FCA to spin off Maserati, Alfa Romeo? | FerrariChat

FCA to spin off Maserati, Alfa Romeo?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by staatsof, Dec 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  2. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Oh boy in spades!

3. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    A shame, but Dodge and Jeep are Fiat's only consistently profitable brands. I actually predicted some time ago that Lancia would be dropped for good. Has anyone looked at their pitiful one-car range lately? Wow. Boy, how the mighty have fallen.

4. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Unlikely.

Maserati is taking off and Alfa is just set to begin.

FCA poured billions into Alfa-Maser so I would assume it's normal for them to have debt at the moment.

Levante is posting double digit profit margins.

I'm not saying it's impossible but unlikely in the short term.

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The money makers are the companies that I think will be sold because that's what an investment portfolio would want. Jeep is on the top of the list. Alfa might do ok, but that is not for sure until they get the dealers settled in N.A. and bring world sales up to a level even worth talking about. SM might not be able to choose wich company is sold.

6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Absolute and utter BS. This is what passes for journalism, the guy has probably had a few too many White Russians and will next claim that Putin hacked Sergio's emails.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mr Sweater is an idiot but he's not that stupid.

He only cares about FCA's stock price

8. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    I actually think it is possible. This is what I think will happen: Lancia will be killed off for good and Maserati alone will be spun off much like Ferrari was. The Granturismo has no life left in it. Sad but true :(

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #9 staatsof, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Well at least it generated some lively debate ... :D

The Lancia story is very sad but it's been a long time since they were interesting.

I still like the Grantourismo and I beleive it's up next for a face lift? If the Ghibli continues to sell well and the Levante takes off they should be OK. The
    QP needs to be more distinctive looking though as used to be. With enough sales for a few years then perhaps the Alfieri or something like it will be possible.

10. ciscoauto

ciscoauto Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Here comes the problem imho Staatsof, Maserati is not making real GTs but "$^& SUV :D and regular sedans. With maybe a GT on top... just like others.
    Lancia was killed because they didn't produced interesting cars (with some sparks I loved like the Delta or the Thesis).
    It's not a question of turnover, or this nonsense evergoing growth, we are in a luxury market and luxury is about image and dreams and what brings a Levante Diesel in term of dreams? nothing.
    On a short view yes, you get your growth and the only important thing for Mr Sweater, his bonus, on a long term view , you just killed the brand.
    But that doesn't matter if you don't love the brand. Soon Sergio will be gone, bragging about his results how he redressed a desperate situation like the fishmarket seller he looks like. But actually putting 100 years of glorious history in a drawer.
    Which boy will put a Maserati as his new phone/pc wallpaper (the new poster :) ) ?
    Citroen was killed the same way, not producing hydraulics any more, no styling, no special comfort, worse, it even rallied :) , bye bye what was Citroen.

On the contrary, BMW was making not so interesting cars (sorry bimmer lovers :) ), but began to produce some interesting engines in the last 20 years, made recently those iCars (i3, i8), creating a modern image and making the brand looking a bit more special than it is/was. Tesla is creating itself a real image. McLaren comes nearly out of nowhere in terms of road cars and are doing a good job to produce and market sports cars. Mazda still had the wankel, as bad as it is, because it was important for their image, and buyers still wanted that engine over anything else. Like or dislike those, but they are interesting and subject of discussion.

But this needs thinking on 20/30 years not on the next 6 months.