Selling options. | FerrariChat

Selling options.

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by The Surveyor, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    After a little dabble last year putting my 1968 Mexico on the market, I'm looking at moving it on with a little more determination.

Disregarding any external influences such as the US presidency or Brexit, what it the most effective way of selling a mid-value classic.

I'm in no rush to sell and want to maximise my return so given the large sellers premium I'm not wanting to go down the auction route. I have considered a consignment sale as the larger dealers have much better contacts, reputation, and can offer a part-exchange, but again the return on sale feels too low.

The other option is to market it myself with a spread of advertisements but do people buy cars like my Mexico from some random bloke from Newcastle England?

Does anybody have any real-life experiences or suggestions to guide me on this?

Cheers all

2. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I would always try to put it on the market myself, if you know a dealer well even as a consignment sale. You will be contacted by dealers anyway if you price the Mexico reasonably. Although it is very difficult at the moment to put "reasonably" in the right bracket. Comparable prices for good cars are hard to find, because everything i have seen on auction or at dealers recently needed serious work or was a complete basket case....

3. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Those are precisely my thoughts, for the limited costs involved I'm going to put out some adverts and see how it goes.

Is there much interest in classic Maserati at the moment, are decent usable cars selling?

4. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    My friend had a nice maser in consignmrnt since october. Price at market. No actions st all. Consignment company has good contacts and reputation. Car market looks dead to me at least for now

5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Paul.. Interesting question about selling your Mexico.. About a week and
    a half ago, I was contacted by someone from California (I think) who was looking
    to buy a Mexico.. Unfortunately, I did not write down his name. Perhaps he looks
    at Ferrarichat and will see this thread!

MIke