Import to the USA? | FerrariChat

Import to the USA?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hope this isn't too off topic.

Say I want to sell my Maserati to a US buyer, or move to the US and bring the car with me.

What are the rules and fees involved, and where can I find out more? Is it dependent upon state, or federal regulations, or both?

Thanks!

2. Exotic Lambo

Exotic Lambo Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2011
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Gianca
    Where are you coming from?

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What kind of Maserati too? That's probably the most important thing here. If the car is over 25 years old, then importation is easy. Paying duties is probably the worst of the process.

If it's under 25 years old, then you're talking serious issues.......

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Actually a more important question is where in the USA is the car going.

Federal law exempts vehicles older than 25 years from having to meet EPA (emissions, etc) and DOT (crash test, etc) requirements.

Some states (like Georgia) are "old car friendly" and do not impose any additional requirements. In Georgia you can register a 25 year old car that was imported and nothing has to change ... it can retain its euro stop lights and side markers. It can even retain non-seal beam headlights which would have been illegal in those years.

Other States are not so old car friendly and may make it hard or impossible to register a car even though it is older than 25 years.

Cars less than 25 years old are much more difficult to import. I would not even think of doing it unless it is something super special and you have deep pockets.

In addition to transportation costs there is a 2.5% import duty.

There is additional information at:
    Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--All Vehicles

Ivan

5. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Well right now I'm thinking of my 1980 QP3 - purchased through Ivan who brokered the deal. It's 36 years old, and was originally sold in the US, but it's been "Euro-ized" since coming back here :). I'm almost done restoring it, just a few details on the interior left to do.

I'm considering a move to the US, but am not yet sure to what state. Most likely it will be either California (LA), New York (NY), Pennsylvania (Philly), Georgia (ATL) or Washington D.C., depending on the contract/employer. It's still too early to say, but I wanted to check.

In addition to the QP3, I was considering picking up a BiTurbo spider at some point and possibly bringing it along, either a series 2 or 3 (1989 and later). As far as I recall, those were never available for sale in the USA, only the first series was sold there before Maserati pulled out of the US market.

I suppose it would be a lot simpler to find a more modern QP or GranTourismo as a DD in the US, rather than trying to import a Biturbo. And it looks like the age of the QP3 should allow it to go through without undue issue.

What about smog in CA, is it old enough to be exempt? I put cats back on it, but they're not original (as I recall, that matters there).

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    25 years or older is easy. True the "problems" are states that do emission testing and safety inspections for registration. But in general those states just look to see if safety items are functioning and don't notice if things are out of place or not at spec, etc.

7. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Ca requires smog for any car newer than 1975, and importing a car to Ca presents other problems. If you really plan to move to Ca do your homework, there are many horror stories about importing cars to CA

8. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks Eugene,

I've heard a lot of horror stories myself about bringing cars into CA, and will check thoroughly if that ends up being the place.

Right now east coast seems much more likely though.

I'm also wondering if the QP3 isn't worth a lot more on this side of the pond than in the US, it might make more sense to sell it here and find something else in the US. QP3s in the states seem to be a bit like Rodney Dangerfield, they get no respect ;-)

9. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    I have a very nice 89 Zagato Spyder you could buy when you get here....save the import costs!

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I would keep the QP3 in Europe and buy a QP V in USA. That is the best looking QP! A Nice QP IV in Europe would also be a cool car. Not many are still in top condition anymore.. Time flies fast...

11. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    If you are moving legally to the U.S. No duty on pretty much everything, including cars.

12. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi Rick,

thanks for the offer. I never quite "got" the original Zagato design, it just doesn't sit well with me compared to the series 2 and 3 cars. I'll keep in in mind though.

Time does fly fast, and it might make sense to sell the QP3 here, it's something I'm definitely considering, and I see that prices have been rising even for this particular model, although nowhere near as drastically as the cars that proceeded it.

And of course I would move legally. Wouldn't want it any other way!

I'll have to check and see how CA treats older cars as far as smog goes.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions!

13. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    FYI There is currently a law in the Ca legislature to exempt cars before 1980. But this will not help your Q Port. It also will not eliminate the problem of importing cars, right now even if it is before 1976 it still needs to pass smog and Ca safety rules. The fact that your car was originally in the US may help if it has a 50 state compliance sticker. Since the new smog rules went into effect Jan 2016 I doubt that even a brand new QPort would pass the new rules.

14. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    You could stay a year on visitor status and live in the states. As long as you don't work its legal. If its just a year, you don't need to import and register the car. You can drive on foreign registration and bond the car. Drawback, you can't sell it in the states. You must take the car out of the U.S. after the year is up. If you already have a house established and using it for vacation. They make you pay duty. Legal as in have some form of work authorization you can enter with all personnel goods duty free.

15. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    If you come to the DC area, VA should be easy to get the car into.

16. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Good to know, thanks. DC is high on my list.