Merak SS Floods Easily and Runs Too Rich At Idle | FerrariChat

Merak SS Floods Easily and Runs Too Rich At Idle

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 81merak, Jun 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 81merak

81merak Rookie

Oct 19, 2015
    #1 81merak, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Since resurrecting my 81 Merak SS from five year storage, I've pulled gas tanks and had them professionally boiled out, changed oil and filter, installed new NGK BP6ES spark plugs, measured resistance of plug wires, removed and cleaned needle and seats and idle (size 70), main (size 200) and pump jets in each of the three 44 DCNF carburetors. Also installed new fuel filter. Examined and cleaned distributor cap and rotor. Also measured cylinder compression readings (150 to 160psi across all cylinders with engine cold). Only 15k miles on the engine. And all six fuel mixture screws are set to about 1 3/4 turns out.

Since the above work, it's been a challenge to start the engine. It seems to flood easily and is definitely running too rich at idle speed. Today I was able to start it and run it long enough to measure vacuum flow across all three carburetors. They are all pretty even. But the engine won't maintain idle speed and feels as if it's running too rich at idle. It clears up a bit when I rev the engine to 2500 to 3000 rpm range, but when returning to idle speed it doesn't hold and eventually engine will die. While engine was idling I noticed that the exhaust from the left tail pipe was steadily pulsating pattern (POP..POP..POP), while the exhaust from the right tail pipe was just a steady flow. What could be causing the POP POP POP from the left side exhaust pipe?

I haven't checked engine timing yet. What should the static timing be? Assuming timing is fine, not sure of next steps to take to get the car to start easier and hold the idle. Pulling each carburetor and performing a more thorough cleaning of the entire carburetor bodies and replace gaskets and pump diaphragms seems like a good idea. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

I would be checking the fuel pressure. There may well be a Malpassi fuel pressure adjuster in the engine bay but they seem to stop doing their job when ancient. So hook up an external gauge and adjust the fuel pressure down to 2.5 or so. If your pressure is too high then the fuel may be still getting through the carb float shut off valves and causing the popping and rich running at idle. My old Merak had the same symptoms until I adjusted the fuel pressure downwards. The popping on overrun stopped and it stopped running super rich
    Julian

3. 81merak

81merak Rookie

Oct 19, 2015
    Thanks Julian. I'll check fuel pressure, but I think it's fine.

I'm wondering if I have a failing Bosch CDI box or a weak ignition coil? My car is a late US spec SS so it has a single coil. I think to test the ignition coil I just measure the resistance of the primary and secondary windings. Primary winding resistance should be around 0.4 to 0.6 ohms and secondary resistance around 650 to 790 ohms?

But not sure how to test the Bosch CDI box. Mine is a gold color. I think I should measure 12V at one of the terminals at the connector. The terminal that leads to the battery. But not sure what else to measure on it. Is it supposed to make a whistle sound with the ignition switch switched on? I hear a fairly loud squawking noise when I switch on my ignition, but I think it might be coming from the fuel pump. I'll check today if I hear any sound from the Bosch CDI box.

4. 81merak

81merak Rookie

Oct 19, 2015
    #4 81merak, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Actually Julian, the symptoms I'm experiencing definitely do sound related to a bad fuel pressure regulator. I'll make sure to check my fuel pressure. Thanks!

Did you just continue using your Malpassi or did you go with an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator?

5. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

6. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I'm trying to remember what we did with my DCNF's, but they ran far too rich at idle - dribbled excess fuel like crazy.. we just took off the air cleaner and you could watch the fuel drip into the venturi..

It had something to do with the accelerator pump diaphragm and springs.. Your post reads like you overhauled your carbs, but perforated diaphragm will let fuel by at idle, and a tired spring won't return the diaphragm to a "closed" position to prevent fuel leaking by - something like that.

That's all I've got.
    - Art

7. 81merak

81merak Rookie

Oct 19, 2015
    Thanks JulianMerak and 71Satisfaction. I'm going to check fuel pressure and my accelerator pump diaphragms and springs. I'm betting my problem is related to one or possibly both of these.

Steve

8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I had lunch with my mechanic today and mentioned the DCNF's. If you see fuel dripping from the nozzle right into the venturi, you've got a perforated diaphragm or weak diaphragm springs..

9. ferrarigöran

Jun 1, 2009
    Replace the needle valves and set the float height. Check that the acc pump diaphragms dont leak. Set the ignition timing, should be around 25 degs tdc at 2000 rpm.The pop-pop is from unburnt fuel being set off in the exhaust due to a fouled sprak plug. What you really should do is to buy the manual and set the carbs and ignition up properly, starting with the ignition.

cheers, Göran