maserati granturismo as a daily driver? | FerrariChat

maserati granturismo as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ross, May 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anybody do that? looking at an automatic s. seems like a good choice.

2. Exotic Lambo

Exotic Lambo Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2011
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Gianca
    I daily drove a QP S-GT with the F1 for 3 years; I'm working on 09 GT-S and I'll be driving it everyday but I don't drive that much.
    Automatica should be even easier on traffic.

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Don't drive it every day, but do drive it multiple times per week for work, errands, etc. Absolutely wonderful car, and has been bulletproof so far. It is a 2014.

4. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Ross, I just bought a 2015 new Granturismo, it will be my daily driver, so far it seems perfect.
    Our 2009 QP with 60,000 miles has been no trouble except for the variators which were repaired long ago.
    These are great cars, buy now before they are gone forever.
    Malcolm

5. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I have narrowed it down to the Granturismo S. The others have the same engine and more less the same specs with added boy racer bling that I don't need. On the used front I have identified a couple 2009 and 2010's around here that don't have too many miles and are in decent shape and priced accordingly, around 50k. But at the urging of Malcolm, I investigated the MY 2015 opportunities. Indeed there are a number of interesting options. I do not want to buy at 150k, since the new model will come out and accelerate the already epic depreciation. However, the leasing opportunity is quite attractive, and would come to about 1250/month.
    Since I would prefer not to spend the cash up front right now, this seems like a good deal.

What are the pros and cons I am not seeing?

6. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Get the 2009 f1 - you will love it - no problems of 8 years - none

7. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I use mine Granturismo Sport (04/2014, automatic) as daily driver during all seasons, I have driven 75'000km in two years.
    I can highly recommend this car as a daily driver; very comfortable seats, extremely reliable, the technical components and the body work testifying high quality, the car behaves very well also in snow (very good weight distribution), yes, I had never more fun in a daily driver (I was a big BMW fan...).

Navi-system is simple but reliable, sound system is excellent although not necessary with this fantastic engine sound.

Weak points; sometimes a have to park the car "a few hundred meters away from (new) customers"... ;)

Yes, I love the Grantursimo, in the meantime I love Maserati.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/maserati/516080-most-beautiful-maserati.html

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    my now 80 yo partner has had 4 of these over the last 12 yrs or so. all his daily driver

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    our GranSport was daily driver 3 years.

10. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Ross-
    I'm DD my 2012 GT MC. Bought it 5 months ago.... over 5K miles driven.
    So far, so good.
    Its really long. Parking is somewhat problematic. Easy to scrape the front end- long and low.
    Wish it had a back up camera (it has sensors)
    Has some really cheap interior parts - typical Ferrari sticky stuff. The interface feels 10 years old.

Step on the gas.... ohhhhh yeah!
    she's a beautiful machine, makes great sounds
    not that I care.... but I get tons of compliments, lots of folks checking it out in parking lots... its a very well received car.
    has 100% usable 2 back seats. We've gone to dinner with another couple, wives in the back... no problems... well, the dismount in a miniskirt is fun to watch!

my plan was to drive it 1 year.... we'll see. May be longer. Everything else I want does not have the back seats, so it really is reasonably "practical" at the moment. If I don't have any major problems (fingers crossed), I'll keep it longer.

let me know if you have any other questions!

if you can, find a used MC... more sporty, better (IMO) rear end, carbon fiber bits. Sport mode sounds f-ing great!

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    What about the new Ghibli? Any ownership experiences?

12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    what kind of value will these hold.
    i fear they drop like rocks.
    where is the bottom?
    are there any with upside?

13. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Most used cars have reached their "bottoms", always in relation to their age an the driven km's.

Not upside but maybe a little bit more price stable the centennial editions (which are still as new cars available)

Upside: hmmmm, if then maybe a well maintened 2012 MC Stradale (460hp engine, without rear bench and with roll bar...), but this model is again the least suitable daily driver.

14. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    Used Maseratis are ideal daily drivers; you get a luxury car at a low purchase price. For what they are they are reliable and comfortable. But like any daily driver you drive them until major failure and then throw it away. Collectible cars with high prices either have very low mileage or have had a fortune spent on their restoration. If you drive it you won't be able to do the former but you can always do the later and get back about 2/3 of your cost.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they seem to drop early on and then stabilize. we bought our 2005 GranSport with 8k miles and warranty in 2008 for $58k. what could we sell it for now with 50k miles 8 years later? that's not a bunch of depreciation for us, just the first owner as list $120k.

16. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Trade in in 2009 was $40,000 for the non grand sport but for the stick shift spyder - traded mine on a 2009 then - I think list was about $100,000

17. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

The carbon fiber bits seem way out of place on this car, but I bet the MC is a sexy beast of a driver.

18. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

It's competent. But not special in any way. Had one twice as a loaner for two weeks.