it's a cosmetic and authenticity thing. Quite pricey too. Too bad about the P4000 tires discontinuation ... :(

13. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Have a look at Vredestein.
    Their classic range comes with the correct speed-ratings and correct period look, they perform well and are priced well too.

Unfortunately I'm having a hard time making contact with their rep in South Africa, but you may find better service where you are.

Best,

Jack

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm not currently in the market for tires but I looked into these a couple years ago for a friend and my local uber tire shop can get them. They look promising. I'd like to hear reports from people who've used them on our 70's Maseratis. Clearly if your car is a concours candidate then the XWXs are the tire of choice.

I wish Michelin would bring back the XGTs and those sizes ...

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The specific problem I've heard is that they are sometimes out of round. Has anyone experienced this?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You could always shave them a bit if it's not excessive but still ... at those prices WTF. I haven't heard that.

17. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    I put XWXs on my 1967 Ghibli about four years ago and have had no issues with these tires. I've done two brisk backroad rallys with these tires and did not notice any problems and they did not let me down. I remember seeing these tires advertised back in the 1970s and thought they just looked so darned cool, along with the tread pattern on Pirelli P7s and CN36s. They don't make 'em like they used to! Oh wait, they actually do!

18. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    I used and use them on various classic sportcars (Ghibli, Jarama, Espada, Montreal) and never had any issue. Renewal typically was due to age and not thread, although I move my cars quite a lot and sometimes quite spirited also.

They are expensive, but I really like their looks on classic sportscars. And they can be used with tubes, whereas some other makes do not allow this. Finally, they are obtainable most time without being "preaged" :D, i.e. with a production date just a few months ago.

Cheers, Bernhard

P.S.: A real problem used to be the 16´´ tires for the Sebring, this may be different nowadays.