Compression test results after rebuild | FerrariChat

Compression test results after rebuild

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by hiltsuk, May 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Hi

My 4.7 ghibli engine was completely stripped, cleaned and rebuilt last year. I've now completed the running in and covered 1000 miles. We ran a compression test and 4 cylinders were around 150-160 and 4 were around 120. Not a great result and the question I have is will this get better as the engine is run in more or is it more likely that the rebuild was done badly. I haven't done a leak test but I assume this will tell me more about the issue ?

Many thanks for any advice

Mike

2. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Hi,
    Are they all low on one head and high on the other? Could be cam timing is out. I have a similar result, all around 155 one side and 140 on the other
    Julian

3. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Hi Julian

*Herr are the results

1 – 123

2 – 130

3 – 140

4 – 125

5 – 150

6 – 155

7 – 125

8 – 160

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Up next a leakdown test.

5. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Hi,
    I'm not the expert but I read on line that ideally the top and bottom values should be within 10% ideally and within 15% max. So yours look a bit off at the moment. Hopefully the others here can help a bit more than me

Julian

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Try doing a wet compression test by squirting some oil down the cylinder just before testing each cylinder. Some increase in the numbers is to be expected. A very large increase would indicate faulty rings. A small increase would point to the valves. Perhaps the valve clearances are too tight.

Ivan

7. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Thanks will do this next