3500 GT rear end removal | FerrariChat

3500 GT rear end removal

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by redfred84, Nov 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    While my car is down with ZF 5 spd maladies, I thought I'd address my leaking pinion seal, and axle seals. Would anyone know if removing the exhaust, and/or the fuel tank is necessary for extracting the rear end? I don't trust myself with the pinion part, so am thinking of taking the rear end to a shop, rather than doing it in the car.
    Many Thanks, RF.

PS. My exhaust is welded together, and is all one unit, so I am trying to avoid tampering with it.

2. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    If the only thing you need to do is replace the pinion seal it is best done with the rear end in the car. Just remove the nut on the yoke and pry out the old seal and replace it with the new seal. The nut on the yoke is quite tight, about 150 ft pounds. Before you remove the nut measure the torque to rotate the yoke. It should be 8-12 inch pounds. When you reinstall the nut start with 80 ft-pounds and measure the rotating torque. If it is not in the range of 8-12 inch pounds increase the tighting torque in 10 ft pound increments until you get the proper reading.
    You should also install the axle shaft seals while doing this

3. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Thanks for that Gene! I already have the axle seals & bearings in anticipation of this. I'll order up the pinion stuff and attack accordingly.
    Many Thanks, RF.