2002 Maserati cc | FerrariChat

2002 Maserati cc

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by heritage58, Jan 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. heritage58

heritage58 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
    Full Name:
    Tony Di Bernardo
    My wife and I have been looking; we found what seems to be nice car. $20K and same miles. It would interest me to know what concerns I should pass along to my PPI person concerning issues to look for. Also, in your opinion, is this too few miles for its age? I have a 308, which I don't drive much to keep it under 40. Big mistake? Thanks

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Clutch, clutch pump and if it is a Spyder the mechanical top motor and top wear. A lot of low mileage cars out there. Alarm can also be an issue.

3. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    I believe the heater cores are prone to fail, big PITA to change. Replacements still the same, though can be sourced as an Alfa part for less. Or so I've read, and the 2003 I looked at recently was leaking terribly from the heater core.

4. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    US market headers can be a big PITA, and are the one main difference between US and EU cars. Try to find a 2005 model.

5. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    #5 Tony H, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    I have a 2002 MT and have had no problems at all. The common consensus is the 2002's are bad (rumoured cowl shake) so is the price attractive enough? If you can get a later model at nearly the same price go for it. It sounds like the CC systems got better with later models but I still wouldn't get a CC. To me the real problem with it is not just that it wears clutches but that it can only be fixed by people who have the very, very expensive SD readers. These people are mainly dealers and they will drive the cost of ownership sky high.

Some actual issues
    1. Top straps stretch and top doesn't fold properly when going down. Can be fixed.
    2. Never heard of a header problem (these are not Ferrari's).
    3. If the heater hasn't failed by now it might be OK. No posts of recently failed heaters.
    3. Some variator (valve timing) comments but oil cleanliness may be key issue. The 4.2 engine is very reliable but it can be destroyed.
    4. Problem's seem to be nearly all CC related. (I am lucky, there were only 574 Spyder GT's, manual transmission, produced 2001 to 2007; so very rare.)

6. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad

2. If you are in the US, you will be able to take a good look at the headers the day the car eats the cats and lunches the engine.
    3. Change the heater core anyway. It's from an Alfa 166 - the whole heating system is. It will take a good mechanic 4-5 hours.
    4. The manual transmission, though rare, also has its foibles. The car was designed with the Cambiocorsa in mind. Get a Gransport if you can.
    5. The US/Japanese versions are heavier, slower and don't sound as nice. Those are facts.
    6. My brothers and I have owned quite a few of them.

7. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    You don't drive the 308 to keep it under 40????? What? Are you wasting away to a garage, by any chance???? :) Get in that car and make it your daily driver.

8. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    heritage58, the Maserati Life (url blocked here) forum gives a good overview of US owner experience and has some knowledgeable people on it. I've not seen cat failure discussions on this US forum.

9. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Cat/pre-cat failure on US cars is extremely common, and is often misdiagnosed. Only CC pump and relay failures (cheap to fix) are more common.
    I think there was a recall for the cam variator and fuel lines on early cars. Make sure the work has been done.

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Those cars are wonderful. I plan to buy a coupe myself!

11. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Make sure the rear ball joint joints aren't shot. They are integrated into the control arms and very expensive to replace.

Scott

12. heritage58

heritage58 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
    Full Name:
    Tony Di Bernardo