Bora--acceptable upgrade maintenance (alternator, &c) | FerrariChat

Bora--acceptable upgrade maintenance (alternator, &c)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by highwaybora, Jun 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Things that wear out or become superceded, such as alternators, tyres, exhaust systems, etc., might be better or acceptably replaceable by more modern or higher performance bits. For when really exercising these cars on trips, public roads, etc. Of course, preferably not violating the spirit or joy of the design.

Summary of such most appreciated, especially now re alternator upgrade details, warnings, etc. My search so far not very successful.
    Thanks!

2. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I upgraded my Merak with a GM single wire alternator. Had to modify the mounting bracket just a bit but works great! I have the stock Alternator in a box if I ever sell the car.

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A lot of years ago (25+) I upgraded the OEM and weak Bosch alternator by having it custom rewound at a local alternator shop. I also swapped the standard voltage regulator for a later one utilized by Mercedes that's a more modern solid state unit. Many of us went this route back then. I didn't end up with all that much of a bump in output. Today I'd probably look into an alternator swap with an integral regulator. I did just that last year on my Biturbo using a rebuilt AC Delco unit from Pep Boys and that's been great. It's what Maserati did themselves in 1989.

No one will ever see it.

Get some measurements of the old unit first and acess on the bORA is a total PITA unless you expand that inspection door. That can be done with the engine in place. It's all hidden bt the seat and look for an MIE article by George Marin for more details. If you need more info just ask here.

I bet there have been a few modern Bosch alternator upgrades utilized as well. The Yahoo Groups Maserati chat site, dead now, probably has some info on it. Look for the George Perfect & MOCNA parts interchange lists as well. A easy to fit and higher output Bosch unit may be identified on there.

Some info. Remote sensing is ideal with a separate sensing wire all the way to the battery but it's not completely necessary. I paid like $65 for a 105 amp unit with the lifetime warranty.

Catalog

Good luck.

4. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Thanks. Catalog especially!!

5. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  6. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Further... "no one will ever see it" is a great comment... However...
    I try always to make any changes, including most upgrades, reversible. I keep all parts removed.

But I intend to and do have max driving fun. SS exhaust system now omitted the corner cans, so more throatiness. Could be added. Old rusted stuff stored. Removed original US bumper, placed original Euro trident in center. Driving lights. Better. Restorable easily with no permanent alterations nor scars. Fun.

As a real driver, this is a fantastic way to go... as I know you realize well, based on your accounts. Max details always welcome, here or offline. Yet to choose actual replacement alternator. Looking to use larger footprint rear tyres, and thought you said 255x60 with .25 spacers?

Thanks in advance for all input, more detailed the better.
    NE

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I only ran 255/60's in the BFG COMP TA R DOT track tire. That tire has a strange construction as one sidewall is very soft. It worked great on the track but on the road hard cornering combined with a bump generated a squawk from rubbing the inner sidewall.
    Otherwise I ran 245's with .25" spacers in the rear and 235's in the front. But today it's the stock sized tires that are what's available ... :(

That was a fantastic set up in Gatorbacks or XGTs. NLA

you can check some the vintage racing tire suppliers in the uK for sizes close to that.

Also, at the time the BFG tire was actually narrower than a typical 255 tire so check the manufacturer's "actual" dimension for width closely. You won't have a problem with the 245's. The 235's in the front are a little heavy to turn in parking lots but so what ...

8. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    More excellent info. Again thanks. Not a track issue, just street and touring... enthusiastically. Will get by BFG dealer for first approximation. BFG TAs front now, 215x70. Wish more 15" selection, of course.
    Will advise.a

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you're realistically not going to go over 110 mph for sustained driving then I have to wonder is these might not make a decent set of tires? I have a friend who uses tires with these sort of ratings on his Lamborghini 400GT because it saves him SOOOOOO much money and he puts a lot of miles on that car.

The sizing is perfect for great grip especially over the 215/70 tires. If you don't think you can resist bouts of 120 mph+ for any time then just don't! A full set of tires cost about what one XWX does ... :eek:

I've never tried them. I have the BFG hi performance z rated tires on another car and those are fine. Check out the reviews on these. It's a cost conscious thought.

Anyway:

BFGoodrich Radial T/A

10. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    So far, there's been no call nor real opportunity for SUSTAINED high speeds, just spurts. Top of third regularly seen but not 'sustained' for serious times. Local enforcement. Radial T/A tyres dandy, and good cornering over local canyons. Entire NOS rubber replacement undersides makes it like new. Obviously, some judgment, practice, experience, and insight required.
    Man's gotta know his limitations... and those of whatever he's 'working with'. Nyet??
    She said.

Hilariously, lately replaced ver 1 with ver 2.0 compound Hankook Vertus v12 tyres on 2001 boxster.
    Y rated! Hoot! But,alas, never to be in 15inch. Boxster is 17in. Canyons AND straights!!

Re Bora.. trying to figure best (for me, my use.. aggression, daring, stupidity, etc) size for rear tyres in the TAs, and what really fits without rubbing inner fenderwell, etc. Fronts expected to remain 215x70. As yet have no .25 spacers, but not sure really needed. Width nice to max' within reason. Your experience re highway and general use??
    Enjoy. More.
    --NE

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Understand that when I got my car in 1987 tire technology was just changing tremendously so Gatorbacks and XGTs were lightyears better than the XWX which had very stiff sidewalls but they rode like crap by comparison and the breakaway characteristics were horribly very sudden. I don't know what the repros are like now? I wanted performance and that 235F x 245R set up was great. Lot's of us west coast Bora owners did that at the time. Except for some track driving I never changed that set up. I really liked the more aggressive looking stance too. This was 1987 and it wasn't a terribly vintage car yet and the car was like brand new when I got it with 2K miles on the clock.

I did drive at top speed plenty of times including for hours on end in Nevada so I really needed the high performance rating. That's probably one of the few places to still do that though I haven't been on those roads since the early 1990s. The only place to do that sort of driving where I live now is at the track.

12. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Mostly driving locally CA and even in NV seems under far deeper scrutiny now, save in select places, short bursts. Alas it seems worse rurally, owing to speedtraps. On return from Bonneville in mere POS rental car, NV trooper recorded triple digits. Money trap. No other car in sight. Radar.

Great you had the experience then. I do trust the BFG TAs in my current use. Rebushed, car feels like new. Meanwhile would not do XWX today for any reason. But, love to hear actual modern current usage from other Bora owners, specific and objective reports.
    THANKS.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My unrestrained adventures of any duration were mostly on highway 50 from about Fallon to Ely. It was always nearly empty of ANYTHING back then. You can learn one hell of a lot of lessons, some unfortunate, about a car and it's systems on a road like that.

Enjoy the car and driven like you are driving it it should serve you very well.

14. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Your comment re 235F x 245R has been on my mind, even though my 215s are new-ish. Besides parking effort, any other drawbacks?? Protection from oversteer a little better (no spare tire aboard)? With the .25 spacers? Rear only?
    Effective ratio change??
    IF you are NOT running these sizes nowadays, WHY?
    --NED

15. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    #16 GLB, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back on alternators (and A/C). The Bora, Merak, QP3 and probably Kyalami all use Gates Polyflex belts which require a 60 degree sheave instead of the more common 36 degree type. If you swap the alternator or A/C compressor, you might need to get special sheaves made.

A company, I think in the Netherlands but I've lost the link, had a way to use a Sanden 508 in a Merak. I've attached the drawing of the pulley modification they used.

For a Bora, with the battery in front, remote sensing is the best idea. I can see that a Merak, with the battery practically on top of the alternator, wouldn't need it.

FWIW, I discovered that the QP3 75A alternator has the same pulley diameter and appears to have compatible mounting ears. I couldn't measure very precisely because it's still in the car. That's hardly a modern upgrade, but it would have the right pulley and more capacity if you can find one. The manual says it's a Delco unit, but it doesn't look like the common 10si or 12si. Maybe it's used by Opel since the cast fan says "Germany".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Thanks for alternator tip. Sheave angle... must double check--mine's a US 4.9 model, 1973.
    I'd thought remote sensing, and a 94amp 12si. Not too massive hopefully, for 6000rpm. Anyone having recently done actual changeup, please advise extensive details.

A/C system--those with actual recent experience seem to have all gone new-style 134a, replacing all hoses, and going to lighter rotary style pump. Estimated about US$3500. Not yet for me. SoCal.

Again, thanks.

17. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    There's apparently still some R-12 around, but production stopped in '96, so it's not a long term solution. We've converted four or five cars to R-134a, but it was usually a wholesale replacement of the HVAC system with a professionally designed kit - no smarts on our part. A friend here in town (Dallas) has a business making R-134a conversions for unusual cars. Although I could not talk him into a kit for the huge Bora market, he did volunteer to help me size the condenser and expansion valve when I get around to it. I will try to refit and keep the York. After all, do you really want to give up your "Baruffaldi Frizioni (Italia)" clutch - even if you do have to crawl under the car to see it?

18. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Thought I would interject.
    First and foremost, stay with R-12.
    There is no way to put 134 into a Bora system and get ice cold air out. Period.
    UNLESS you change EVERYTHING; i,e. condenser, evaporator, expansion valve, compressor etc. to name just few items.
    If interested in how I tackled the AC issue 12 years ago, please look at what I posted on the Yahoo Maserati group back then:

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/maserati/conversations/messages/17493

BTW; 103 degrees today; Bora's AC still awesome, per above.

Thanks.

19. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    A normal conversion requires a condenser with about 20% more heat transfer capacity, barrier hose, a different expansion valve, new receiver-dryer, at least R-134a compatible seals for the York compressor, and probably at least an adjustment of the isobaric valve. The evaporator can stay, but the whole system has to be flushed because the oil is incompatible. The existing R-12 stock is going to finally be exhausted and there will be no choice.

Did you try to just dump in R-134a?

20. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    I regret you didn't read the link, which summarizes my personal experience.

As to R-12 supplies running out; not likely in our lifetime.

See: R12 Refrigerant | eBay

Finally, R-12 is still widely used as a fire retardant on submarines and aircraft.
    It is still being manufactured outside the USA.

Over and out.

Regards.

21. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Nice tips re a/c!!
    Will consider deeply... and probably stay 12, oldstyle.

Now working to find original style screen mesh behind bumper area, in front of radiators. Wishing to attach same in FRONT of verticals, not behind, and noting limits to attachment fasteners--as hand or wrench cannot then work from back. Captive nuts on verticals I suppose.

Separately someone mentioned rear deck cover material unavailable--what substitutes well??

Again thanks for all.

22. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    LHM rebuilds for rams and switches...
    Jameson contact lost.. no response to e-mail and phone no no good. ???

Who now reliable for this?

Elliot... would you have recent info?
    ANYone?

23. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    The guy advertising in Ebay in New Zealand for rebuilding the rams is reliable. At one time he made replacement rams that were easily serviceable but his subcontractor for some of the machine work wanted a very large order of parts before he would tool up and there wasn't enough demand so he quit making them. Now MIE makes a replacement headlight ram that looks like it will be easy to service and rebuild when it needs it. I wish MIE would make the other two rams, although I suspect that Kerry will do so in the future, but it takes a good deal of money to tool up and to carry an inventory. Look for the guy in the Bora site on Ebay and contact him. As I said previously he is good and I trust his work.

24. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Highwaybora, some NOS grill mesh at McGrath Maserati here in the UK.

Parts | McGrath Maserati

Best regards.

Mark.