Mexico wipers starting on their own! | FerrariChat

Mexico wipers starting on their own!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by The Surveyor, May 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Hi guys.

Has anybody ever had their wipers start on their own, and can anybody give me some tips on where to start checking.

My Mexico was parked quite happily for a few hours at a show today near Newcastle. Nice sunny day, warm but not hot (for northern England!) and the wipers just started running at high-speed for no reason. Nobody had been in the car and the door was still locked when I got back to it. They wouldn't switch off so I had to pull the fuse to stop them.

Any thoughts?

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If the wipers are at all manipulated via the stalk look there.

3. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    They're controlled off the dash switch as well as the foot operated screen-wash pump. I put the fuse back in tonight and the wipers didn't self-operate so whatever was shorting out before isn't anymore.

It's going to be one of those annoying little things I think.....

4. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Paul...

I'm thinking maybe a ground issue...

Mike

5. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Ivan Ruiz has a pdf file covering schematics for Maseratis 1964-1968. <http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Electrical_diagrams_1964_1968.pdf>. There are lots of variants shown, but based on your description and the Mexico manual, schema 31 on page 34 of the pdf is probably the right one for your car. There might be a couple of other possibilities: the washer pump switch, or the internal motor contacts that keep the motor running outside the park position so that the wipers park regardless of when the switch is turned off. Good luck - intermittent problems are the hardest to find.

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Paul,

While you sort it out make sure to remove the fuse when not using the car. The last thing you want is for the wipers to start by themselves in the middle of the night.

Something else to consider is to move the wiper motor to a switched circuit. This way they would only work when the ignition is switched on.

Ivan

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's a good one to look at if these wipers work that way.

8. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #8 The Surveyor, May 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the tips and guides guys.

This going to bring forward the investigations as to why the wipers wouldn't self-park. May be related but in the meantime, the fuse will certainly stay out.

Cheers, and here it is before the wipers went nuts....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Otto Paulsen

Otto Paulsen Karting

Dec 9, 2009
    Europe
    It might not be the evil overlord himself who haunts your wipers. Maybe just a demon he sent by the name of Vitaloni. Be sure to wear a solid protective necklace woven of Bosch relays around your neck when you try to exorcise your wipers. And then some (the Biturbo elder) say that Bosch relays bear the seed of evil aswell...
    Your wipers are doomed. Keep out of the rain by all means!

PS: Nice car. Mine has the same colour. Sorry for not being of any help and just cracking jokes.

10. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    It is still a very beautiful car, even when the wipers go bonkers - nice picture!

11. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #11 The Surveyor, May 24, 2016
    Cheers, it was such a lovely day and the Mexico looked great in the sunshine parked up neatly behind the line of Blackpools finest.

12. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #12 The Surveyor, May 24, 2016
  13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What is that blue car ahead of yours?

14. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
  15. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #15 The Surveyor, May 24, 2016
    Yes, TVR T350c. Lovely little coupe with a 350bhp 3.6litre Speed 6 engine. Like a 'lite' version of the Sagaris.

How and he's another gratuitous picture of the Mexico in the sunshine

16. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Great looking car that Mexico!

17. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    #17 OFFtrack, May 26, 2016
  18. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #18 Mexico074, May 26, 2016
    Hi Dirk / Paul...

I noticed that as well, and was going to ask... Attached is a picture
    of my car, which is not the best picture, but you can see the chrome
    around my headlights...

Mike

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Paul...

Any luck on your wiper issue?

I gave some more thought to this and wanted to check with the experts here, as I
    certainly am no vintage Maserati electrics expert! When I read about Paul's wiper issue,
    my first thought was grounding. I mentioned this as the wiper circuit would have to be
    complete somehow for the wiper motor to do its thing. I could see this happening if the
    wiper switch itself completes the circuit by grounding it. If that were the case and somehow
    the wiper motor was able to get to ground, the motor would turn. But my quick theory produces questions: 1. Does the wiper switch ground the circuit or provide the voltage to the motor? 2. Is the wiper circuit switched, or supposed to be switched, meaning the key has to be on, before the wiper motor can be run? 3. What about the different speeds of the wiper, how could this be done if the switch grounds the circuit?

I am hoping someone can provide some input into this. I may be all screwed up on this.
    But under my scenario, I could see how the wipers could potentially come on by themselves!
    What have I got wrong and/or what am I missing?

Mike

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #20 thecarnut, May 26, 2016
    This is a look at how a typical Lucas wiper motor works. This example is for a single speed but the concept is the same.

The wiper motor has 12 volts going to it. Maserati most likely put the wiper motor on an un-switched circuit, which I don't think is the best way to do it as it leaves you exposed in case of a failure.

The dash switch grounds one of the brushes which makes the motor run. In addition there is a parking switch connected to that same brush. During most of the gear rotation the switch will be closed thereby also grounding the motor. If the dash switch is turned off (as in this image) the motor will continue to run (since the parking switch is grounding the brush) until the gear reaches the point where the parking switch opens and the circuit is broken.

Although possible I doubt the dash switch is at fault. I would look closely at the parking switch. It may be something as simple as old grease drying up and not permitting the switch to fully open.

Ivan

21. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Ivan.. Good information.. Sounds like I was partially in the ball park in that the switch
    grounds the circuit, and if the motor can get to ground by some other means, the motor
    could/would keep running. Agree that the culprit here is most likely the parking switch. If it can't get to it's 'off' position, the motor would keep running...

Thanks... Mike

22. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    In the 64-68 PDF, schematic 8 shows three variants grounded through the switch, and they use either a three wire or six wire motor. Schematics 28,31,35,and 43 show systems with a five wire motor grounded locally through pin 1 of the motor connector. With that clue, Paul could start with the right schematic. I thought schematic 31 made sense because it's the only one that shows both a foot pump and a non-column switch.

23. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Nothing sinister, The chrome was a little thin on the faces so just fancied trying a slightly different 'look' instead of the full chrome as original. If I decide to keep the Mexico I'll get them re-chromed over the next winter lay-up.

24. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Thanks for the suggestions on the wipers. They should be wired negatively so they will run and run until they self-park but from my basic testing, that isn't the case so there is a gremlin in there somewhere. The self park works properly (I've dismantled it and tested it all) but the wipers wouldn't self-park in operation. Checking the serial number of the actual switch it doesn't match that on the wiring diagram so that may well be the problem.

What is unclear and more than a little confusing is why they started on their own several hours after the car had been parked up and locked... Ghosts in the machine lol !

25. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Hi Paul - just a thought. If your car is wired like schematic 31, then the washer pump switch has a feedback path (orange wire) for the self-park function through a set of contacts that are closed when the pump is not in use. It also has a set of contacts that turn on the motor when the switch is closed (I assume that's when you push a pedal or something). If that switch armature is flopping around loose, it could cause both problems - no self-park, and unexpected wiper operation.