Too loose wheel bearings? 3500GT V.S. | FerrariChat

Too loose wheel bearings? 3500GT V.S.

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TridenteFury, Aug 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TridenteFury

TridenteFury Karting

Sep 28, 2014
    Ciao Tutti,

Just got thru putting new RIV shocks and bearings on front wheels... When I went for a first ride, there was some kind of clunking sound every time the car hit small bumps... The clunks could be felt thru the steering wheel...

First thought it was the lower shock mounts, where the eye of the shock had a too big ID for the 11mm bolt, but not the case its ID is 11.5mm just like the stock Girling shocks and also another aftermarket ones I had on hand...

I then tried to move the brake rotors back and forth, holding them @ 6 o'clock and indeed there was some kind of clunking sound, the rotor could move maybe 0.5 mm but not sure if this can create this clunking sound... I made sure not to over tighten the wheel bearings by tightening them to the point of resistance then backing off the mounting nut 1/4-1/2 turn...
    But in doubt if maybe too much free play....

Could too loose bearings create such a clunking sound??

Am still trying to localize the exact point of clunking sound, but not easy...

Grazie
    Carlito