Maserati Road Car Book | FerrariChat

Maserati Road Car Book

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by scuderia92, Jun 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scuderia92

scuderia92 Formula Junior

May 23, 2013
    Hi all,

I am looking for a book about the classic Maserati Road cars (mainly A6G-2000 to the first Ghibli). Which one would you recommend?

Thanks

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  3. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

I have this book and it is a great catalogue but not a great read or insight on the people involved in my opinion. We need a modern bible , well written on this era like Marc Sonnerys Maserati, the Citroen years for the later cars

There are a few coffee table books which I can add tomorrow but they seem a little lightweight in text

Julian

4. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    That's the proper bible:

MASERATI A complete history from 1926 to the present
    by Luigi Orsini and Franco Zagari

5. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#5 JulianMerak, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. scuderia92

scuderia92 Formula Junior

May 23, 2013
    Is it? I've heard good stories about this book.

Is the Maserati 100 book better in text than Crump's 1946-1979?

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Don't forget the Maserati book by Maurizio Tabucchi, while it is a bit wooden it is the most serious and RECENT history of the WHOLE marque (which my book is not, just 68-75).

The factory book, 100 years I have not even bothered buying, it is mediocre, dumbed down, done by Fiat, they forgot the 1990's Barchetta for example.

The Orsini Zagari book is of course a treasure and the day it arrived in my mailbox in Fort Lauderdale in the mid 1990's was a special one, it is almost 900 pages after all (I had the pleasure of meeting both authors in 2006 with Zagari at Villa d'Este relating private dealings he had with Enzo Ferrari, a special moment I must say) but it is decades old, hence obsolete in many ways and the translation to English is appallingly boring (I think the translator was in a severe depression, really) and it is nigh on impossible to read for any length of time. It would be fantastic if it were redone properly and updated in terms of text and photos:)

So I would say the Tabucchi book is the best choice, while the smaller but great effort by Martin Buckley is very much worth having, I have always been incapable of just putting the essential bits, am obsessed with putting everything there but Martin did a great synthesis.

Those collection of article booklets are a great window into the past for all Modenese marque's, read them all avidly as a teenager in the late 70's, 80's:)

As you will have noticed collecting Maserati books is a wonderful pursuit, just like the scale models whereas collecting Ferraris of either form is ridiculous as it never ends and most of it is questionable in quality.

Best regards,

Marc

8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    While we are on the subject of books but not road cars.
    What is the best technical book on the 450S series of cars?