Maserati Merak Group 4 Auction | FerrariChat

Maserati Merak Group 4 Auction

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by au-yt, Oct 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Graeme,

Complete fantasy there never was a Merak Group 4 so this is some chap's concoction...

Best regards,

Marc

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Kind of fun looking and cleanly done too!

I wonder if goes well or is just a poseur?

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well while there is absolutely no historical legitimacy the work seems quite impressive and no one, at least not in Europe, would do such a thing to sit on a concours lawn and look pretty, without serious engine work.

What is interesting about the normal Merak is great handling and lightweight engine block allowing very little inertia so this car must handle like a kart.

http://www.rmsothebys.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1087193

Best regards,

Marc

4. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    maybe not from the factory but nobody has ever raced a gr3 or gr4 spec car back in the day?

regards
    hf

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Not at International or national level. Even in little local races I have never heard of any Meraks being raced in formal sanctioned races anywhere. Of course many have been used in track days, club days, people putting on a helmet and enjoying some laps but that is not formal sanctioned licensed racing.

Best regards,

Marc

6. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    Marc

There have been a few Merak race cars in formal sanctions if not FIA I don't know of any when the car was still in production

In the 90's a red one running the shamrock rally in aus or nz. A (stock like )blue one that runs in the U.K., a full race prep white one that ran in Japan and another full race prep yellow one in Italy. Both race prep ones have been for sale recently.

I'm sure I have left out a few since I'm just drawing from memory

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello HF,

Thanks for the info, did not know that, however I know the factory never prepped any racing Meraks and having reviewed all the photos they had in their media archives for each of the models covered in my book -MM Cozza and Collina were hugely helpful- I never saw anything but stock Merak photos. Likewise no one in the interviews I carried out for my book ever mentioned any and I did specifically fish for any and all special cars for each chapter: I dug really deep on the Bora Group 4's.

Any car modified by private entities does not have the cachet of a factory prepped car and none of these Meraks you mention raced at a high level so it is anecdotical (like a Khamsin that received a huge rear wing in wood once:)!) but it is nice that they were made and I would love to drive the auction car, it must be very agile and impressive:)

All the best,

Marc

8. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #9 hyenahf, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Marc

I'm aware of your wonderful research of the bora GR4 cars. I still have that mag article in sports car international from the 90's. sadly I missed out on your recentr "Citroen years" book in which I can no longer find a copy.

I always thought the layout on both the Merak and bora were more modern and sound than contemporary boxers, 308s ,Urraco's etc. it's just that the chassis were over built in terms of weight. Perhaps that's the reason you didn't see many Merak race cars even by privateers

One wonders how the factory would have turn Merak into a racer much in the fashion of the gr3 and 4 Panteras, GR4 308's and even the one off Urraco rally bob.

Cheers hf.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello HF,

Thanks my first Bora Group 4 drive and photoshoot was in 1995 for that article, a special memory:) It was short drive in #3001 that time, had a much longer one in 3000 in 2009 for the short version in Classic & Sportscar article and the full one in my book.

Speaking of which to answer your question it is readily available through my publisher, sent very securely packed and safely, I got paid long ago so this is not a commercial plug, just for your information:

Maserati - The Citroën Years 1968-75 - publications - Eau*Rouge Publishing

Re Merak racing and competitiveness potential It is always nice to wonder what if:)

Best regards,

Marc

10. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    marc

thank you for the link... time to place an order.

yes i have the "leviathan" C&S issue too. great photos from paul richard? colors are wonderful there. the 3001 and 3000 cars differ in detail. did you notice any difference in the way they drove? settings would make a huge difference i suppose.

all the best!
    hf

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello HF,

Enjoy the book:)

The photographer for the Leviathan article and book chapter was a French chap who has a company called Warm Up photo.
    Well 3001 has seen very little use and was made based on all that was learned with 3000 whereas 3000 has had several body versions and has also been in the wars once or twice.
    I drove 3000 properly at Paul Ricard (no h) but did not drive 3001 enough to compare. Bear in mind also one took place in 1995 the other in 2009.
    By the way 3001 has not come out off its Paris region hiding place....since that day in July 1995...but I hope we can have it and 3000 at our event in Burgundy June 22-25 next year.
    Anyway back on topic, look forward to finding out more about this seemingly very well made Merak Competizione:)

Best regards,

Marc

12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The estimate for this car seems a bit low doesn't it? Love it though, looks great

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I will always have a very soft spot for the merak. loved mine back in the day! looks really cool as a race car.

14. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    The estimated prices of the Maseratis in this auction, are very low because of ownership problems.

The cars are being sold with a bill of sale only, they have NO titles/papers/license with them, because all documents and ownership claims have been confiscated by the Italian tax police.

A court ruling has recently allowed the auction to go through, even though the real owner (yes one owner for all 400+ cars) tried to block it.

To me, it is not clear if the Italian tax authorities will claim ownership in the future.

Bid at your own peril :)

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Sorry Maseratiblue that is completely wrong, and information must not be managed like your Greek economy so I had to correct this. Mr Compiano used money that was not his to buy all these cars and they were seized by the government to repay the debt, it is the government which via RM Sotheby's is selling the cars so they absolutely will not want them back after they are paid.
    That is nonsense.

The reason there is no reserve is that the cars have in many cases (such as the Khamsin) no papers, have unclear past histories and have not been maintained but once you buy a car the bill of sale will make it possible to register a car in most countries.

For more background on the auction and what led to it read this.

https://k500.com/story-item/stop-the-auction-i-want-my-cars-back

Compiano is a modern day equivalent of the Schlumpf brothers, an acquisition addict. I wonder how he feels this weekend as the sale takes place.

FYI I have zero involvement with the auction, I just helped RM sort out the identity of the Khamsin in the sale.

Best regards,

Marc

16. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Why am I wrong exactly? What I say above is all true, the ownership documents are being held by the Italian tax authorities. Which is the real reason why the estimates are so low.

Also, many countries DO NOT accept a bill of sale and will not issue a license/title to such cars.

17. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Stories of a 3 hour wait just to register before this auction. I would be surprised if this level of interest will keep prices anywhere near those estimates which seem way too low even if you broke these cars for spares!!
    It will be fascinating to see

Julian

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The estimates are low to encourage bidding, the most important thing is the cars are sold at no reserve. All this is to generate as much income as possible for the government to refund those whose funds were taken and used by Compiano.
    I am sure different governments have different views on the acceptability of bills of sale. The main things is they want to be sure the car was not stolen and the person has right of ownership.
    I knew it would be a madhouse and the registration lines have confirmed it, the results will be quite interesting.

Best regards,

MS

19. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    The email sent out by RM just days before the auction confirms this: 281 of the cars are still seized by the government, the buyers money will be transferred to a government account and the car will be cleared from seizure and can be obtained by the buyer (without papers in most cases) once this proceedings are done. But all depends on the speed of italian government proceedings, which are often quite contrary to the speed of their cars in the 70s :).

20. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    No exciting racing history and not factory-converted imo. Hence worth less than an original road-going example. That's the way it has been since the dawn of the automobile until circa 2012. It's worth €25k tops to me.